Afternoon Snacks

Options
I need some new afternoon snack ideas! I usually have in rotation: laughing cow/crackers, nuts, apples, string cheese, grapes, turkey slices... but I'm looking for something new! I don't like to eat the same thing all the time and I enjoy variety. I get pretty hungry between lunch and dinner.

Thanks!

Replies

• KatheryneH13
    KatheryneH13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I boil some eggs in the beginning of the week and eat those as snacks throughout the week. It really fills you up until your next meal.
    If its hot out, I freeze different fruits and eat them as snacks during the afternoon. Right now I have bananas, peaches and grapes in the freezer! Its refreshing when its SOOOO HOT outside.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I love greek yogurt. And I also like hummus on red pepper strips.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm a big yogurt fan for snacks. My 2 faves are the Kroger brand CarbMaster yogurts and 0% Plain Fage Greek Yogurt topped with fruit, nuts, or a small spoonful of low-sugar jam. I even like it plain, but a lot of people can't get past the tartness of plain yogurt.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    yogurt
    fruit smoothie
    graham crackers
    cereal
    apple w/ peanut butter
    oatmeal
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a rice cake with no salt added peanut butter sometimes when I get bored with my normal rotation of snacks or another is a portion of unsweetened applesauce.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like Hummus with veggies.

6370025.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    I throw a Powerbar (Oatmeal Raisin rocks) or a Clif bar (white chocolate/Macadamia....Mmmm tasty) in the mix.
    By the afternoon, I need some protien to hold me over until I get to eat dinner.

If I remember to pack them, I have a serving of peanuts or raw almonds...
  • shannie1228
    shannie1228 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    These ideas for healthy snacks minimize fat and calories and maximize whole grains, fruits and vegetables. They're all around 200 calories.

Toast one-half of a whole-wheat English muffin. Top with one slice Canadian bacon, a tomato slice and one slice low-fat American cheese. Microwave until the cheese melts.

Spread 1 tablespoon part-skim ricotta cheese over one-half of a small cinnamon-raisin bagel. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired and top with a thinly sliced apple.

Top a small baked potato with 2 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning.

Layer a 6-inch soft corn or flour tortilla with 2 tablespoons shredded low-fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese. Microwave until the cheese melts. Slice into bite-sized pie shapes. Dip into some salsa if desired.

Mix 1/4 cup cold leftover chicken or convenience-type chunk chicken with sliced seedless grapes, 1/2 tablespoon sunflower seeds, 1 tablespoon plain low-fat yogurt or fat-free mayonnaise, and a dash of curry powder. Stuff into half of a whole-wheat pita pocket.

Heed your hunger pangs, but forget the guilt. With planning and a little preparation, you can have healthy foods on hand so that you're ready when temptation strikes.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Planter's South Beach diet nut mix - I love it!
    1 tbsp of creamy peanut butter w/ fiber one cereal - get in some good quality fiber!
    My new fav is the Luna bar White Chococlate Macadamia.

I tend to stay away from fruits and sweet things b/c it makes me more hungry. :happy:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    try the Laughing Cow cheese in celery stalks. Quite yummy and not as many calories and carbs as the crackers.
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% Total Greek yogurt and a tablespoonful of peanut butter - this is my new snack discovery and I can't get enough! It's super quick and easy, and perfect for a snack at your desk (as long as you have access to a fridge!).
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i was craving chocolate big time yesterday afternoon so i had a chocolate pudding and that didnt stop the craving, so i had a slim fast snack bar, it is basically a tiny chocolate bar. came to about 240 calories altogether but was so worth it. lol I buy those prepackages 100 calorie cookies, chocolate covered pretzels and snacks so i can count what i am eating and not go over. I will have yogurt, fruit, blend some vanilla milk, ice and instant coffee with some cocoa, that is my iced coffee it is so good. Or i will stick strawberries in it, and have a strawberry shake. usually they add up to 50 calories to 150.
  • kasiunia1981
    Options
    I enjoy having a fruit of some sort
    or
    - crackers and cheese
    - frozen fruit
    - roasted red pepper hummu with baby carrots
    - peanut butter and plain greek yogurt
  • tiger7171
    tiger7171 Posts: 17
    Options
    i eat fruit. watermelon,grapes,honeydew melons and cantelope melons. peaches should be getting ready to produce any day now.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    i'm a huge snacker/condiment lover...and i love Otria's Greek Yogurt Veggie Dip...so far i've only tried the cucumber dill feta flavor, but they have others..I eat this with about half a cup of carrots and i LOVE it. it isnt something I can eat really fast, where in 2 minutes I'm looking for something else, and it's delicious. the serving size for the dip is 2 tbsp (60 calories) but i usually only need 1 tbsp for 1/2 cup carrots.
  • kidd0509
    kidd0509 Posts: 1
    Options
    These are some great ideas that I can live with. I am definitely going to give them a try. Thanks for sharing. :smile:
  • lissababe
    lissababe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    cottaqe cheese (fiber one brand is really good) with tomato or just plain.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love edamame, hard boiled eggs, apple w/ PB, almonds, frozen fruit, sugar free jello or pudding
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    i eat fruit. watermelon,grapes,honeydew melons and cantelope melons. peaches should be getting ready to produce any day now.

The peaches were abundant at my farmers market today! I didn't get any, but now that I read this.. I think I will lol