Food scale

Options
i think i keep breaking the food scales i get (two) because they keep weighing food incorrectly. Does any one know what im doing wrong?

Brands : Ozeri & eatsmart

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    How do you know that the weight of the food is not correct?
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by breaking them? More information please.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    How are they weighing food incorrectly?

More information is definitely needed. :wink:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hey @BriTyler3 a bunch of us would like to help but we need more details. What happens when you try to weigh?

In the absence of more details, I would suggest checking the batteries, making sure it's on a level surface, and checking the calibration with something of a known weight (for instance: a US nickel should weigh 5 grams. You can check the standard weights for other currency online).
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I assume weighing food incorrectly means the scale is making things either weight less or more than it's supposed to be. I had that happen and it's frustrating. I ended up getting a new scale and so far it's been fine. You may just have bad luck.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    Bronty3 wrote: »
    I assume weighing food incorrectly means the scale is making things either weight less or more than it's supposed to be. I had that happen and it's frustrating. I ended up getting a new scale and so far it's been fine. You may just have bad luck.

Things frequently don't weigh what it says on the package. That's why those of use counting our calories weigh them! :p

• shadow2soul
    Options

I rarely come across things that weigh what the package says they should. However, I've tested mine with things of known weight (like dumbbells, a nickel, 2 pennies, etc) and always get the correct weight for those items. Things just don't always come out of the factory at exact weight that the nutritional information was written for. If they could be trusted, I wouldn't bother weighing all my packaged food.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    If the nutritional information says that a serving is one slice of bread (30 g) and you weigh a slice of bread and it weighs 39 g, that means that you need to enter it into MFP as 1.3 servings of that bread.
  • Bronty3
    Options

I rarely come across things that weigh what the package says they should. However, I've tested mine with things of known weight (like dumbbells, a nickel, 2 pennies, etc) and always get the correct weight for those items. Things just don't always come out of the factory at exact weight that the nutritional information was written for. If they could be trusted, I wouldn't bother weighing all my packaged food.

I am assuming that the poster tested the scale and verfied it was incorrectly measuring, not that they assumed the prepackaged food could be correct. I figured mine out when it would jump around a lot. It would suddenly go from 6 to 10 to 5 and nothing had been added or taken away.
  • Bronty3
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Things frequently don't weigh what it says on the package. That's why those of use counting our calories weigh them! :p

I guess I chose to believe that the poster verified her scale was inaccurate and asking for advice on ways to keep her scale working properly, not that the poster assumed packages were correct. I am well aware of why people choose to weight their food, but if you arn't occassionally testing your scale with a known weight then it's possible over time your scale is no longer calibrated and is not weighing food properly.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    We won't really know what the OP is asking until the OP comes back to elaborate.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

I guess I chose to believe that the poster verified her scale was inaccurate and asking for advice on ways to keep her scale working properly, not that the poster assumed packages were correct. I am well aware of why people choose to weight their food, but if you arn't occassionally testing your scale with a known weight then it's possible over time your scale is no longer calibrated and is not weighing food properly.

I've seen too many assumptions go awry around here. I prefer to wait for more information before giving anything but basic advice. Otherwise there's a 50/50 chance I'm wasting my time and the OP's.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    This is probably something you'd need to take up with Ozeri's and EatSmart's customer service.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Get an OXO. It is SO much better than the others. No bending, twisting, squinting or acrobatics in general required to read the display, either.

It's totally more expensive and totally worth it.
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Yes im weighing the food & its weighing more than it should.
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    Sorry guys, but the food is weighing more than it should. For instance ill put a hand full of cauliflower & itll weigh in oz 2.46 (example)
  • shadow2soul
    edited October 2015
    Options
    BriTyler3 wrote: »
    Sorry guys, but the food is weighing more than it should. For instance ill put a hand full of cauliflower & itll weigh in oz 2.46 (example)

Test it.

2 pennies = 5 g
    1 nickle = 5 g

What are you expecting a handful of cauliflower to weigh?

edit:
    According to the USDA 1 floweret weighs approx 13 g.
    13 g = 0.485... oz
    Depending on the size of the floweret some could weigh more than this. It's just an approximation.
    So does your handful have approximately 3-5 flowerets in it?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've had several Ozeri food scales and had no problems with them whatsoever. If your food is weighing more than you expected, then what is happening is that you thought you could estimate your food, but it weighs more than you thought. The scales aren't wrong, you were wrong. Why would you assume the scale was wrong with the cauliflower? Cauliflower is quite dense.
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    BriTyler3 wrote: »

Test it.

2 pennies = 5 g
    1 nickle = 5 g

What are you expecting a handful of cauliflower to weigh?

edit:
    According to the USDA 1 floweret weighs approx 13 g.
    13 g = 0.485... oz
    Depending on the size of the floweret some could weigh more than this. It's just an approximation.
    So does your handful have approximately 3-5 flowerets in it?

This is smart. Will do.