I. HATE. THE. GYM.

Options
I hear these people say over and over, "Oh, I love the gym! I can't wait to go!". The more they go, the more they love it. But I wonder; are they secretly just saying it, in hopes of convincing themselves? And to maybe make ME love it?

Well, I don't. I hate the bloody gym. I've been going on and off for years, and the last four months or so, I have gone religiously 5 days a week. I hated it at the beginning, and I hate it now. I will seriously be on the cross trainer sweating my bits off, day dreaming about my sofa and a Big Mac. And all I ever want to do is give up.

But, the difference is, I force myself. I make myself finish my cardio, finish my strength, finish my stretching. I want to quit two minutes into everything, but I just effin' do it. Get it over with! It's like anything else. I hate doing dishes but I still have to do them.

So, moral of the story is, whether or not you love to exercise, you can do it. The key: DON'T GIVE YOURSELF THE OPTION TO QUIT. If I can make my lazy *kitten* exercise for an hour, five days a week, so can you. And hey - I lost 30 lbs.

I'm all for finding things you enjoy ... unfortunately for me, the gym is just easier as I don't have time for weekly scheduled classes, my schedule is never consistant. I also can't do anything at home - I can't find the motivation. I NEED a place to go that requires me to do something. And I'm just naturally a lazy person, I am. I'll admit it. (Although once I am at a comfy weight, I'll start swimming again - I do love swimming. I just hate the swimsuit right now).

If people find something they love, that's awesome! I just wanted people like me to know, they're not alone, and it's possible to get the exercise.

And I agree with one of the last posts, I may hate the gym, but I love the feeling I get when I'm done!

Hey guys, I think my post was taken out the wrong way; I didn't mean to complain about going to the gym. I know I have to, so I do it and I work really hard at it because I want to continue with the results. I just don't enjoy it (except when I'm done. I do love that feeling). It works best for me because I can go to my 24 hour gym whenever I want; I usually only get a short window every day where I actually think "K, you need to go exercise". So I need that accessability. I won't do it at home, I need that designated workout space. There are things I enjoy, like swimming and walking my dogs. I just don't see the results I want, but they'll be great for when I go into maintenance mode.

I understand that a lot of you love exercise and activies, but there's a lot of us who don't and who struggle with it, and who feel guilty because of it. The whole point of my post was for people like me who need motivation and support and to know they're not alone.

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you're not going to do something the rest of your life, then why do it at all? Take up biking or running outdoors. Try playing club sports like basketball or soccer. Find something you DO enjoy, because 90% of the people that actually keep the weight off when they finish a diet have an intense workout routine. If you're just going to stop working out after you've lost the weight, you're going to gain it back probably.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    seriously, this is not the way you want to plan it out IMHO. As a trainer, I always stress people find things they enjoy. If you hate the gym, eventually that will become an issue. Find activities you like. For instance, I very rarely go to the gym because I to don't like the environment. But I do a lot of work in parks, running, and I play baseball in the summer and football in the fall, because I love them, they are both very active sports and break up the monotony of just working out.
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I am not much of a fan. BUT I do get excited to go, just because I feel frickin AWESOME afterward. Getting there is the hardest part for me. If I can get there, then I can push myself through my workout with a healthy dose of tv and/or good tunes. But it's not fun. I sweat like a maniac. My feet start to hurt. I get tired. But after it's all over, I don't hate myself for being a lazy *kitten*, I love myself for doing what I need to do. It's a definite trade off. I look forward to the gym only for the feeling it gives me, not the actual exercise, lol
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i find the gym a bit boring sometimes so i stopped a long while ago i use wii fit plus, wii your shape and go biking (started that 2day!) and fast walking i love the feeling i get when im done and know ive burned a heap of calories, u should mix and match ur training so u dont get bored, Good luck :smile:
  • lyndsaysutton82
    Options
    I know you "make yourself go", but have you ever tried the group classes? I'm not a fan of the machines, but I know why I use them. The classes, are so much more entertaining, and almost never the same. I also listen to music while I use the dreaded machines.

And I don't lie to myself when I say I like my gym. I honestly do. I have to like something in order to talk myself into going after a long day at my office.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you hate it, switch it up. I have been biking lately, and I NEVER get bored. You get to see cute squirrels, deer, and birds... be one with nature!! ;)

Another fun activity that burns lots of calories? Roller skating!!! Yes... at the skating rink! You'd be surprised how many people are there with their towels and sweatpants ready to burn the calories.
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm with you on that, thehulket. I hate exercise in generally. I go to the gym 4 days a week and work my @$$ off! I look at the same way you do: something that has to be done, like going to the dentist or doing the laundry. I hit my goal weight in October 2010 but I have continued to go. I hate the process, but I do like the results.
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I honestly love the gym.. I go twice a day (once in the morning to do cardio then I go at night to do strength training)... I have a great relationship with the employees and other members of the gym so I am super comfortable there. I agree with other posters of finding something you enjoy.. I hate yoga, zumba, pilaties, and spin class so I refuse to do them. Give me the treadmill, stairstepper, and free weights and i'm golden :)
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    As others have said, maybe you should find an exercise that you enjoy. Some people need a group environment like an exercise class compared to using a treadmill. I find that if I do the same activity day after day, I get bored and lose my motivation to workout. Maybe you try something new and see that is a better fit. How about tennis? or running with a group? or biking? or crew (if you live near water)?

You might not be getting the most out of your workouts because you hate it. What i mean is that you don't put enough effort and energy into what your body is doing. It is like the people who read while on a stationary bike. They aren't focusing on their workout, but on the article or book they are ready. Without that focus on their workout, they aren't pushing themselves and getting the most from their workout.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am not a gym person either. There are so many other activities available - why not make a list and start doing some of those instead? Bike, roller blade, hiking, yard word, walk the dog, wash windows, tennis, shoot hoops, on and on......
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's not so much that I love the gym but, as someone else said, I love how I feel afterwards. Also, I love that I know I'm getting stronger and more fit (especially doing something like C25K), and I love earning those extra calories!!

I agree with some of the others that maybe you need to try some other activities and see if they're more fun for you? Maybe you're more of a group class or DVD at home person... Better to find something you do enjoy, and/or keep trying new things to keep you interested so that this is a long term/life long habit, not something you dread doing every day.
  • thehulket
    thehulket Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm all for finding things you enjoy ... unfortunately for me, the gym is just easier as I don't have time for weekly scheduled classes, my schedule is never consistant. And I'm just naturally a lazy person, I am. I'll admit it. (Although once I am at a comfy weight, I'll start swimming again - I do love swimming. I just hate the swimsuit right now).

If people find something they love, that's awesome! I just wanted people like me to know, they're not alone, and it's possible to get the exercise.

And I agree with one of the last posts, I may hate the gym, but I love the feeling I get when I'm done!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love working out, whether I'm at the gym or somewhere else, and I'm not just trying to convince myself (or anybody else). Can you find something to like about exercise - I say exercise because your ire seems aimed at the effort rather than the location - that can keep you motivated? For example:

Having an easier time walking up stairs than previously
    Lifting things you couldn't before
    Feeling actual muscles in your arms and legs
    Seeing them in the mirror!
    Clothes becoming baggy

If you can focus on the results of the effort it might help shift your attitude about it. I got through Army basic training by telling myself "I can do anything for two months" and that mantra helped me get through one of the hardest physical challenges I'd ever voluntarily put myself through. Noticing the results along the way helped a ton. Now I have no problem doing exercise, in fact I err on the side of overdoing it and struggle to let myself recover. Perhaps give yourself a tangible goal you want to achieve (not "lose weight" but "finish a 5 k" or "do 10 real pushups") and consider your gym time your own personal boot camp.
  • bast2112
    bast2112 Posts: 63
    Options
    I hear these people say over and over, "Oh, I love the gym! I can't wait to go!". The more they go, the more they love it. But I wonder; are they secretly just saying it, in hopes of convincing themselves? And to maybe make ME love it?

Well, I don't. I hate the bloody gym. I've been going on and off for years, and the last four months or so, I have gone religiously 5 days a week. I hated it at the beginning, and I hate it now. I will seriously be on the cross trainer sweating my bits off, day dreaming about my sofa and a Big Mac. And all I ever want to do is give up.

But, the difference is, I force myself. I make myself finish my cardio, finish my strength, finish my stretching. I want to quit two minutes into everything, but I just effin' do it. Get it over with! It's like anything else. I hate doing dishes but I still have to do them.

So, moral of the story is, whether or not you love to exercise, you can do it. The key: DON'T GIVE YOURSELF THE OPTION TO QUIT. If I can make my lazy *kitten* exercise for an hour, five days a week, so can you. And hey - I lost 30 lbs.

____________________________________________________________________________

I'm all for finding things you enjoy ... unfortunately for me, the gym is just easier as I don't have time for weekly scheduled classes, my schedule is never consistant. I also can't do anything at home - I can't find the motivation. I NEED a place to go that requires me to do something. And I'm just naturally a lazy person, I am. I'll admit it. (Although once I am at a comfy weight, I'll start swimming again - I do love swimming. I just hate the swimsuit right now).

_______________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, I think my post was taken out the wrong way; I didn't mean to complain about going to the gym. I know I have to, so I do it and I work really hard at it because I want to continue with the results. I just don't enjoy it (except when I'm done. I do love that feeling). It works best for me because I can go to my 24 hour gym whenever I want; I usually only get a short window every day where I actually think "K, you need to go exercise". So I need that accessability. I won't do it at home, I need that designated workout space. There are things I enjoy, like swimming and walking my dogs. I just don't see the results I want, but they'll be great for when I go into maintenance mode.

I understand that a lot of you love exercise and activies, but there's a lot of us who don't and who struggle with it, and who feel guilty because of it. The whole point of my post was for people like me who need motivation and support and to know they're not alone.

And I'm here to say that YOU are not alone. Could have written this myself, only I have not quite found the amount of determination that you have. I give up all the time. I find the BEST excuses. I should have been an attorney! My latest excuse is actually good ( I think! I might also be deluding myself). I was on some antibiotics that have the possible side effect of 'tendon rupture'. I was told to not do any strenuous exercise, and that it could be a problem for MONTHS after I take it. I've hurt myself so many times in the past (thanks, fibromyalgia and hypermobile joints!) that I'm very afraid of hurting myself. I've at least taken the step of adjusting my calories for NO exercise, so hopefully I can at least maintain until I feel ready to exercise again. Bleh. But these pants are so tight, they almost make me want to exercise.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading this very much. I know exactly how you feel. My wife runs. She's been a runner her whole life. She says it's a stress reliever. I can't stand it. I don't like it, but I do it. And when I see the results, it's all worth it. Fake it till you make it. Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory!!!
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I hate exercise, any form of exercise. It hurts, it sucks, and like you I am just a lazy person and I don't want to do it. The entire time during my workout I am counting down the minutes until I can be done. But also like you I know it's something that I have to do in order to get the body that I want and to be healthy, so I make myself do it. I don't think that having this mindset is going to make me fail or quit. I hate going to the dentist too that doesn't mean I just stop going.
  • thehulket
    thehulket Posts: 33
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I hate exercise, any form of exercise. It hurts, it sucks, and like you I am just a lazy person and I don't want to do it. The entire time during my workout I am counting down the minutes until I can be done. But also like you I know it's something that I have to do in order to get the body that I want and to be healthy, so I make myself do it. I don't think that having this mindset is going to make me fail or quit. I hate going to the dentist too that doesn't mean I just stop going.

Thank you! That's exactly it. I'm not going to quit; I've gotten great results, why would I quit now? But it doesn't mean I enjoy it any more than I did before. It's just part of the lifestyle.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Thank you! That's exactly it. I'm not going to quit; I've gotten great results, why would I quit now? But it doesn't mean I enjoy it any more than I did before. It's just part of the lifestyle.

I agree with both of you. I may not ever just LOVE the gym (though I do love other things--like Tennis). But to me it has been part of growing up and accepting resonsability for my health and having or not havnig the body I'd like to have. Part of being a grown-up is doing stuff at sucks because it will pay off in other ways. That extends to all things in your life.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Why not experiment with other types of workouts? I never go to a gym, though I do have a Total Gym at home, which I use when the weather outside is bad or my workout time is foreshortened by circumstances beyond my control.

My favorite exercise is long walks, followed by long swims, long bike rides, and dance sessions.

If you hate, it won't do as much for you as if you find activity that you love.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you don't enjoy it. Don't go, and don't be ashamed about it. I lost the majority of my weight before I joined a gym.

There are plenty activities to do that you will enjoy that don't take place in a gym. Just do something that makes you move.

I knew a guy who lost 30 lbs by geocaching.