Why do banana's have so many calories in the menu app?

MikeToolin
MikeToolin Posts: 3 Member
When I enter a recipe with bananas, the calorie count goes off the charts. The banana calorie count is way wrong. What can I do to fix it?

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Bananas can be quite high in calories. It's best to weigh bananas with a food scale, as their sizes vary greatly.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    MikeToolin wrote: »
    When I enter a recipe with bananas, the calorie count goes off the charts. The banana calorie count is way wrong. What can I do to fix it?

Because the Food Database item that the Recipe Importer uses has incorrect Calorie information.

@Alex
    Since I cannot edit this item, could you please ask the Database Team to correct this? The Calories for some of the serving sizes seem to be correct, but I have verified that some are incorrect. It seems to be the default item that the Recipe Importer uses when trying to match a "banana" entry when creating a recipe.

Here is a link to the wrong item: ​http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_servings/241022633
    Here is a screen shot showing one of the serving size choices that is clearly wrong.

uudaf08zt3ol.jpg

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    CyberTone wrote: »
    MikeToolin wrote: »

Because the Food Database item that the Recipe Importer uses has incorrect Calorie information.

@Alex
    Since I cannot edit this item, could you please ask the Database Team to correct this? The Calories for some of the serving sizes seem to be correct, but I have verified that some are incorrect. It seems to be the default item that the Recipe Importer uses when trying to match a "banana" entry when creating a recipe.

Here is a link to the wrong item: ​http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_servings/241022633
    Here is a screen shot showing one of the serving size choices that is clearly wrong.

uudaf08zt3ol.jpg

That would be one heck of a banana!
  • MikeToolin
    MikeToolin Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks @CyberTone , @diannethegeek I thought I was doing something wrong. I just started using the app today and a grapefruit and banana breakfast had over 11,000 calories! :s
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Thanks @MikeToolin for reporting this issue and @CyberTone + @diannethegeek for the assist. I have filed a bug ticket with our team.