Best cardio machine for at home workouts

Options
hello! I am currently researching exercise equipment. We are about to cut our gym memberships because we find ourselves working out more at home and outside than the gym. But I love a good cardio session on a machine. Do you have a machine at home? Any recommendations on what you love and what to avoid? Feedback is appreciated! :)

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Pair (or two or three or five) of runners?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Well, if I were you, I would just pick my favorite cardio machine and go with that.
    People can rave about rowing machines, but if you don't like that, why would you get it?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If I was buying one it would be a high end indoor bike trainer (Wattbike Pro or Cycleops Phantom for example).

But I'm not you - choose the one you will use as they can just turn into dust collectors.

If your idea of a "good cardio session" is fairly short duration then it's hard to beat a good quality rowing machine.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, rowing machine and intend on adding a bike. I also have a few pairs of running shoes for outdoors. I like them all for different reasons.

It's only going to be used if it's enjoyed. What did you enjoy doing at the gym? Try to bring that home.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Whichever machine you decide on buy the best you can comfortably afford, no one ever regrets buying quality.

Personally I have a treadmill (which gets used less and less as I run outside all year 'round and the kids are leaving the nest) and a rowing machine (C2) which I typically use 3 x weekly as cross training for my running. I also ride inside in the winter but I put my road bike on a trainer rather than having a dedicated stationary bike.

Go for the one you're going to enjoy and use, lots of people have very expensive towel racks in their basement after buying, with the best of intentions, a machine which they end up despising......
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar position a while back and opted for a bike - which is actually the cardio machine I like least in the gym.

The reason I went for the bike was because I didn't have much space for it at home, and bikes seem to have the smallest footprint.

It's also very quiet (the one I got anyway you can hardly hear), so great for watching TV and not disturbing others in the room.

• nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    All you need is yourself, a mat and burpees.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Rowers are great. Don't take up much space and you can watch cartoons while doing it! I am a slug but if you do it for a 1/2 hour every day you will be rocking!
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Honestly my treadmill is collecting dust. I haven't used it in over a year. I enjoy running outside when possible or if not possible do a small circuit with weights or body weight. I often include mountain climbers, squats, lunges, butt kicks, high knees, jumping jacks, run up & down the stairs, push-ups, presses, dips, rows, chops, kettlebell/dumbbell swings... Just use your imagination go for reps or time, move in different ways and include different planes of motion. Oh a skipping rope is a nice inexpensive addition.