Under 300 calorie ideas that don't need a fridge

Options
Hi.. I try to eat smaller meals for breakfast and lunch to save calories for my evenings. Though the timing thing isn't a factor (ie., its working out on the scale still) it is hard for me to find lower cal FILLING meals for my breakfast and lunch meals. I work offsite often and don't always have access to a fridge or microwave.

Would love some of your ideas.

Replies

• jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    bump... I need some ideas too....
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. Leave them shelled until you're gonna eat 'em and they do not have to be refrigerated. Tuna packets (not can, but pouches rather) are filling and are typically about 70 cals each (I eat two of them with lettuce, tomato, pickle, salt, and pepper).
  • mjm_79
    mjm_79 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try Fiber bars or any kind of bar you like to eat. The fiber bars I eat are around 140 calories
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Other then the obvious "bring a lunch box/cooler & ice packs"... LOL Just kidding.

Cereal bars
    Rice Cakes
    100 Calorie packs (There are SOOO many of these out there)
    Lance Whole Wheat Crackers
    Brothers Fruit Crisps
    Luna Bars (Great for Women)

Hope that helps... I will post more if I think of them.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. Leave them shelled until you're gonna eat 'em and they do not have to be refridgerated. Tuna packets (not can, but pouches rather) are filling and are typically baout 70 cals each (I eat two of them with lettuce, tomato, pickle, salt, and pepper).

I have boiled egg sandwiches, I use weight watchers bread which is only 51 Kcals a slice. They are a bit stinky but I work with men and they don't seem to mind lol!
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Can you carry a cooler in your car? If not, a small insulated lunch bag? If not,

* Nuts with fruit
    * Dried high fiber cereal with fresh fruit
    * Drive thru side salads [if you trust fast food!]
    * Celery with almond/peanut butter
    * High fiber bars [Fiber One, etc.]
    * Protein powder that you can mix into a bottle of water/milk [can pick up the fluid on the road]

Hope this helps. I'll be looking back to see what others say, too! :flowerforyou:
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I buy the sunkist tuna-salad sandwich ready in the package and have sandwich thins available all the time. This is only a 200 calorie meal but can be done quickly with not much effort. Love to always have some on hand so when I need or want something. :)
  • AJAdkins
    AJAdkins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm huge on protein bars!! I found this one I really like called Supreme Protein.. they are freaking yum!
    They have big bars and half sized bars. I love them because they taste like candy bars and it makes it so I'm not finding myself in front of the vending machine.. which I can see from my desk. lol..
    Lets see.. you could get those lean cuisines that are pasta.. I tried them once, but I don't remember the calories though. they didn't need to be refrigerated. You just add water and pop them in the micro wave. lol.
  • luvcookie
    luvcookie Posts: 97
    Options
    Fiber bars are awesome,you can also get some Granola bars that are like 100 calories,great to be part of your breakfast or even a snack in between !
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    You guys rock!
  • epikes1
    epikes1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I often work outside/offsite. I always have my cooler with me, sometimes on those really hot summer days, it doesn't last. My go to is a peanut butter and jelly, with fruit to go with it. I have also mixed whole wheat pasta, tuna, veggies (like peas), and diced tomatoes (if I can get away with it I will use a cream of soup like cream of mushroom or celery instead of the tomatoes). Salad works to as long as you use a dressing like vinaigrette that doesn't have to be refrigerated.

If I think of any other ones I will let you know! I hope this helps some! I'm interested in others ideas too.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Food doesn't go bad as quickly as people think! There's a lot of stuff you could take out with you, if you store things in good airtight containers you will be fine, and if you keep it in a bag or somewhere shaded and don't leave it exposed in the heat then it will keep throughout the day without making you ill.

Obviously there are some foods which are more prone to giving you tummy upsets ie; shellfish, raw egg, rice etc if not stored correctly so I would avoid those types of foods.

You could make yourself salads up still, unless you like them cold then they will be fine, and if you don't think you can keep meat or fish in them then you could do bean salads, roast vegetable salads, noodle salads, pasta salads, greek style salads with feta and olives, pretty much anything! If you like dressings then find some small container you could take some in, you can use a jar like those ones you get mini jams in or something. Sandwiches like someone else mentioned.

You could make some homemade meal bars rather than buying shop bought ones and put the kind of things you like in them, crudites are good, you could have them with a small pot of hummus or something. A lot of stuff you see at the supermarket is not refrigerated and if it isn't there then it will be fine for you to carry with you and eat so that might help give you ideas when you are out shopping.

I think you should buy a cool box if you can take one with you, you can get some really good lunch box sized ones now. :)
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    power bars, piece of fruit (I love pears and bananas), a biscuit, toast with peanut butter
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Natural or low sugar peanut butter. I put a table spoon on something called a Wasa Crips. It's like a really hard cracker or flat bread. The wasa crips are only 45 cal per cracker (2 and half inches by 5 inches) I use the multigrain. No fat, Cholesterol, sugar. I buy the little food service containers with lids and portion the peanut butter out ahead of time. I also drink low sodium V-8 juice. THe laughing Cow baby Bell light swiss wedges. They are in wax. I grab them and keep them in my purse if I know I am going to be gone for a long period of time. They keep well. But I do keep them refrigerated. I hope this helps.