Importance of rest

Options
Hello all. I'm new to the message board but I have been tracking my food for sometime. I have been exercising almost everyday and only missed 2 days in 3 weeks.

I feel guilty but at the same time I know I need rest. I really wanted to get on the treadmill and the bike machine...but I can't. I just could not even think about doing push-ups today. I have been sore since last week.

So after work, I went to the movies and drank a diet coke instead of the gym. I feel better already. Sometimes a little rest is OK. Tomorrow, I'm back to the gym.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    YOu need to push through the soreness it will kind of disappear during and you will fell better after a workout.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important as they help muscles recover. That said, I had my first day off yesterday for 3 weeks
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Rest days give your body time to repair your muscles. They are perfectly fine once in a while.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    The ONLY time muscles grow is during rest. You're cheating yourself if you don't give your muscles about 48 hours rest for a given muscle group. Cardio can be done more often, provided it's truly low impact cardio and not HIIT training.
  • fulkrum78
    fulkrum78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find I get burnt out fairly quickly without rest days. What I do now is work out for 3 days, then take one off. I never get to a point where I get tired of running, and I get a break fairly often (though I am still running 6/7 days).

That said, my rest days are active rest days (usually taking my dog for an extended walk).
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    Rest is vital as others have said. That is the time the muscles repair and grow.

It is a good idea to also split your workouts as well so you give your muscles a break even when you are not resting.

Cardio is a good way to combat muscle soreness as it gets the blood flowing around the muscle groups. But as already mentioned make sure you also include low cardio workouts, not just high impact forms.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important as your muscles need to repair themselves. i take 1 or 2 days off a week so don't feel guilty but watch what you eat
  • MDinglasa
    MDinglasa Posts: 7
    Options
    The ONLY time muscles grow is during rest. You're cheating yourself if you don't give your muscles about 48 hours rest for a given muscle group. Cardio can be done more often, provided it's truly low impact cardio and not HIIT training.

Yeah, good point. I have been doing 30 minute boxing drills and 45min vigorous cardio everday. The endorphine high can be addictive. I noticed the last couple of days I could not get endorphine high anymore - just sore allover.

My boxing coach recommends only 2-60 min drills/week and 30-60min low/moderate intensity cardio on alternate days. So this will be my new routine.