Green smoothies

Does anyone have any great green smoothie recipes/juices that won't taste green or super vegetabley? I want to try and stop having my high sugar smoothies but can't stand the green smoothie I was recommended. Any recipes would be awesome :)

Replies

• Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    I don't make a ton of smoothies, but I find that pineapple usually does a good job of hiding the vegetable taste.
    I blend 1/2 cup pineapple, 1 cup kale, vanilla protein powder, and milk or reduced sugar orange juice plus ice.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    I do: baby spinach, iceberg lettuce, 1/2 banana, 1/2 Apple, 1/2 pear, celery, fresh ginger and fresh lemon juice. Sometimes I use chilled green tea or coconut water instead of water to thin it out.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Bowsergirl wrote: »
    I don't make a ton of smoothies, but I find that pineapple usually does a good job of hiding the vegetable taste.
    I blend 1/2 cup pineapple, 1 cup kale, vanilla protein powder, and milk or reduced sugar orange juice plus ice.

pineapple sounds like a great idea to add in with the green I never thought of that :)
  • KT_3009
    I do: baby spinach, iceberg lettuce, 1/2 banana, 1/2 Apple, 1/2 pear, celery, fresh ginger and fresh lemon juice. Sometimes I use chilled green tea or coconut water instead of water to thin it out.

May try this out.. Sounds delicious
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    edited October 2015
    My current favorite is spinach, frozen pineapple and frozen mango. Very refreshing!
  • KT_3009
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    My current favorite is spinach, frozen pineapple and frozen mango. Very refreshing!

Yum sounds delish! What liquid do you put in with that?
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    I have a smoothie everyday for breakfast. My current one is a banana, frozen strawberries, handful of fresh spinach, tbsp of chia seeds, half cup of milk, and 1/4 cup of orange juice, and about a cup of water.
  • KT_3009
    I've never had a smoothie with chia seeds that sounds interesting! These recipes all sound so good aha
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    Not very cheap, but Panera has some very yummy power smoothies made with plain greek yogurt that are only about 200 calories.
  • Zoenkylesbee125
    Zoenkylesbee125 Posts: 38 Member
    My favorite has baby spinach, frozen banana, almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla protein powder and some chia seeds. Tastes like a cinnamon roll! Yum
  • KT_3009
    zoesbee125 wrote: »
    My favorite has baby spinach, frozen banana, almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla protein powder and some chia seeds. Tastes like a cinnamon roll! Yum

Sounds so good! May need to put this on my to try list :)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    KT_3009 wrote: »
    rockmama72 wrote: »

Yum sounds delish! What liquid do you put in with that?

Just water! The frozen fruit makes it like a slush. It's not very substantial--usually about 100 calories--but it gives me a couple of produce servings.
  • roxyish71
    roxyish71 Posts: 161 Member
    4 oz frozen pineapple
    4 oz frozen mango
    1 oz spinach
    1/2 oz kale
    1/2 banana
    8 oz water

So good.
  • KT_3009
    Yum that sounds really good! Pineapple and mango are my faves so I will have to stock up and make this
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Spinach, cucumber, hemp, a kiwi, ice cubes or water, and some stevia drops if needed.
  • KT_3009
    Kiwi is such a good idea!! Thankyou
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Man I LOVE pineapple in my smoothies. It's so delicious.

I use a bunch of different frozen fruit--mangoes, mixed berries, peaches, whatever I find at the store. A banana and greek yogurt make them creamy. I use kale in my morning smoothies, since I usually have a salad of spinach and arugula for lunch.

The suggestion for cinnamon sounds great--I will have to try that!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Good Afternoon OP - I primarily juice. Here's my daily recipie:

2 cups kale
    2 cups spinach, arugula, chard (mix)
    1 cup beet
    2 carrots
    1 medium gala apple
    1/8 pineapple

I have also found that juicing the veggies first then the fruit really cuts down the taste of the veggies. For the above recipe, I follow the order that they are listed and the juice predominately tastes like fruit.
  • KT_3009
    Good Afternoon OP - I primarily juice. Here's my daily recipie:

2 cups kale
    2 cups spinach, arugula, chard (mix)
    1 cup beet
    2 carrots
    1 medium gala apple
    1/8 pineapple

I have also found that juicing the veggies first then the fruit really cuts down the taste of the veggies. For the above recipe, I follow the order that they are listed and the juice predominately tastes like fruit.

That sounds really nice and refreshing! Will be giving this a go for sure :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Half an apple and half a lemon added to a green smoothie or juice always seems to make it manageable to me. The green part of my smoothie/juices is usually made of some combination of spinach, kale, broccoli and cucumber (and minimal celery which I like raw but tends to make my juices and smoothie's too.. vegetable-y). Carrot or beet also takes away the "vegetable"-ness, but I'd probably still add the half of an apple.
  • heart3313
    heart3313 Posts: 89 Member
    If I made a regular smoothie I just add a cup or kale or spinach...it's easy and it doesn't change the taste much :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I have a smoothie everyday for lunch. I chop and change the ingredients sometimes, but the base is always the same.

30g chocolate protein powder
    50g raspberries
    50g blackberries
    50g avocado
    35g sachet mixed berry oats
    1 whole banana weighed
    15g chia seeds
    25g spinach and/or kale
    400ml unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • KT_3009
    heart3313 wrote: »
    If I made a regular smoothie I just add a cup or kale or spinach...it's easy and it doesn't change the taste much :)

Good idea :)
  • TXthunderstorm
    TXthunderstorm Posts: 15 Member
    zoesbee125 wrote: »

Sounds good
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    My smoothies generally include cucumber, carrot, celery, ginger, hemp seed, flax meal, shredded coconut, fresh lemon juice, tofu, blueberries (or other berry), half a banana, mango or pineapple and then I add either apple or kiwi.

I add a lot of greens, so it is a little green tasting, but doesn't bother me. As I saw someone else mention, pineapple is good for covering the taste. A little bit of pineapple goes a long way.
  • KT_3009
    veganbaum wrote: »
    My smoothies generally include cucumber, carrot, celery, ginger, hemp seed, flax meal, shredded coconut, fresh lemon juice, tofu, blueberries (or other berry), half a banana, mango or pineapple and then I add either apple or kiwi.

I add a lot of greens, so it is a little green tasting, but doesn't bother me. As I saw someone else mention, pineapple is good for covering the taste. A little bit of pineapple goes a long way.

Sounds super yummy! I'll have to give some things ago and see which I like best :)
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    I agree that pinepple hides the veggie taste of the kale.

I like this, kale, spinach, pineapple, Apple, banana, a little avocado and ice water
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    i always use 2oz of orange juice in my green smoothies now.
    i don't drink nor care for orange juice, hubby had some and i was low on pineapple juice so i used some and i don't know what the orange juice magically does to the greens but, my green smoothies have been very enjoyable ever since..

my favorite that i usually make often is:

4oz organic baby spinach
    3oz frozen ripe banana
    2tbsp hemp hearts or 20g of hemp protein powder (hearts are better)
    3oz 100% pineapple juice
    2oz simply orange juice
    1 1/2 tsp of matcha tea powder
    2 drops ez-sweet (1 drop equals 2tsp version)

i swap the pineapple juice with unsweeten vanilla almond milk and leave out the tea powder when i have smoothie late in the day..still tasty that way too to me.

• KT_3009
    i always use 2oz of orange juice in my green smoothies now.
    i don't drink nor care for orange juice, hubby had some and i was low on pineapple juice so i used some and i don't know what the orange juice magically does to the greens but, my green smoothies have been very enjoyable ever since..

my favorite that i usually make often is:

4oz organic baby spinach
    3oz frozen ripe banana
    2tbsp hemp hearts or 20g of hemp protein powder (hearts are better)
    3oz 100% pineapple juice
    2oz simply orange juice
    1 1/2 tsp of matcha tea powder
    2 drops ez-sweet (1 drop equals 2tsp version)

i swap the pineapple juice with unsweeten vanilla almond milk and leave out the tea powder when i have smoothie late in the day..still tasty that way too to me.

Wow that sounds amazing! Might need to go out grocery shopping and pick some of these ingredients up
  • KT_3009
    I agree that pinepple hides the veggie taste of the kale.

I like this, kale, spinach, pineapple, Apple, banana, a little avocado and ice water

Avocado in a smoothie seems so interesting