Anti-Anxiety/Anti-depressant cause weight gain/loss?

Options
I have had an anxiety disorder and mild depression for about 8 years now and we really should have got me some anti-anxiety medicine before I started high school because my anxiety was hell every day. But...we didn't. My mom finally took me to the doctor yesterday and he agreed that my anxiety levels are way too high, so he prescribed what he believes to be the safest- w/ the least side-effects: Lexapro. Lexapro is suppose to help with anxiety and depression, and, from what he told me, this medicine doesn't seem to cause really any side effects. I took it this morning, then, of course AFTER I took it, I jumped online and started doing some research on Lexapro. I found many pages of people talking about how they gained 15, 30, even 60 pounds while on Lexapro!!! :noway: I was like...ummmm...HELL NO! There were a few where people said they actually lost 10-20 lbs. while on Lexapro, but that was mostly men. A lot of the sites said they think the medicine messes with your metabolism and makes you gain weight a lot easier. Other sites said it makes you crave food more and makes it harder to resist food. A lot of people said it helped their anxiety and depression...but later caused more depression because of the weight gain. Most of my depression has been centered around my self-image and hating how I look (especially my weight). If I gain weight from this medicine, I don't know if I can handle it. I have been trying so hard to lose weight, and I'm going to continue trying hard, but I don't want it to be counteracted by this stupid medicine. :frown:
So....does anyone here take Lexapro? Have you experienced any weight-related side effects?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I was on them years ago and lost so much weight I went off them. I just could not eat.
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Really?? Are you male or female? I read somewhere that MOSTLY men lose weight from it and mostly women gain weight from it.
  • LaurieBLouise
    LaurieBLouise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    it isn't the medicine itself that causes the weight gain/loss, it's the side effects of the medicine. some increase your appetite and some decrease it. with me, it decreased my appetite but I got it back within a few months. you should talk to your psychiatrist. nothing like weight gain to give you even more anxiety. I wish you well!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I think you wont know until you try. Try them out and see what happens. If you feel you are gaining weight while sticking with your diet and exercise, then go back to the doctor and talk about finding something else.
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    hi~~~ i take two anti depressants... one is lexapro and the other is welbutrine. hard to tell if it caused my weight gain cause i have had alot of things going on for the past 2 years mentally and physically . but do not be afraid to get help.... concentrate on feeling better mind wise then work on the body... i am losing weight now... yes it feels good ... also to look at the scale and realize the #'s are going down instead of up , up and up.. ;-) depression and anxiety sucks...from coming on this site i have learned a lot , i wasnt eating enough so my body was holding on to the fat cells. in starvation mode... who knew... i am going to befriend you.. this site is amazing support.. you will love it here :-) welcome to mfp

lori
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    With that sort of med its very hard to judge what you, personally, will experience, same as it's hard to judge whether your anxiety will respond well to a particular med. All you can do is try it for a period of time, pay attention to both what it's supposed to do, and possible side effects, and go back to the doc if you notice anything concerning.
  • kdudz
    kdudz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was on Lexapro at one point and Cymbalta at another. Both made me gain roughly 25 lbs when I was on it. It slowed my system down so much that my metabolism just fell off a cliff.

I dieted, I hit the gym with a trainer and while I was in good shape underneath the fat I just couldn't shed the weight.

My dr. put me on topamax (an anti sezuire med) that has an off lable use for weightloss while I was on Cymbalta but that did not help at all.

Everyone is different though. I had a friend who was on an antidepressant for years and never gained an ounce.
  • megansprague
    Options
    I've never taken Lexapro but know people who have. In my experience, anti-anxiety meds--Abilify and Risperidone are what I've taken--are the ones that made me gain the most weight (almost fifty pounds). All I could think about was food and I ate and ate and ate to the point where I was at risk for developing diabetes because my blood sugar was so high. I was also completely inactive so that wasn't exactly helping. As other people have said already, it really depends on you as an individual. Everybody reacts differently. I have struggled with anxiety and depression but found a combination of a mood-stabilizer (Lamictal) and anti-depressant (Wellbutrin) to work best and they don't affect my weight.

Talk to your psychiatrist if you're concerned. A lot of times psychiatrists have their go-to drugs that have worked for other patients but this may not be the right one for you.
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    Hi!!
    I too have been diagnosed with anxiety/panic disorder, it sucks to put it bluntly!!! :wink: Back when I was first
    diagnosed, in 2003, I lost a TON of weight from being so nervous all the time. Then I got pregnant with my second
    son later that year, and gained 75 pounds during those 9 months!! I've never been able to fully lose it since having
    him, my weight goes up and down more than Oprah's does!!!! :laugh:
    Seriously though..... as you know, anxiety disorders and depression sort of go hand in hand, and meds are sometimes
    necessary just to have a "normal" quality of life. I gained weight over the past year, more than EVER in my life. I was
    on Cymbalta, and was also diagnosed with PCOS. Great, huh??? Anyhow, I had switched my meds to Zoloft and
    it's done a better job for me than the other one. I haven't been on Lexapro. The dr I have now said she doesn't want
    me to take meds that can cause weight gain, so she's conscious of it. Maybe talk to your doctor about trying something
    new?? Zoloft isn't a cure all, and I do have Xanax for emergencies too.... but a VERY low dose. You just have to see
    what's right for you!!! It took me a very long time and different trials to finally start feeling better, so don't give up!!! :flowerforyou:
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    *waves* How odd is it that this thread pops up just as I got back from the doctor eh?

Lexipro and I had no problems the first time around. If I remember right, I didn't really have an appetite which worked for me. ;D This time around, I'm on Citalopram which is "close" to Lexipro. I'm on this until Lexipro comes out with a generic (hopefully next month). I am guessing that my xanax won't do much in terms of weight gain/loss because I only take it as needed at this point. LOL I'm honestly more worried about my birth control pill making me gain weight. ;D

As people have said though, it's really all about how your body reacts to it. I'm lucky I've got a really cool doc who I can talk to very openly. I asked her about the weight thing and she said I shouldn't have a problem but if I do, we can look into adjusting as needed. She's the best!

I guess I can let ya know after a month if I gain or not. Cross fingers eh??
  • rosieef
    rosieef Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been on citalopram, which I think is the generic drug in Lexapro, on two different occasions. The first I took it for about a year and it didn't affect my weight or appetite at all. The second time I must've been in a very different place mentally, because it totally messed with my mind! It made me far more anxious than I was before I started taking it, and when my doctor increased the dose to try to reduce the anxiety, I became dangerously paranoid! :noway: Also my appetite disappeared and I couldn't eat anything for months, including when I moved to a more me-friendly drug. I lost quite a bit of weight, but it's not worth it - I'd rather be mentally stable and fat, than thin and completely loopy!

It's all about finding the right thing for you, some people respond better to one drug than others, some people cannot tolerate the side effects of one drug while other people don't see any side effects at all. I'd be very wary of chopping and changing between drugs if you can avoid it as it can make you far worse.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I gained sooo much weight on Lexapro. I became a cow!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Really?? Are you male or female? I read somewhere that MOSTLY men lose weight from it and mostly women gain weight from it.

I am female and I was on zolof.
  • carina_75
    carina_75 Posts: 88
    Options
    I think you wont know until you try. Try them out and see what happens. If you feel you are gaining weight while sticking with your diet and exercise, then go back to the doctor and talk about finding something else.

I didn't read on for the other posts because NOTHING will make more sense than the one above.

EVERYONE is soooo different you can't compare. Just so you don't think i don't know what i'm talking about i have had depression/anxiety for the last 20+ yrs. I was on lexapro at one point, and i didn't gain weight but my depression didn't get better. I changed to loads of different ones that through my own fault maybe i didn't give a chance, then for nearly 2years i was on mirtazapine which woked sooo good and helped me sleep-which was a huge problem as i had crazy dreams, racing thought etc, etc, It stopped pannc attacks and that, so i didn't give a second thought to my expanding belly etc. Anyway, when the sun starting shining in April (UK), i walked to the shop one day in a t-shirt and jeans, caught sight of myself in the mirror and came home and cried!! The muffin-top was so nasty i took, for me, the worst way out and drank..then i woke up and decided to bloody well change it. I went to the DRS (who knows my depression well) and said. 'i have to change my medication, because this extra weight is disgusting and i don't even eat loads of junk food'........well he looked at me and i swear in his eyes he said 'about time!' he nodded and i gave him my suggestion of what i thought would work for me (the internet is a good/evil tool!!!) and as i was looking into quitiing smoking too i said i wanted zyban/wellbutrin, and i know there is no weight gain involved). Insomnia unfortunatley is a side effect (and for me as a nightmare sufferer/anxiety) stupid choice really, but i was all about the weight loss at the time, so after 3-4 weeks i went back for a check up, because you know what (if you, or anyone is still reading??!!!) i felt on top of the world, so i could deal with the extra hour or two it took to get to sleep ( I need instant-less time to think!) but i did have energy i didn't know what to do with, and smiled...alot!!
    So,as of to today...i had (non-addictive) sleep help for 2 weeks. Got myself into a routine-because if i could change my eating habits I GOT DISIPLINE!!! I take a book to bed to get me dozy. My tummy can't stand any BS because mentally i know if i don''t eat that bi tof chocolate or chips i don't have to log the calories on MFP, so i feel good. I am a ****e liar so my exercise and food are just what i did-PROMISE!! xx

good luck and love to you all-- xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • beckydj
    beckydj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As somebody who has been on ADs for a long time now, it's not *technically* the AD that's making you gain weight. If you're on an AD and it's helping you, you are more likely to re-engage in your regular routines and are feeling better, etc. — hence the fact that you may be out in more social situations are not focusing solely on the fact that you are depressed or anxious, which leads to eating more or being back to your "regular self." It's not technically accurate to blame the meds themselves.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've been on Lexapro for about 2 months now and have dropped about 10 pounds while on it. I am female. My weight loss has come from having motivation to get off my couch and live the active lifestyle I like to. Also, my social anxiety has dropped significantly so I'm not afraid of the gym and I can shop for my own groceries instead of relying on my bf who tends to buy junk food. I'm not more or less hungry at all.
  • kunmingmom
    kunmingmom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm late to reply to this but wanted to let you know that I gained 30 lbs. on Lexapro. It caused me lots of unpleasant side effects. The main worry was the weight gain and the slowed metabolism. I have lost about 23 of the 30 by running, running and more running. I'm currently doing a bootcamp and have thrown in the 30 day shred for good measure.
    I will ALWAYS stay active (took a break after the adoption of my daughters) as it helps me sooooo much with coping and feeling good. I am leary of most antidepressants now and want to treat my anxiety and depression with lots of exercise and good food!!!
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was on Zoloft and gained weight , but in saying that I wasn't eating well or excercising. I suggest trying it , eating realy healthy and natural, excerise and seek a good councillor to get to the cause of your problems. Because although your on med to make life normal again. The problems still there and something you should work on
    =) wish you well