1200cals + exercise cals

Options
I was reading about net calories and eating exercise calories back. And read a great comparison between our bodies and cars...If you fill your gas tank up half way and go for a long drive...it'll run out of gas, run on empty for a while and then break down. Just like our bodies.

I understand eating exercise calories(although I still get a little nervous about it lol)...but sometimes I find it physically impossible to eat them all. For example, this past week I've been eating fruits and vegetables more than I ever have. I've been drinking more water. And I've just been an all-around healthier person. Surprisingly, I fill up pretty quickly. Drinking more water has made me realize I'm not as hungry as I thought. So, I usually find it hard to finish my allotted 1200calories for the day. And then I workout...I try to burn at least 500cals a day...which makes me hungrier and therefore I eat my 1200cals and sometimes 100-200 more. But I can't imagine eating more than that. I know I need to but I hate the uncomfortably full feeling so I don't.

I'm really working on adding more of all the right foods...so it's definitely a learning process(and I enjoy it). Hopefully by the end of summer I'll be a lean mean calories burning machine that likes to eat all of those calories back! lol

Replies

• Musicmedicine
    Musicmedicine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How many meals a day are you eating? I had the same exact problem until I started breaking meals down to a lot of small meals for the day. It raised my overall urge to eat. And try adding extra virgin olive oil into your diet. it's healthy and packed with calories... or add nuts.
  • rachielyon
    rachielyon Posts: 56
    Options
    One thing you can try to do is drink a protein shake after you work out. It makes you full short term but won't make you feel sick like eating when you aren't hungry does. :o)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Not that fruits and veggies are bad, but you need to add some higher calorie foods to your diet to get those calories in without overstuffing yourself. Adding a handful of nuts almonds will give you an extra 200ish calories right there! All natural peanut butter, same thing. Avocados are also high in calories and GOOD fats.
  • krevill
    krevill Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just work on the policy that I try to not eat all my exercise calories (although I mostly run into the first 100 or so) in the week but they come in very handy at the weekend when I want to enjoy the odd drink or two!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It's all about living a healthier lifestyle, one you can live with for the rest of your life. Eating too few calories is as unhealthy as eating too many.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    I was reading about net calories and eating exercise calories back. And read a great comparison between our bodies and cars...If you fill your gas tank up half way and go for a long drive...it'll run out of gas, run on empty for a while and then break down. Just like our bodies.

I understand eating exercise calories(although I still get a little nervous about it lol)...but sometimes I find it physically impossible to eat them all. For example, this past week I've been eating fruits and vegetables more than I ever have. I've been drinking more water. And I've just been an all-around healthier person. Surprisingly, I fill up pretty quickly. Drinking more water has made me realize I'm not as hungry as I thought. So, I usually find it hard to finish my allotted 1200calories for the day. And then I workout...I try to burn at least 500cals a day...which makes me hungrier and therefore I eat my 1200cals and sometimes 100-200 more. But I can't imagine eating more than that. I know I need to but I hate the uncomfortably full feeling so I don't.

I'm really working on adding more of all the right foods...so it's definitely a learning process(and I enjoy it). Hopefully by the end of summer I'll be a lean mean calories burning machine that likes to eat all of those calories back! lol

Eat more calorie dense foods. Nuts, meats (if your not a vegetarian or vegan), eggs, cheese and the like. These will all provide a lot of calories for a small quantity. Also good fats like olive oil in a salad or flax seed oil supplements will help. Even ground flax seed will help as it is fairly high calorie because of all the oil in it. They are very good for you, and most people when restricting calories neglect these good fats to their detriment.
  • Keisha604
    Keisha604 Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This helps a lot. I'm really new to all of this 'healthy for life' eating...so I love learning all that I can. I'll definitely be adding more nuts to the diet. I already eat chicken and eggs and protein shakes.....and as for flax seed, my boyfriend has been telling me to mix it in to my oatmeal and things like that so now that you folks are saying the same..I might have to listen! lol
    Thanks again. =)