Abs and Strength Training

Options
I recently started lifting 10 lb dumbbells following a modified Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 routine. This workout focuses on arms, back, and thighs. Will I lose fat on my abs following this routine, or should I add additional ab excercises using dumbbells or cable weights? Are there any in particular that would be beneficial?

I am excercising on a deficit consuming 1200 calories max per day. Has anyone experienced results on a deficit using arm-focused workouts?

Please add me if you are female and do weight training. I'm new to weights and would love friends who are also lifting.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What exactly are your goals?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Exercising body parts directly improves the muscle underneath the fat. It DOESN'T reduce the fat directly regardless of how often you work them or how hard you work them. Fat loss is a result of being in a caloric deficit and the extent of how you lose fat in certain areas of your body is due to genetics.
    Just work on getting your overall body fat percentage down. Keep working out the areas to improve muscle conditioning and retaining lean body mass.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    popupvideo wrote: »
    I recently started lifting 10 lb dumbbells following a modified Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 routine. This workout focuses on arms, back, and thighs. Will I lose fat on my abs following this routine, or should I add additional ab excercises using dumbbells or cable weights? Are there any in particular that would be beneficial?

I am excercising on a deficit consuming 1200 calories max per day. Has anyone experienced results on a deficit using arm-focused workouts?

Please add me if you are female and do weight training. I'm new to weights and would love friends who are also lifting.

So many things wrong with this...

First, 1200 should be your min consumed per day, not max.
    Second, losing fat on your abs has nothing to do with an exercise and everything to do with being at a deficit. Your body chooses where it wants to store fat...there's no such thing as spot reducing.
    Third, if you're doing ICF 5x5, it should be a full body routine...even if it's modified as you say so that the accessory lift are more arm/back/thigh focused, you should still be working out all of your muscles on the main lifts.
  • popupvideo
    popupvideo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 5'5" and 135 lbs. I'd like to get down to 115 lbs, or at least look around 110-115. I've never lifted a weight in my life before this week and want to try it as an alternative to doing pure cardio for fat loss.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    popupvideo wrote: »
    I recently started lifting 10 lb dumbbells following a modified Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 routine.

Third, if you're doing ICF 5x5, it should be a full body routine...even if it's modified as you say so that the accessory lift are more arm/back/thigh focused, you should still be working out all of your muscles on the main lifts.
    This.
    Also it doesn't sound like you're increasing your weights. A strength routine like ICF asks you to add weight every workout.