need help balancing proteins, carbs, sugars, etc

Options
Skweezd
Skweezd Posts: 18 Member
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this site and am loving it so far but still am having trouble losing weight. I absolutely know I do not eat right. I can stay under my calorie count but it's not the right foods so I'm not losing a thing. I run daily so I know I'm giving my body plenty of cardio. Here's my concern... Is there something I can read or a plan I can follow to balance my proteins, carbs, sugars, etc?
I am 5'8", 170lbs, low thyroid is a medical concern but I take Synthroid, exercise induced asthma also medical but I have inhalers, I take a handful of vitamins daily including iron, run between 2 to 6 miles a day. I need to lose 20lbs by October for the Marine Corps Marathon so I can breathe better when I run. Please, please any nutritional advice including any reading recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Best,
Kim aka "Skweezd" is my user name

Replies

• tmontgomery69
    Options
    I manually changed my carb/protein/fat percentages to 40/40/20. And I've been consistanly losing since I started a little over 2 months ago. You can even do 40/30/30 if you'd like.
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you are good at counting and watching your calorie count that is a good start. As far as foods, everyone probably had their own ideas but I can share what is working for me. I try to keep my carbs down to 100 as much as I can. I am not always that low but way lower than before I started watching them. I also try to have more protein than carbs. This is really hard to do. A really good rule of thumb is for your snacks is that you want the protein to be at least half of the carbs or more. Then with your meal if you have some chicken, or pork, or ground beef, they all have no carbs (mostly) and lots of protein. For snacks, hard boiled eggs and cheese sticks are a good start.

Good luck!
  • sittingduck180
    Options
    I manually changed my carb/protein/fat percentages to 40/40/20. And I've been consistanly losing since I started a little over 2 months ago. You can even do 40/30/30 if you'd like.

Hey - how did you manually change yours? Was it in MFP? I cant seem to find a way to do that....

NEVERMIND! Found it under "settings"...
  • tmontgomery69
    Options

Hey - how did you manually change yours? Was it in MFP? I cant seem to find a way to do that....

NEVERMIND! Found it under "settings"...

Click on "goals" on your home page, then click on the green "change goals button" at the bottom of the page, select "custom" , & then the continue button, change the percentages to whatever you want & to finalize everything click on the "green change goals button". And you're done! :smile:
  • Skweezd
    Skweezd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advice. I have changed my percentages to 40/40/20.
    Kim