Sodium

Options
Tips on lessening sodium consumption? I always seem to go over :(

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Sauces, dressings, soups, canned items. You don't really need to worry about going over though if you don't have a health condition that will be affected from it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    https://www.kidney.org/news/ekidney/june10/Salt_june10

Top 10 Tips for Reducing Salt in Your Diet

When it comes to dietary sodium, less is certainly best, yet Americans today consume 50% more than the recommended daily quantities of sodium. Diets high in sodium increase blood pressure levels. High blood pressure damages the kidneys over time, and is a leading cause of kidney failure. To help Americans reduce salt intake to the ideal one teaspoon per day, the National Kidney Foundation offers 10 tips to reduce sodium in your diet. To help Americans reduce salt intake to the ideal one teaspoon per day, the National Kidney Foundation and Council of Renal Nutrition member Linda Ulrich offer 10 tips to reduce sodium in your diet.

1. Use fresh, rather than packaged, meats. Fresh cuts of beef, chicken or pork contain natural sodium, but the content is still much less than the hidden extra sodium added during processing in products like bacon or ham. If a food item keeps well in the fridge for days or weeks, that's a tip off that the sodium content is too high.
    2. Choose fresh fruit and vegetables, as well, since they are very low in sodium. Canned and frozen fruits are also low in sodium.
    3. When buying frozen vegetables, choose those that are labeled "fresh frozen" and do not contain added seasoning or sauces.
    4. Begin reading food labels as a matter of course. Sodium content is always listed on the label. Sometimes the high sugar content in a product like apple pie can mask the high sodium content so it's important to check every label for sodium content.
    5. Compare various brands of the same food item until you find the one that has the lowest sodium content, since this will vary from brand to brand.
    6. Select spices or seasonings that do not list sodium on their labels, i.e. choose garlic powder over garlic salt.
    7. Before dining out, do your research. Visit the restaurant's website which should list the sodium content of various dishes served there. Alternatively, when you're at the restaurant and ready to order, you can request that the dish be served without salt.
    8. Beware of products that don't taste especially salty but still have high sodium content, such as cottage cheese.
    9. If you have elevated blood pressure, dietary sodium restriction can not only lower your blood pressure, but can enhance your response to blood pressure medications.
    10. Salt preference is an acquired taste that can be unlearned. It takes about 6-8 weeks to get used to eating food with much lower quantities of salt, but once it's done, it's actually difficult to eat foods like potato chips because they taste way too salty.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Lots of good info here: http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/breaking-up-with-excess-sodium/

For me, the war with sodium was long and hard fought, winning some battles, losing some. Lots of ups and downs. Everything finally workout out when I did two things:

1. Admitted to myself that I just couldn't do it while eating lots of processed foods
    2. Began learning to make things that tasted good without the salt.

Changing your palate takes a little time. You don't go from a diet of high-salt foods to low or no-salt without a little adjusting and that takes time, for sure. It's very helpful to utilize herbs and spices and combine foods in tasty ways.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You gotta really look at your labels. Most processed food it just sodium and sugar in disguise.
  • jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thanks you everyone for your input. I guess I'm just anal about not going too much over on salt. That's where I seem to have the most issues. I worry about my future health for when I am older, it runs in the family. But I will def cut back on the canned stuff and sauces. I noticed that when I eat a certain "bad" food, that particular dish has a crap load of sodium and ends up being the culprit to me going way over my 2300. Thanks again you guys!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks you everyone for your input. I guess I'm just anal about not going too much over on salt. That's where I seem to have the most issues. I worry about my future health for when I am older, it runs in the family. But I will def cut back on the canned stuff and sauces. I noticed that when I eat a certain "bad" food, that particular dish has a crap load of sodium and ends up being the culprit to me going way over my 2300. Thanks again you guys!!!

The more active you are, the more sodium you would need. I tend not to stress sodium too much since I work out an hour a day. But getting most of your nutrient from whole sources can help reduce the amount of sodium. Also, foods high in potassium and magnesium can help offset some of the effects of sodium since it would balance your electrolytes.

More personal curiosity? Are your family members hypertensive? If so, are they also overweight?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I know this seems obvious, but look at your diary and see where it's coming from and maybe substitute lower sodium options for some of the higher sodium choices. One enormous source for people who tend to eat too much sodium is more processed foods. For example, canned soup tends to have lots (although there are exceptions), whereas you can make soup without much sodium at all. Same with purchased sauces or salad dressings vs. the homemade alternatives, and of course many restaurant meals/take out.
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The more active you are, the more sodium you would need. I tend not to stress sodium too much since I work out an hour a day. But getting most of your nutrient from whole sources can help reduce the amount of sodium. Also, foods high in potassium and magnesium can help offset some of the effects of sodium since it would balance your electrolytes.

More personal curiosity? Are your family members hypertensive? If so, are they also overweight?

Wow. Thanks I didn't know that. I workout an hour a day so that makes me feel A LOT better! On the diary it never changes once I log in my workout, you know. Yes they are diabetic and overweight.
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I know this seems obvious, but look at your diary and see where it's coming from and maybe substitute lower sodium options for some of the higher sodium choices. One enormous source for people who tend to eat too much sodium is more processed foods. For example, canned soup tends to have lots (although there are exceptions), whereas you can make soup without much sodium at all. Same with purchased sauces or salad dressings vs. the homemade alternatives, and of course many restaurant meals/take out.

Yes. I try to stay away from processed as much as I can. Thank you I am gonna cut all canned beans, dressings and sauces for sure.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Wow. Thanks I didn't know that. I workout an hour a day so that makes me feel A LOT better! On the diary it never changes once I log in my workout, you know. Yes they are diabetic and overweight.

Being overweight and genetics will contribute to more issues than sodium would. And dont get me wrong, one should still concentrate on getting a variety of whole foods, but i wouldnt put much emphasis on sodium, especially since you exercise an hour a day.
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    Awesome thanks! Makes me feel a lot better I wont sweat it so much!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Yes. I try to stay away from processed as much as I can. Thank you I am gonna cut all canned beans, dressings and sauces for sure.

I have been cooking my own beans lately with just water, no added salt. I will cook up an entire bag of them in my crock pot and freeze them in 2 cup portions, which is about what a can would be. Easy peasy and eliminates a lot of sodium.

I have also eliminated many seasonings and used the individual herbs and spices instead (for example, taco seasoning is chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and oregano; plus flour, arrowroot, or cornstarch to thicken the juices). Can't do much about soy except to buy reduced sodium.

• jendiaz9732
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I have been cooking my own beans lately with just water, no added salt. I will cook up an entire bag of them in my crock pot and freeze them in 2 cup portions, which is about what a can would be. Easy peasy and eliminates a lot of sodium.

I have also eliminated many seasonings and used the individual herbs and spices instead (for example, taco seasoning is chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and oregano; plus flour, arrowroot, or cornstarch to thicken the juices). Can't do much about soy except to buy reduced sodium.

OH yeah that's great idea. I need to get in the habit of boiling my own beans. Or invest in a crockpot for sure. I will try this! Thanks for your help! And boy do I love that soy sauce!!!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

OH yeah that's great idea. I need to get in the habit of boiling my own beans. Or invest in a crockpot for sure. I will try this! Thanks for your help! And boy do I love that soy sauce!!!!

I love my crock pot and use it for probably 90% of my dinners. It helps that I love things like stews and casseroles which are perfect for it . . . which reminds me, it is chili weather!!!!!!!!!!!

• jendiaz9732
    Options
    Ooooh yaaaah I love chili!!! I want to make a turkey chili soon so I am going to spoil myself with a crock pot. I know I've seen pinterest has a whole bunch of recipes.