Calf pain

Options
iamalwayseryn1
iamalwayseryn1 Posts: 5 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been working out now for about a month. I've started and stopped working out a few times now in the past couple years. Every time I get about three weeks into it, I get pain in my calves. I started this time with the 21 Day Fix workout series and moved on to T25 when I finished that. About a week into T25 I am finding that my calves are starting to get really sore and not the kind of sore you get post workout but the kind of sore thats a pain in the butt and it's a little discouraging. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this and what you did to get around it?

Replies

• psoasi
    psoasi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough potassium?
    Is it a continuous pain or is it like a sudden contraction?
  • iamalwayseryn1
    Options
    It is continuous and seems to get worse post workout. I eat a banana daily but should I look into a potassium vitamin?
  • iamalwayseryn1
    Options
    I also wonder if it'll get better as progress.
  • lesliedias22
    lesliedias22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A few things...

1. Stretch your calves (this may include foam rolling and all of that type of stuff) before AND after workouts. Also stretch your hamstrings. Sometimes the calves are overworked because of entire posterior chain tension... Hold a stretch for MORE than 40seconds. Don't listen to the 20-30second bs.

2. Running shoes... Are they good for YOU? Supportive? Etc. Not wearing proper training shoes can be a big culprit.

3. Weak(er) glutes. They can cause stability issues lower in the chain.

Those are basically the top 3. I see this all the time in my practice.

• paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get enough calcium too. Calf pain I get relates to tight tendons so stretching is critical-give it a try.
  • iamalwayseryn1
    Options
    Is there some stretches you can recommend for this time of issue?
  • lesliedias22
    lesliedias22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Also... If you're not getting enough magnesium/potassium in your diet, this can also cause "cramp" type tension. Oh and I forgot to mention the most important factor of all...

HYDRATION!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It is continuous and seems to get worse post workout. I eat a banana daily but should I look into a potassium vitamin?

If it's continuous, then it's probably not cramps. I second foam rolling.
  • mlaccs
    mlaccs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am finding that several fozen bananas a day help. I like them as replacement for ice cream and such and make sure they are super ripe before freezing. Does wonders to help the pain you describe.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Tight calves and unconditioned muscles. If you're doing a lot on your toes (T25 does I'm sure), the impacting of bouncing on your toes affects your calves directly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Calcium, fibre and potassium are super important in aiding post workout recovery.. Make sure you are eating enough of that and spending enough time warming up and stretching afterwards
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It could be a lot of things. Stretching and proper nutrition are well and good, but if you're having pain, see a doctor. It could be an injury that you keep aggravating by not resting and reconditioning properly, and that could be making it worse. In my case, I have recurring hip pain on the right and calf pain on the left side due to having one leg slightly longer than the other.

It could be a lot of things. But the first step is to figure out what the cause is. After that, you can work on the solution. You might need physiotherapy. You might simply need exercises to strengthen the muscles.
  • Antinya
    Antinya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Tight calves and unconditioned muscles. If you're doing a lot on your toes (T25 does I'm sure), the impacting of bouncing on your toes affects your calves directly.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Depends on whether you're doing the straight or modified. Modified (which I do--and actually modify a little further on some exercises due to spinal injury) is still an excellent workout at a much lower impact. If you're following all the excellent advice above, are not injured in a way that requires resting the injury until it heals fully, and still having the pain, it might be worth giving the modified version a try to see if that helps at all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Stretch. It happened to me too a few months ago... it was really painful. I started taking extra time to stretch and now it hasn't been a problem anymore. My favorite stretch is to put my feet on a step and let my heels go down under the step... really gives you a great stretch. Do it 3x a day for a minute or so.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Antinya wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Depends on whether you're doing the straight or modified. Modified (which I do--and actually modify a little further on some exercises due to spinal injury) is still an excellent workout at a much lower impact. If you're following all the excellent advice above, are not injured in a way that requires resting the injury until it heals fully, and still having the pain, it might be worth giving the modified version a try to see if that helps at all.
    Actually whether or not one does the modified version or not, that doesn't change the disposition if their calf muscles are unconditioned or inflexible. Overuse of an unconditioned muscle can cause tendinitis and there are lots of tendons in the lower limbs. And overuse can happen even in modification.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    as for stretching before, there have been some recent studies that recommend that this is not the way to go, but rather an active warm up. like jumping jacks, lunge walks, skipping, a light jog or walk. stretching "cold" muscles can lead to injury due to not being loose.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    as for stretching before, there have been some recent studies that recommend that this is not the way to go, but rather an active warm up. like jumping jacks, lunge walks, skipping, a light jog or walk. stretching "cold" muscles can lead to injury due to not being loose.
    This is correct. DON'T go for static stretches to warm up. Rather go for dynamic stretches instead.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Does that workout involve a lot of jumping/plyo? Switch to something low impact.

And get supportive shoes.