Spaghetti squash

Options
kandmwilson2000
kandmwilson2000 Posts: 9 Member
I just tried spaghetti squash for the first time with a little low fat sauce. I'm hooked!!! What are some other recipes I can try?

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Baked with olive oil and garlic!
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash Tetrazzini
    1 squash (roughly 4 C)
    9 oz cooked and cubed turkey or chicken
    2 C mushrooms sliced
    3/4 C skimmed milk
    3/4 C turkey or chicken stock
    1 1/2 TBSP corn starch
    2 TBSP Sherry
    1/4 C + 2 TBSP grated parmesan cheese
    salt & pepper to taste

Bake the squash at 350 for 45-60 minutes until done. Scrape out strands and mix in large bowl with cubed turkey and mushrooms. In saucepan on stove, heat broth and 3/4 C of the milk until it begins to release steam. Mix the corn starch into the last 1/4 milk and slowly add to the broth/milk mixture. As the sauce begins to thicken, add 1/4 C Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Once sauced has thickened, removed from heat and add sherry. Stir in well and pour into spaghetti squash/mushroom/turkey mixture and stir to combine. Pour into 8" X 11" casserole dish, sprinkle 2 TBSP of parmesan over the top and bake at 375F for 30 minutes. Calories will vary a bit depending on your stock and cheese but the recipe makes 4 servings at around 233 =/- cals, 20.5g protein, 19.1g carbs, 7.8g fat. It is super good!!!! Enjoy!
  • AraHunt
    AraHunt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add in after scooping it out and baking it in oven (chop it in half, put olive oil salt-and-pepper to taste on it lay the Habs facedown on aluminum voile and bake for 20 minutes 425° in the oven)Chopped chicken, bacon and cheese of choice add lil olive oil and season with favorite seasonings (flavor Gods season all is what I use) mix all together and YUM!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Use it as pasta in any recipe you have. i.e.
    Shrimp scampi over spaghetti squash
    spaghetti squash with garlic and oil
    broiled fish over spaghetti squash
    spaghetti squash, zucchinni spaghetti, onion sauted
    spaghetti squash as a side to anything...
  • LaDivaNicotina
    LaDivaNicotina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love it with sauteed spinach, Garlic Expressions/pasta sauce or a wee bit of sundried tomato pesto, a little garlic havarti, sundried tomatoes, and if I have enough leftover in my calorie/fat budget, half a sundried tomato Tofurkey sausage. That's actually what's for dinner tonight :) Just realized that's a lot of sundried tomatoes, which is funny, cos I hate regular tomatoes.
  • brianneb304
    brianneb304 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have made spaghetti squash with a bolognese sauce recipe found on pintrest, it was delicious and more filling than any other spaghetti squash recipes I've had.
  • Charlotte27981
    Charlotte27981 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wish I could find spaghetti squash in the UK..
  • saladcrunchy
    saladcrunchy Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Butternut squash soup

The versatility of the humble butternut squash is amazing. The secret is not to overcook it. It is also a naturally high source of omega 3. A measuring cup of cooked squash is just under half the daily recommended allowance and only 36k calories. It is also delicious raw and can be cut into sticks and used similarly to raw carrot and celery for dips.

The following recipe is the most simple and nutritious way to get the most out of your squash
    Ingredients – Serves 4 or freeze.

• 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, cut into 2.5cm/1in cubes
    • 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
    • 1 stick of celery sliced
    • 1 white onion or 4 small shallots chopped
    • 1 vegetable [or chicken] stock cube
    • 1 tsp fresh ginger and a sprinkle of nutmeg
    • I tblspn cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 tsp of lime, juice
    • A twist of freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 tbsp. crème fraiche or yoghurt (optional)

1. Steam the vegetables for not more than 10 minutes
    2. Lightly soften the onion and ginger in a pan with olive oil and remove from heat
    3. Put steamed vegetables and onion and ginger into a blender
    4. Dissolve stock cube into about 500mls hot water (depends on how thick you want the soup)
    5. Blend lightly and reheat if necessary but not too much.
    6. Serve at once with optional crème fraiche or yoghurt
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Baked with olive oil and garlic!

This!
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Use it as pasta in any recipe you have. i.e.
    Shrimp scampi over spaghetti squash
    spaghetti squash with garlic and oil quote]

^^These are my favorite ways.

Hungry-Girl just posted her Top ATE SS recipes here: http://www.hungry-girl.com/go-to-guides/best-of-hg-spaghetti-squash-recipes?s=today
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bake it and shred it with a fork. Toss with some basil pesto and pan roasted almonds and fresh basil leaves.
  • Jamierae1002
    Jamierae1002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love pizza... So after cooking I add my favorite pizza toppings and pop it back in the oven for 10 minutes. Less carbs and all the flavor!
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We found a recipe on pinterest for spaghetti squash chow mein and holy hannah was it good!!! It's our new favorite!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Love spaghetti squash! I have roasted, microwaved and grilled. All wonderful! Most often I serve some sort of sauce on top. I have added cooked squash to soup and made hashbrowns with leftover squash. I plan on trying a new experiment this week. Sofrito and Beans. Here is a link to many of the recipes I have tried. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/search/label/Spaghetti%20Squash

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Question...you guys weigh your portion after it's roasted, right? I guess there is not really a way to weigh it raw considering you have to scrape it out. I actually don't know I've never tried spaghetti squash.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's amazing in a billion ways. One of my go-to recipes is http://paleogrubs.com/stuffed-spaghetti-squash-recipe
  • mommacitab
    mommacitab Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    zichab wrote: »
    Spaghetti Squash Tetrazzini
    1 squash (roughly 4 C)
    9 oz cooked and cubed turkey or chicken
    2 C mushrooms sliced
    3/4 C skimmed milk
    3/4 C turkey or chicken stock
    1 1/2 TBSP corn starch
    2 TBSP Sherry
    1/4 C + 2 TBSP grated parmesan cheese
    salt & pepper to taste

Bake the squash at 350 for 45-60 minutes until done. Scrape out strands and mix in large bowl with cubed turkey and mushrooms. In saucepan on stove, heat broth and 3/4 C of the milk until it begins to release steam. Mix the corn starch into the last 1/4 milk and slowly add to the broth/milk mixture. As the sauce begins to thicken, add 1/4 C Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Once sauced has thickened, removed from heat and add sherry. Stir in well and pour into spaghetti squash/mushroom/turkey mixture and stir to combine. Pour into 8" X 11" casserole dish, sprinkle 2 TBSP of parmesan over the top and bake at 375F for 30 minutes. Calories will vary a bit depending on your stock and cheese but the recipe makes 4 servings at around 233 =/- cals, 20.5g protein, 19.1g carbs, 7.8g fat. It is super good!!!! Enjoy!