Maintenance began today

Options
After a very thoughtful comment from my SIL who is also my BFF, I decided my 2 year weight loss journey is over and it is time to maintain. In two years I have dropped from 208 to 147.2 pounds. That is a 60.8 pound loss off my 49 yo, 5'4" frame. I work out 3-5 times a week which includes teaching Zumba and weight training. In the last 10 months I've lost about 10 pounds which is pretty close to a maintenance level. I honestly feel I'm more prepared for this more than I've ever been on previous times of weight loss. I'm excited to continue my journey of good healthy habits!

Replies

• M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Congratulation! I wish you happy and easy maintenance. :smile:

Take a look at this thread - lots of helpful info: Why does this seem scarier?
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You look great :smile: 61 pound loss is awesome! Congrats!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :flowerforyou:

And I agree, you don't look like you need to lose any more weight, well done :smile:
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Nice guns, lady! Congratulations on your success. Your starting point is about where I am now, and I am impressed with your results.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rdlewis123 wrote: »
    After a very thoughtful comment from my SIL who is also my BFF, I decided my 2 year weight loss journey is over and it is time to maintain. In two years I have dropped from 208 to 147.2 pounds. That is a 60.8 pound loss off my 49 yo, 5'4" frame. I work out 3-5 times a week which includes teaching Zumba and weight training. In the last 10 months I've lost about 10 pounds which is pretty close to a maintenance level. I honestly feel I'm more prepared for this more than I've ever been on previous times of weight loss. I'm excited to continue my journey of good healthy habits!

Congratulations! You have done this the right way, which means maintenance will be a cinch for you. You can do this!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Very well done! Keep up the exercise, and keep on being awesome! You rock!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :smile:
    and from your pic, your SIL is absolutely right, you look fab :smile:
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is an amazing accomplishment!
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look and sound just wonderful.
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The guns!!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Any words of wisdom you want to share?
  • rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

1) scales are not your friend
    2) calories in vs calories out
    3) find workouts you LIKE to do
    4) find a workout schedule you can live with in two years, five years
    5) find the support you need in places you feel safe
    6) most importantly, do it fo
  • rdlewis123
    Options
    Oops 6) got lopped off

6) do it for YOU
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Great advice, all of it. Continued success with maintenance.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    You look great and I'm sure you'll be fine in maintenance.............after two years you have it figured out, and your words of wisdom are perfect.

I've been here 2 years as well and will be there (at maintenance) in just a few more lbs......

A big congrats to you!!!!
  • rdlewis123
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words! Looking forward to this next phase.
  • pintorocket
    pintorocket Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are amazing--and look at those guns! Congratulations and best of luck. You're right: the scale is NOT your friend.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I'm confused by #1. I've read in several places that one of the common habits of people who have successfully maintained weight loss over a long period is that they regularly weigh themselves to keep things in check. Why do you feel differently?
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!

If I understand you correctly, you lost about 50 pounds in your first year and a little over 10 the second year. What do you think accounts for your steady rate of loss the first year? Would you mind sharing your calorie goal over that year (roughly)? I'm the same height as you, but have not had nearly the same rate as you!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »

I'm confused by #1. I've read in several places that one of the common habits of people who have successfully maintained weight loss over a long period is that they regularly weigh themselves to keep things in check. Why do you feel differently?

I think it's the idea that the scale isn't the only or even the best way to measure your progress. It doesn't tell you the difference between water, fat, or muscle weight. It won't show you how different you look. On the other hand, I greatly value the scale as one tool in my toolbelt. Over time (week and months, not hours and days), movement up or down tells me important information. And a food scale . . . priceless!