question about strength exercises

Options
I added some strength exercises in today for the first time, but it doesn't seem to count as burning any calories. Is that right? Does anyone know how I can calculate how many calories I burned doing biceps curls and shoulder press?

Thanks!

Replies

• ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Under cardio, search strength training. It should come up and ask for calories burned and minutes performed just like a cardio exercise
  • sarapulsifer
    Options
    Log it under "strength training" in the cardio section :) I had the same problem when I first started using this site :)
  • aycrews
    aycrews Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks all =)
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I typed in strength trainging in the cardiovascular search. Then I just entered how many minutes I was using the weights. Mine showed burning 95 cal in 30 min. I am 35, 5'4", 113 lbs. Hope this gives you an idea. :)
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Get a Heart rate monitor of you want an accurate burn.

For me my strength training usually takes 30minutes and I burn between 105-130 calories depending on intensity, and which muscles Im doing.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Put them in as Calisthenics, home, light/moderate effort?
  • clenieralley
    clenieralley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think that it is because strength training burns very few calories since you usually don't get your heart rate up. If you reach your target aerobic heart rate while doing this then you should count it as an aerobic workout. The general claim is that if you put on muscle from strength training, you will have a higher base metabolic rate, and will burn more calories while watching pizza hut commercials on TV.:smile:
    While this is true, the amount of strength training necessary to actually put on 1 lb of muscle is more than most people do with occasional strength training. Most of us change our shape, firm up muscle but don't actually increase our muscle mass by a significant amount with weekly strength training. I think it is very hard to put on muscle while dieting.