fighting type two diabetes and winning. Need friends to cheer me on.

Options
My doctor said type two diabetes is more bad choices that a actual disease it can be slowed or stopped by life style changes.

Replies

• threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My hubby is T2, and started out on insulin injections 2x per day 4 years ago and is now off insulin and managing his condition with diet, exercise, and a,regular schedule. He eats, exercises, and sleeps at the same times every day. In the beginning he was testing after every meal and after exercising to get an understanding of the effects

You say you are winning, and that's great! Hang in there - you can do this!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I definitely can make a huge difference. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be turned around. Keep it up!
  • tammy1432
    tammy1432 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 and could use some motivation also add me if you like
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Completely turned around my situation in four months; now 1 year later my doctor can't believe the difference in my vitals, blood work and other measures.

Frankly it was easy, all I had to go was start and not give up. Giving up was NEVER an option - giving up means poor quality health into my retirement and dying far younger and far sicker than I ought to.

Pretty easy decision, no?
  • CLEatMoulton
    CLEatMoulton Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep, go low carb, you be cured! :)
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I'm pre-diabetic and working to reverse it before it becomes diabetes. Would love any suggestions and friends to help with this.
  • Tinawood40
    Tinawood40 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Was pre diabetic and now in the normal range. Started in June. My doc is super happy with me. Lol.
  • CLEatMoulton
    Options
    My doctors advice is to strictly limit bread and their products. Corn is a no no. When you are cooking a meal. Eat a vegetable or fruit , and drink a glass of water while you are cooking,That way it means you will eat less of what is bad for you.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm also Type II.
  • DollieDaughtry
    DollieDaughtry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am working hard to reverse my type 2 also. Have cut out pasta, bread, (mostly) and limiting alcohol.. Started walking a few times a week - It has been a struggle for sure! My last A1C was 6.6 which is a huge improvement from where I started, however I take 2000 mg of metformin daily so that is what made the big difference for me. Go back next month for A1C and am really hoping to see more improvement. Would love to manage without the meds.. My Dr. said I needed to loose 10% of my body weight-which I have done so "fingers crossed"!!
    I will send a friend request!
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Love that you guys are talking about this! I am not diabetic, but my mom is a diabetes educator, so i hear all about this stuff from her. She is an RN and deals mostly with complex cases. She tries to get people to commit to making one change at a time (actually measure blood sugars, exercise, track food/count carbs, etc). Many people..... don't. So go you guys for being on top of it.

She also sees people with a lot of really rough side effects, who waited until they lost toes, lost vision, etc before bothering to make any changes. She has older patients who are completely blind because they were diabetic before insulin was available. Its sad that people used to go blind and die due to lack of medication, and now people are doing it due to poor lifestyle.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My T2 diabetes is now in remission after surgery and significant weight loss. Eating on a regimen will help stabilize your blood sugars and give you better energy throughout the day. Take some classes to get a better understanding of the nutrition side of it. This is a life of balance, which is always a good thing.

I recommend the plate method.
    Never skip breakfast, and have it the same time every day. Your first snack will be two to three hours afterwards. Eat all meals, all snacks, on a schedule.
    Try and include a little protein in every meal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My daughter who is not diabetic but has watched it progress through our family, swears by a run up and down the stairs at work after lunch. She says it prevents that after-meal sleepiness.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Is eating at the same time every day a must? I'm a school psychologist and will often have to alter my schedule. If I'm in the middle of a crisis or restraining a kid, doing a suicide assessment, etc I can't just stop and eat. Hopefully the schedule thing isn't an absolute. I can't imagine being able to do that with my job!
  • CLEatMoulton
    Options
    I do not think eating at the same time is a must. Most of our life's are not that routine. Walking is the most important thing and that can also be done at different times.
  • CLEatMoulton
    Options
    I am so fighting sugar cravings. I am trying everything to take my mind off of it. I hate this and am at a loss as how to stop them. Fighting in Alabama :'(
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Owlfan88 wrote: »
    I sent you a friend request. I'm pre-diabetic and working to reverse it before it becomes diabetes. Would love any suggestions and friends to help with this.

There's type 2 diabetes in my family which I'm trying to avoid. My doctor told me the best way to avoid it is to "eat like you already have it." i.e. limiting both refined sugars and simple carbs, eating small healthy snacks between meals, etc.

(He said the second best way, meant to be in addition not instead of mind you, is make sure you're active/exercising regularly!)