Portion control for men and women using just your hand!

Options
I am finding it so hard to figure out portions while eating in general. I don't want to also live my life using measuring cups and scales. I found this website and I'm really excited to try it. Here is the premise:

One hand for women, two for men:
Your palm determines your protein portions.
Your fist determines your veggie portions.
Your cupped hand determines your carb portions.
Your thumb determines your fat portions.

Here is the website if anyone is interested.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide

I'm going to give this a try! Let me know if you try it too.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I don't mind weighing things...and after a while you can just eyeball things and know. But do whatever works for you, thats the main thing :smile:
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    That sounds like it has way too much room for error. I'm at a point i need to keep a tight diary or I'll just be at maintenance or eating too much, so a scale is my best option. Using a scale really doesn't take that much time at all, and actually less time than trying to eyeball a handful of something, hoping it's good enough.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I will stick with my food scale.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    No. I've got disproportionately small hands and would starve if I used them to measure my portions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Food scale > all.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This doesn't seem very practical. I don't often cook meals where I have individual portions of veg, starch and protein just sitting on a plate. I enjoy creativity.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I learned that in WW years ago, and yes, it helps. I, too, don't want to get so deep into the whole calorie deal that I'm weighing my taco sauce! lol.......I'm prone to obsessive thinking anyway. I sure do not need to increase that tendency.

• rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you if this helps with your weight loss journey. For me, this would be too restrictive. My veggie portions are usually at least a full plate's worth, which is still very low-calorie. I also tend to eat fairly low carb without trying (usually below 100g), and most of my carbs come from my veggies or daily treats.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It can work to a point. The authors are going by general standards and there are many people who have unproportioned hand size to their bodies (don't think sexual here). Also when they started going into somatotypes, I quit reading. At that point, there's broscience involved and leads me to believe it's more a sales pitch for other services.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Agree with the previous poster, I would want more veggies and less starches.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Food scale > all.

This
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, a general portion control guide is very useful to those not interested in having to weigh/measure every bit of food they consume.