Best way to improve running time?

I never, in a million years, ever thought I would ask a question about running. I used to have the mindset of "I can't run", "my body isn't built to run" or "I hate running". However, over the last couple of years, I have discovered the I really and truly have the capacity to change my mindset. So, I've been working towards a 5K. Today, for the first time ever, in my whole 48 years of life, I ran 3.1 miles on the track! I've never even run a mile before! I've been jogging in intervals, but today I decided to see how far I could go and it turns out I could go the whole distance! However, I don't think I was even at a 12 minute mile pace (I tried using the stopwatch app on my phone, but I must have pressed the pause button by accident). My HRM said I did it in 48 minutes, however there were 2 walking laps (warm up and cool down) in that plus a bit of stretching. So my question is, should I keep running the 3 miles at my comfortable pace and will that just keep improving or should I go back to intervals, but work on a faster pace?

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    You will get two opinions on this generally when the speed question comes up. Some say just run faster, HIIT style training. I think that has a limit, in particular when you want to run medium-long distances. I would advise slowly increasing your mileage, by about 10%, each week. Most running coaches will tell runners to build up a strong running base (increased mileage) before working on speed work. If you look at running training plans published by the Olympic track and field team you will see off season they work more mileage. The reason for this is it allows your body to learn how to be more efficient, that is not generally something you can intuitively pick up when running at maximal speeds.

Slowly expanding your mileage base will also keep your chance from an overuse injury down by allowing you to slowly adjust to the increased demands you will place on your body.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    armylife wrote: »
    You will get two opinions on this generally when you ask the speed question. I would advise slowly increasing your mileage, by about 10%, each week. Most running coaches will tell runners to build up a strong running base (increased mileage) before working on speed work. If you look at running training plans published by the Olympic track and field team you will see off season they work more mileage. The reason for this is it allows your body to learn how to be more efficient, that is not generally something you can intuitively pick up when running at maximal speeds.

Slowly expanding your mileage base will also keep your chance from an overuse injury down by allowing you to slowly adjust to the increased demands you will place on your body.

I often see two suggestions, speedwork or added mileage. The people I know with the most experience and success are the ones who suggest more miles. Build a base first. Speedwork/intervals later.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Run hills. It's proven to increase strength, speed and endurance. just make sure you alter your form when going uphill. also, change of scenery. That track is going to get old and boring pretty quickly. One of the simplest and true running mantras is that to run faster you must first run further. It increase stamina / endurance and it will take several months to build your speed but it will happen.as you lose weight, you'll get faster as well for the simple fact that you're not lugging around as Much weight. Side note, I know how you feel. I did cross country in high school and even then I hated it, I was always dead last, I couldn't run the full 5k without taking a walking break or 2 and trust me my time never got under 12 min/mi. The other day I astounded myself with a 7:15 average for a 4 mile run . (Typically though lately I'm at 9) but it happened slowly due to taking up the sport again in the past 16 months.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Slowly build up your mileage -- a jump from less-than-a-mile to a 5k is probably a bit extreme. I'm excited for you that you did the whole 5k distance, but don't just keep running the 3 miles. Mix it up, with runs 1-3 miles, do walk-run intervals, and keep to the 10% rule. Running too much too soon is a great way to sideline yourself and start back at square one. As you increase your mileage and put in more time running over the course of weeks and months, your time will drop without you having to concentrate on speed at all.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited October 2015
    ^ What @kristinegift said ^

Now is not the time to focus on speed; now is the time to build your endurance, your aerobic base, and get your body used to the stresses of running. Running the distance once doesn't mean your body is already adapted. It takes time and repetition and slowly working up distance to allow the body to undergo the necessary physiological
    changes.

@forevermaryb You are absolutely right that running also involves some mental toughness. The good news is that is also made easier by adopting a sane approach to training. As Kristine said, you'll pick up speed basically automatically by putting in the time to build your base safely.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    ^ what @kristinegift and @mwyvr said ^

I'm also 48 and just started running 5 months ago. My first 2 or 3 weeks I spent running 5k's every other day, trying to improve my speed until I learned that the right way to improve your speed when you start is to run slower. Seems counterintuitive but it's absolutely correct for the reasons @mwyvr states. Your body needs to adapt and change to increase efficiency and build up a tolerance to the physical stresses. The science behind it is really very interesting.

This is anecdotal, but in my case I went from running my first 5k in 38 minutes to running it in 26:30 in just 4.5 months doing only slower runs (slow enough that I could carry on a conversation with running out of breath) except for a handful of races and faster paced runs.

By going slower I was able to go farther and longer, giving my body a better chance to adapt.

• forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Thank you for the replies. It's interesting how different running is for me versus other aerobic activity. I didn't start from the couch and went for a 5K. For almost 3 years, I've been working out at least 5 days per week for 45 minutes to an hour of Zumba, spin class, elliptical, plus I'm an avid hiker (often peaks over 4000 ft). Running was always, for me, something other people did. I will work on slowly increasing distance.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Try working on your endurance, keep gradually increasing your distance and with time your speed will improve.