getting addicted to...

Options
Only started this diary 5 days ago and started the diet and exercise properly today and I'm feeling determined and motivated and enjoying preparing my meals and sticking by them.
How long has everyone else been at it and does anyone struggle to document foods and exercise?
Plus add me if you like as I am new and the more people I have as friends to see what I'm eating the more encouragement I have to eat healthy thank you x

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Welcome :]

I've been tracking on MFP for 55 days and it's been really, really easy. I pre-log my days during the week and have gotten into the habit of tracking absolutely every thing. Once you're in the habit, it really does become second nature. You can do it! :)
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for 2 years. My longest posting streak was almost 300 days. I've had lots of struggles in my 110 lb weight loss journey, but I press on! Feel free to add me!
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for 331 days now and have lost 25 pounds. I've had my ups and downs and plateaus, but I continue to log even if I'm over my calories. I started out tracking absolutely everything but now that MFP is a habit I no longer log water, mints and some condiments. It does get easier with time and getting into a habit of logging. Since I'm older it's taken me longer to lose the weight, plus I didn't want to go from overeating to a strict 1200 calories right away. Feel free to add me!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in over two years, but I've been at this good livin' thing for over three years now.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've been on here faithfully for about 18 months. I originally lost about 40 lbs. Then I got an injury and gained back 17, but I'm back on track again.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Been here two years but don't log anymore. I feel that I have been retrained on how to eat and manage portions. I did have a ten pound increase due to some heavy eating and drinking. Combine that with lots of rain that limited my running. No worries, I am getting back to normal again.
  • slloydy86
    slloydy86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments great messages to motivate me to keep at it. And to those who don't log anymore that's a great achievement to. It shows you can learn alot whilst logging your food too.

Well done everyone keep it up we can all do this xx
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for almost six months now and have lost 40 lbs. However I took a 10 week break from MFP just trying to eat sensible after my first two months. I was trying to find out if the principals of my diet held true without micro managing. I did not lose any more weight but I did not gain any either. I was starting to cheat here and there, not really "noticing it". I then got back on and started losing weight again.

I think any sort of food diary is helpful. MFP seems to be the most robust for on the go logging. Since I tend to run and gun my diary far to often, MFP has been a real help.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I did log religiously and highly recommend doing it. I have fallen from doing it due to my schedule, I do typically record throughout the day but fail to get my dinner and last snack recorded. At least this way I know that I am on track for the day.
    Also (not sure if mentioned already), get a digital scale, measure and record everything that you eat. Another thing to look at is adjusting your macros. I have mine at a 35/40/25 (carbs/protein/fat), this is what works great for me but we all are different so play around with it until you find what works for you. Having a high protein and fiber diet keeps me from being hungry throughout the day as does a high water volume.
    Oh yeah, drink lots of water.
    You can most certainly feel free to add me, I’ll motivate and encourage you but be ready for a lot of high jinx if you do. Because I do believe that laughter is the best medicine and the Doctor is always in!
    ;-)
  • H34v3nlySinsx3
    H34v3nlySinsx3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't stay focused to save my life. It's not always in the front of my mind to simply keep track of what I eat and how much. I'm starting to feel as if I should be carrying measuring ups with me everywhere I go..
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I can't stay focused to save my life. It's not always in the front of my mind to simply keep track of what I eat and how much. I'm starting to feel as if I should be carrying measuring ups with me everywhere I go..

You don't have to do this 100% - do it 90% and you will be great. You don't have to measure & weigh your food forever. If you have lousy eating habits its a good idea so you can see what & how much you should be eating. Bring food with you - lunch to work / school. Eastcoast Jim
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Weighing and logging are important when you first start, but you can't actually weigh everything. I personally wouldn't want to carry a food scale into a restaurant. XD But the reason we suggest getting the food scale and weighing as much as you can when you first start out is not just to see how much you're eating. You're also retraining your brain and body to accept what an actual portion of something is. It can take a while, but as you slowly learn to eyeball and guesstimate correctly, you won't have to weigh as many things to get close to what the calories are. After three years, I've gotten to the point where I can guesstimate what I'm eating and I do pretty good. I pull out the scale for new things, to randomly check myself, and to portion up candy and chips so I don't finish the whole bag without realizing it, but for normal eating, I don't need a scale anymore. This is what you're really needing to aim for. By relearning what proper food portions are, you can apply that knowledge to anything you eat to not only continue to lose weight, but once you hit your goal, to STAY in your goal range. Give yourself time to learn new tools and new methods of determining how much food you should eat, and you'll be in a better position to stay where you need to be for the rest of your life.

ETA: If you don't have the phone app already, get it if you have a smart phone. If you like to eat a lot of the same things and are able to get the same amount each time, you'll be able to find them easier with the phone app for logging. I have a set of meals for lunches that I like to eat and it's one checkbox to log it now. Build your recipe and meal tabs up. Between that and your frequent foods, logging becomes quicker the more you use it.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I started about 18 months ago, I was so careful to log everything, weigh what I can etc. I meal prepped and spent alot of time in the kitchen, and it was worth it as I lost some weight. Recently I've slacked off on the counting and logging as I've been emotional and eating what I shouldn't be eating, and back to logging again. I've learned that personally I have to give myself a "treat" once and a while, and love how someone mentioned the 90/10 rule. You'll get to know what works for you through trial and error, something that works for someone else may not work for your body, don't get discouraged and good luck!
  • slloydy86
    slloydy86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great encouragement guys thank you. It has certainly become addictive for me. But don't worry we all have bad days and don't be scared to log it in. You learn from it. My log told me today I was +1g of sugar intake than I should have had and I was gutted I know it's only 1g but ut shows looking at the stats u realise damn if only I dint have that 1 biscuit and I would have been under target lol. It's taken me a long time to get to this but I'm starting to feel like I'm ready for the change that are goin to happen and his time I'm going to give myself time and not rush it and expect something to happen over night. Iv decided I'm starting with the 5 days eating good and exercise and the weekend I'm not going to be as strict but I'm certainly not goin to overindulge . Keep up the good work guys and happy eating. Remember what ever you eat you need to enjoy don't look at the food and think eww how bland it's all in the mind xx
  • pakanoir
    pakanoir Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am only 3 days old here and I have noticed that because I know people are seeing what I log in during the day (my food and exercise), I am tempted to cheat. I would like to show that I am doing more but I would just be lying to myself. I am already learning to discipline myself and I have met amazing people on here already who are helping me keep on track. The support, love and motivation here are really encouraging. I love this community so far, and I'm sure that as soon as you make friends, you'll stay on track until you achieve that goal.
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have been with MFP for about 3 years and it has helped me tremendously..I mean if you have specific goal,such tool is simply essential! I did logging on and off in the beginning,just to get used to it..but then I did first real diet in 2012 and helped me to almost reach sub 10% and get in the best shape of my life..then for a little while I was taking it easier,but this summer I did a major diet and reached a competition level body fat %..