Train. Eat. Study. Train. Repeat.

Options
I've come to realise that gaining weight is far more difficult than losing weight. But I've also come to realise that anything worth doing in life will never come easy.

I've been a member on myfitnesspal for as long as I can remember. Initially I used to lose weight. However, my training regime has become more vigorous over the past few years. I currently training a minimum of 14 times a week. 1 cardiovascular session and 1 weights session per day. A typical day would consist of a run of between 10-15 km and an 1:30 min weight session. I realise that my running is counterproductive to my weight gain but I'm a serious competitor in the road running field. My personal best for 10 km is 38 mins and 21.1 km 1:29. I've recently cut down my training distance and I currently eat 3000 to 3500 calories per day.

This time last year I was 56.6 kg with 2% body fat. Now I'm 64.7kg and 171 cm with 6%. My aim is to get to 70- 75kg. I've put on 4.7kg in 60 days.

My reason for posting is the fact that I'm stuck between gaining mass and keeping slim which is a difficult thing to do. I want to focus on being cut with summer coming up in the southern hemisphere but I don't want to slim down so much that I start losing the gains I've made in terms of muscle mass.

I'm considering a supplement. I currently use ON gold standard whey and I've used ON casein in the past. I've also used ON creatine but experienced severe stomach cramps with running. I've looked at supplements such as VP MD2 and red line to cut as well as animal stak to fill out. But I don't know if I should just pursue healthy eating programme.

Replies

• RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Your body will adapt to your activities + diet. If your activities push it towards being slim then your best option is to counter it with your diet. Aka you'll need to eat more than you're comfortable with.

As far as supplements they're not needed of you have your diet down but if you have the money they do help. Protein powder is always good. Haven't had animal stak, but I use animal m-stak which is similar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you want to activity add mass, you need rest. So training 14x a week is going to make it difficult. In the end, you need to have a plan that is addressing your goals. So why not 3 days of full body lifting and cut down cardio to 2-3 short sessions a week. After you gain mass, then you can add in more cardio.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to lose your gains then you could just recomp for summer months = eat at maintenance and lift heavy.

I second what PSU is saying if you still want to add mass over the summer months...