I'm seeing some change but my scale isn't?

Options
Ello everyone ^-^
So, I've recently cut sugar out of my diet (not including fruits) because I have a serious sugar addiction, and considering all of the negative effects it has on my body, it's just best for me to stay away from sugar.

Along with cutting out sugar, I've also been aiming for around a gallon of water a day, eating veggies and protein, and making more of an effort to sneak a little extra cardio in.

It's only been a little over a week (excluding a cheat day, of course) but I feel so much better, and honestly I feel that I look a little thinner. Especially in my face and belly. Unfortunately, my scale doesn't agree with me. I weigh the same. I figured I would have at least lost a little bit of water weight by now.

So I guess I'm asking, are the changes just in my head? And why don't I seem to be losing any weight?

Replies

• Brandon_Kuon
    Brandon_Kuon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It could just be a result in gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and is generally more compact, so that may be the result. If you feel better, you generally should be on the right trail (for the most part). Number changes occurs more over on the long run as opposed to immediately.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Give it more time.

Hormones around TOM will cause a slight gain on the scale for most women. It's water retention that comes off on it's own, but yes it shows as a gain in weight on the scale. This is one of the reasons it is recommended to look at the trend over a 4 week period.
    New exercise plan or increased intensity in workout will show on the scale. Either it will look as though nothing is changing or you will see a slight gain. This is the body storing water for muscle repairs. Again it comes off on it's own. Another reason to look at the overall trend and not individual weigh-in's.
    Eat more sodium than normal. Expect to see a slight gain on the scale. It's water retention that sticks around long enough for your body to flush out the excess sodium.
    Constipated. Yes, that will show on the scale too.

It could just be a result in gaining muscle.

I highly doubt she put on any muscle mass in a weeks time with "a little extra cardio". More likely is that she is losing fat, but experiencing water retention which is temporarily masking the fat loss.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Same thing with me. My clothes are loose, I look better over all, not puffy, but the scale is barely moving. Meanwhile, my husband lost 10 lbs! Ugh!!! When I exercise, I definitely hold the water. Then a day or so later after I have a rest day, the water weight is gone and I "feel" thinner. Not that the scale shows it but oh well, it's how I feel that counts, right?
    AND, I gain muscle fast, so I do believe it can be muscle weight.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No one really looks thinner in a week, and it is impossible for the scale to move noticeably in a week, unless you have really a lot to lose to begin with.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    No one really looks thinner in a week, and it is impossible for the scale to move noticeably in a week, unless you have really a lot to lose to begin with.

Yes this
    It could just be a result in gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and is generally more compact, so that may be the result.

But no, not this.

• rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Also, it could be that your single cheat day is closing the gap in your deficit. If you're eating at a reasonable deficit for 6 days, but then overeat by a few thousand calories on one day, then you've undone the week's work. Cheat days/meals (whatever that means to you) should still be weighed/logged accurately in order to rule out eating at a surplus/maintenance.

But none of that matters, because it's only been a week.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45 lbs so far. If you are tracking food and exercise to remain on a calorie goal - hold course. Week to week there are too many variables to worry about the scale. I'm in a new group class with a trainer and we're not getting on the scale until after two weeks.
  • iGrrli
    iGrrli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with shadow2soul. The scale can be a little deceptive. Taking before and after photos may also help you monitor real progress.
    HTH :)