Paleo or no Paleo there lies the question.

Options

Replies

• Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm doing primal for health reasons. It can be very helpful for auto immune diseases. Also there is zero wrong with cutting put processed foods!! And eating organic and grass fed/free range/no hormones and antibiotics. I've had stomach trouble my whole life and I feel loads better and am losing weight steadily. But once again different things work for different people. I would just work towards eating healthier whole foods. If grains don't bother you by all means eat them! They do.sadly bother me :(
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'll start off with the disclaimer - I do agree with the posts about how this isn't a true "paleo" diet. But putting the title aside.
    My husband wanted to try it. I was totally against it but he has gone along with my hair brained schemes so I went along with his. We followed the Whole 30. I did not measure food although the Whole 30 suggests portions, a palmful of meat, handful of eggs, thumb size version of fat and lots and lots of veggies, few fruit. It also encourages you to focus on consuming carbs if you are active. They also suggest adjusting portion sizes.

What I found -
    While I'm normally a 6 small meal a person day, I did fine on the 3 meals plus a snack (when exercising) when I built my meals on their guidelines. I ate far more veggies than I ever would have. I never went hungry. I didn't crave foods. I enjoyed a lot of the food and a lot of their recipes (they recommend not making paleo versions of normal food). I also lost weight.
    I also found it was very restrictive and I had to always be prepared. I'm not the always prepared type. I struggled with finding something to eat after work when I was too tired to cook and finding meals that I could prepare ahead of time. Eating out was hard but we were lucky because there was a restaurant that offered a paleo friendly meal. It can be expensive.

In the end, it was just not sustainable for us. I still make some of the meals. I still build my meals in a similar fashion, portion of protein, some fat, lots of veggies but I don't restrict foods.
    If you approach it in a balanced way, it isn't an unhealthy diet even with the restricting foods. If you plan to eat just protein and fats, probably not so great.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It won't kill you.
    It's not magic either.
    It's just a diet like any other, if it lets you create a calorie deficit, you can lose weight with it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It won't kill you.
    It's not magic either.
    It's just a diet like any other, if it lets you create a calorie deficit, you can lose weight with it.

Can we just add this as the TL'DR to my post?

:D
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    What I don't like about paleo is the basic principle that it's based on, in that what paleolithic man ate must be our ideal diet. I see multiple problems with this.

1. Exactly which paleolithic peoples are we supposed to follow? Humans were spread out across most of the planet, eating what they could find in their area - and this would differ a lot from region to region. There would have been some regions where starchy roots/tubers were a staple food.
    All of this, of course, is somewhat moot, as the paleo approach to eating defines each.

Well, no, to point 1 regarding which paleolithic people's approach should be followed, "the" paleo approach doesn't address anything.

The problem is that there is no single paleo approach. Which one supposedly mimics which group of of paleo people? The one which allows grains or doesn't? The one which allows tubers or doesn't? The one which allows dairy or doesn't?

This is kind of pointless as far as the diet goes though, don't you think? It's like when people diss the Mediterranean Diet because when they were in <insert Mediterranean country> that's not how they saw people eat.

It's not pointless, it goes directly to the point which was
    the paleo approach to eating defines each.

I'm not "dissing" Paleo for having lots of definitions. I'm challenging a claim someone else made that it only has one.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Heamous wrote: »
    I have a few of my friends that want to start to do paleo, but they said that a lot of people are telling them that Paleo is bad for your health and bad to lose weight as well.
    What do you guys think:

It has proven to be healthy:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26269362
    (with the warning that the paleo tested in the RCTs is not the HFLC approach of popular authors/bloggers, but the "academic" paleo that is moderate in macros)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how it's defined and how you do it. Like most things.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    What I don't like about paleo is the basic principle that it's based on, in that what paleolithic man ate must be our ideal diet. I see multiple problems with this.

1. Exactly which paleolithic peoples are we supposed to follow? Humans were spread out across most of the planet, eating what they could find in their area - and this would differ a lot from region to region. There would have been some regions where starchy roots/tubers were a staple food.

2. Paleolithic people weren't concerned about age related illnesses, they just needed to get the energy to survive each day at a time, if something they ate was going to give them cancer in 30 years so what?

3. The agricultural revolution happened around 10,000 years ago, that has given us hundreds of generations since where people who couldn't digest cereals would have died out (I wonder if gluten intolerant people are the last remnants of this?).

4. Paleolithic humans would have been far more active than the average office worker. If you're going to match the diet, why not the activity level too?

Still, if you like the menu and works for you then fine, to each their own.

1. My roots are northeastern European. Big game and less edible plant options (than down south) would have been common. It's working for me.

As far back as paleo times? Given population migrations, I suspect none of us really know. I suppose you can do one of those deep DNA test things, but it's still going to be extremely incomplete, and chances are we are all mixes.

Also, chances are the foods currently available to us bear no real resemblance.

My ancestry is pretty much northwestern European, to my knowledge (which is incomplete, again) and that seems to correctly predict that I do well with dairy--which the paleo folks would have me dismiss.

Any diet that suggests that plant foods like fruits and veg are unhealthy because some climates made them difficult to get much of the year (hmm, much like the climate I currently live in) is, IMO, not very well supported or thought-out. However, most definitions of paleo I've seen -- and why I do think it's usually reasonably healthy -- are very pro such foods, suggesting that you should start by getting at least half of your plate from vegetables, for example.

Not authentic to the name, given food choices, but not a bad way to eat.
  • not_superiority
    not_superiority Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "Paleo" saved my life. I don't call it that or primal, but adopting the principals turned my overall health and well-being around. Haters gonna hate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

2. Paleolithic people weren't concerned about age related illnesses, they just needed to get the energy to survive each day at a time, if something they ate was going to give them cancer in 30 years so what?

3. The agricultural revolution happened around 10,000 years ago, that has given us hundreds of generations since where people who couldn't digest cereals would have died out (I wonder if gluten intolerant people are the last remnants of this?).

4. Paleolithic humans would have been far more active than the average office worker. If you're going to match the diet, why not the activity level too?

2. What foods would have caused cancer back then?

I believe that grilling meat has been linked to cancer. Presumably this link also would have existed in paleolithic times.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    3. I read that agriculture didn't really hit northern Europe until the Romans tried coming north. That would be roughly 2000 years ago. I could be wrong.

"This suggests the Neolithic people had relatively little plant food in their diet and instead were consuming large amounts of meat. It could also mean they were eating a lot of animal by-products, like milk and cheese, as these are indistinguishable from meat itself using stable isotopes. " - England. http://www.archaeologyuk.org/ba/ba12/BA12FEAT.HTML
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'll start off with the disclaimer - I do agree with the posts about how this isn't a true "paleo" diet. But putting the title aside.
    My husband wanted to try it. I was totally against it but he has gone along with my hair brained schemes so I went along with his. We followed the Whole 30. I did not measure food although the Whole 30 suggests portions, a palmful of meat, handful of eggs, thumb size version of fat and lots and lots of veggies, few fruit. It also encourages you to focus on consuming carbs if you are active. They also suggest adjusting portion sizes.

What I found -
    While I'm normally a 6 small meal a person day, I did fine on the 3 meals plus a snack (when exercising) when I built my meals on their guidelines. I ate far more veggies than I ever would have. I never went hungry. I didn't crave foods. I enjoyed a lot of the food and a lot of their recipes (they recommend not making paleo versions of normal food). I also lost weight.
    I also found it was very restrictive and I had to always be prepared. I'm not the always prepared type. I struggled with finding something to eat after work when I was too tired to cook and finding meals that I could prepare ahead of time. Eating out was hard but we were lucky because there was a restaurant that offered a paleo friendly meal. It can be expensive.

In the end, it was just not sustainable for us. I still make some of the meals. I still build my meals in a similar fashion, portion of protein, some fat, lots of veggies but I don't restrict foods.
    If you approach it in a balanced way, it isn't an unhealthy diet even with the restricting foods. If you plan to eat just protein and fats, probably not so great.

And this illustrates my point. You tried it, it worked for you but you found it unsustainable. However, you learned from it and can take what you learned and apply it to a diet that you can sustain.

Not every diet is for everyone, but if one appeals to you, it's fine to try it. Even if you discover you can't sustain it long term, you will have learned something from that will help you plan your own diet down the road. So if you want to try some form of Paleo, go for it. If you're unhappy with it and are not looking forward to making it a permanent change, then stop. If there are parts that helped you, apply them to your diet in your own way.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I believe that grilling meat has been linked to cancer. Presumably this link also would have existed in paleolithic times.

raising the incidence rate of cancer becomes irrelevant when they are the very calories keeping you alive. That's why food being "toxic" is a laughable concept.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

raising the incidence rate of cancer becomes irrelevant when they are the very calories keeping you alive. That's why food being "toxic" is a laughable concept.

I think there is a level of toxicity or contribution to cancer (or other illnesses) that can reasonably inspire a switch to alternate calorie sources (for those who are able to make the switch). I am not arguing that grilled meat falls in this category -- I have no idea how strong the association is.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

All of this, of course, is somewhat moot, as the paleo approach to eating defines each.
    As if.

Anyone else immediately think of clueless?

What do balls flying at one's face have to do with Paleo?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I think tea is allow on the Paleo diet.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Tried it for 9 months and the only thing I learned is that when I restrict foods, I tend to crave them more. I really don't like plans with a lot of rules. I rather just focus on getting 80-90% of my calories from whole sources (fruits, veggies, meats, fish, dairy, whole grains) and throw in some treats.

Besides, Paleo restricts a lot of good nutrient dense foods which is mind blowing like beans and nuts.

This. I really missed black beans, and I really couldn't figure out why I shouldn't be eating them if they cause me no digestive issues.

It's not unhealthy, but not necessary for weight loss; just eat at a calorie deficit, and it's easier to stay satiated for most people to focus on nutrient dense foods.
  • Heamous
    Heamous Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Are you going to stick to this for a lifetime? My advice is never give up anything for a diet that you can't or won't give up forever.

Losing weight is actually the easier part. Keeping it off is harder. You need to build up good habits now or you'll regain when the diet ends.

That is definitely true. It is hard as hell to keep it down.
  • Heamous
    Heamous Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot to all of you guys. It definitely show my buddies some new points of view, and I sure as hell learned something new as well.
    I lost a lot of weight excersicing a lot and eating Paleo but once I left Paleo I gained it all back and the. Some. That is why now I am looking for something that works for me for the long run, so that I can make it a habit and a way to live.
    I really appreciate all the help.