Protein powder

Options
I am trying to add protein powder to my smoothies, but I'm having a hard time getting past the aftertaste. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i use hemp protein powder in my smoothies, it is made out of only hemp seeds so there's no aftertaste from sweeteners or anything else added to some protein powders..

edit: fixed typos
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I am trying to add protein powder to my smoothies, but I'm having a hard time getting past the aftertaste. Any suggestions?

Yea, find a good tasting protein powder. Isopure Dutch Chocolate is good. I also hear that Musclepharm combat birthday cake flavor is amazing. Just find something that actually tastes good and add it to a smoothie with some milk and peanut butter and whatever else you put in a smoothie.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its all personal taste unfortunately. I love dynmatize, muscle milk and use EAS to milk with my oatmeal. Others love ON but i think it sucks. If you can get small containers to start or individual packages if possible.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the big deal with protein powder. I haven't really ever had one that I couldn't drink. Are some really that bad? I guess if I'm just putting powder in water my main goal is to crush some protein quickly so maybe I'm not that concerned with the taste.

The Quest powder isn't bad. 50g of berries and stevia with it doesn't add very many calories makes it a bit more tasty as well
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Quest chocolate protein powder tastes like a chocolate milkshake.
    I'm currently using optimum nutrition 100% casein chocolate, which is.... not so nice :neutral:
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's personal taste. I hate most of them, but Trutein cinnabun is awesome! Their vanilla and banana are also good.

Edited to add that it blends great, too.
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you're planning to put it in fruit smoothies you could get away with an unflavoured one? Pulsin do great plant based unflavoured powders
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the protein powders that leave an aftertaste use aspertame or stevia for sweetener. Acesulfame-potassium and sucralose aren't as bad. Check the ingredients of your protein powder and when you try new ones, check which ones leave an aftertaste and which ones don't. :)
  • CeriArthur
    CeriArthur Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get unflavoured whey protein from myprotein.com when mix with food you can't even notice it's mixed in.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't understand the big deal with protein powder. I haven't really ever had one that I couldn't drink. Are some really that bad? I guess if I'm just putting powder in water my main goal is to crush some protein quickly so maybe I'm not that concerned with the taste.

The Quest powder isn't bad. 50g of berries and stevia with it doesn't add very many calories makes it a bit more tasty as well

Oh yes, there are some really bad ones...Shakeology literally taste like chalk.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Buy "NOW" UNFLAVORED whey isolate or eggwhite. No bad taste, no chemicals.
  • mday1981
    mday1981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quest chocolate protein powder tastes like a chocolate milkshake.
    I'm currently using optimum nutrition 100% casein chocolate, which is.... not so nice :neutral:

I've been using Optimum Nutrition Double Chocolate for years. One 30g scoop mixed with milk, just like a chocolate milkshake. Their chocolate casein is the bomb!
  • TheGetFitGal
    TheGetFitGal Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried whey vanilla protein powder?if yes does it taste good
  • abcreed
    abcreed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition and Muscle Pharm make some tasty ones (and they dissolve easily without leaving clumps)
  • kalislim
    kalislim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hated most protein powders and shakes until I tasted premier protein in vanilla and I mix in fruits, pb2 etc. I found them at Costco they sell them at other stores as well.
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Anyone tried whey vanilla protein powder?if yes does it taste good

I used it in my oatmeal but prefer chocolate or other flavors for shakes. But it's a good base if you are mixing with things like berries or veggies.

And if you don't mind the cost, you can use Quest protein powder. You can bake with at least some of them. So protein pancakes, muffins, all the good stuff, etc..