Food scale MFP help!

Hi all,

I've always searched items in MFP to track my calories, but I just started using a food scale and the numbers on MFP and the scale don't match. I'm not sure how to put items in correctly (following the scale). Does anyone know a simple way to do this that isn't very time consuming?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm a bit confused.

Put your plate on the scale. Turn the scale on. It will show 0. Add your food. Look at the number (use grams).

Check the database. If it's a simple thing like an apple, look up 'apple usda' and use one of the entries in grams. Adjust as needed (there's a pull down menu to switch to 1g).

If you're using a packaged item that says that a serving is 1/2 cup (30g) but the MFP database only has 1/2 cup, you can still use it, or make your own. If you have 28g on the scale, just do 28/30 and put 0.93 as the number of servings.
  • stephdmash
    stephdmash Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks for the response. Using the scale is really easy. I'm just finding that the data on the scale varies from the data on MFP and I don't want to have to manually input everything. Was hoping there was an easier way to do this, but it doesn't sound like it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I still don't understand what you mean.

If the package says that your item is 39g but it's really 35g, the nutrition data doesn't change, you just only enter 0.89 of a serving.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    This makes ZERO sense.

Unless. Do you mean you're weighing something and it's coming out at say, 213g.

Are you then finding it difficult to enter 215g in to your diary?

If so, when you add the item to your diary you are able to enter the data using the text entry box and the drop down menu, so you would enter 215 servings of 1g, or 2.15 servings of 100g.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Are you talking about nutritional data on boxes versus data in the database? Because that's just a matter of hunting around on the database for the correct entry. And like this says:
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Check the database. If it's a simple thing like an apple, look up 'apple usda' and use one of the entries in grams. Adjust as needed (there's a pull down menu to switch to 1g).

If you're using a packaged item that says that a serving is 1/2 cup (30g) but the MFP database only has 1/2 cup, you can still use it, or make your own. If you have 28g on the scale, just do 28/30 and put 0.93 as the number of servings.

This is perfectly stated. It can take a while to get used to (especially entering weird decimal servings, lol) but it'll become second nature after a while.