Consume almost 4 times the carbs than protein to lose weight

Options
I set up my account about a week and half ago, and I love it, it is the best app. ever. Anyways, I only have one problem to lose weight it is saying that I need to consume more carbs than protein. The exact numbers for carbs: 223g per day and only 61g of protein. I would think it should be the other way. Is it possible that I will lose the weight if I stick to these numbers?

Replies

• Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Protein is set low. Most people I've noticed consume twice as much as given.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Personally I think MFP starts the carb percentage too high. I prefer 40/40/20 (carb/protein/fat). Others will suggest an even lower carb ratio and higher protein/fat. Ultimately it's what works for your body, how much exercising you're doing, how your body responds to carbs, etc. One diet plan does not fit all people. Try it for a couple of weeks, if it doesn't work, adjust it.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Nah, the default settings are no good. Use the manual settings and put your protein at about 1gram per pound of body weight, especially if you are exercising along with your dieting. It's good that you even questioned it though to be honest, a lot of people just accept the default numbers and they are far from ideal.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I went in and manually tweaked my numbers....raised the fiber and protein, and lowered the carbs, fat, and sodium.:wink:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    MFP is based on a generic split between carbs, protein and fat that falls within the range recommended by most medical professionals. 55% carbs, 15% protein and 30% fat. You can adjust your goals by going to your home page, "Goals", "change goals", "custom".
  • Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    I am usually in the area of 40%, 40%, 20% carbs, protein, fat. give or take
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is all about calories in versus calories out. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight - period. However, I prefer to keep my protein at 150-180 g per day and fill in the rest with carbs and fat. Keep it simple.

There is no low carb or low fat magic.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Personally I think MFP starts the carb percentage too high. I prefer 40/40/20 (carb/protein/fat). Others will suggest an even lower carb ratio and higher protein/fat. Ultimately it's what works for your body, how much exercising you're doing, how your body responds to carbs, etc. One diet plan does not fit all people. Try it for a couple of weeks, if it doesn't work, adjust it.

^ This!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have found the carb /protein ratio that MFP sets to be a little off for myself. You can customize your settings if you wish. Personally I do better with a higher protein, lower carb diet. Some people do fine with the default settings. It really just depends on you. Good luck!!
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am usually in the area of 40%, 40%, 20% carbs, protein, fat. give or take

^^^This.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Go here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals and set custom goals to 40/40/20 and see how that works :smile:
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I shoot for higher protein. I am weight lifting so i need the protein. Tweak it to what you prefer!
  • bethany675
    bethany675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to at have higher protein than carbs. At worst I match my carbs and protein. On the settings page you can adjust the numbers the MFP give you....try that if you don't like looking at the numbers given.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I'm only concerned with the overall net calories myself.. that and trying to keep my sodium down (because I love/crave/have been addicted to salty stuff)..
  • amyers35
    amyers35 Posts: 51
    Options
    how would i know what number to use to make 40/40/20? 40% 40% and 20% of what number?
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    40/40/20. How do u calculate this for a 1200 calorie diet? And especially if I burn about 350 calories day working out?
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    how would i know what number to use to make 40/40/20? 40% 40% and 20% of what number?

If you customize your goals, it allows you put in the percentages you want.... so, if you enter 40% for your carbs, MFP will auto-calculate the number of grams of carbs you should eat. Hope that helps.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • amyers35
    amyers35 Posts: 51
    Options
    40/40/20. How do u calculate this for a 1200 calorie diet? And especially if I burn about 350 calories day working out?

thanks! youre awesome :)
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I set my ratios to 35% protein, 35% carbs, and 30% fat. I am usually a bit low on protein and higher on carbs, so I need to watch that more closely. I'd like to be able to automatically subtract fiber from total carbs since I am interested only in net carbs. I just do the math myself.