Wow! Red wine!?!

scolaris
scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/7317240

Well, it can't hurt if it fits in your calories?

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    that's interesting, although I always take these newspaper articles with a pinch of salt.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It might be good for rats and if they find something in it they could squeeze into pill form that helps people, yay! I'll stick with no alcohol and some exercise for now.

This will make the red wine lovers happy, though. :)
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    I drink a glass of red wine(5 oz.) every other day, eat dark chocolate on the days I don't drink and I've been losing great. But I always make sure it fits in my calories.

I drink it because I enjoy it. :grin:
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    I drink a glass of red wine(5 oz.) every other day, eat dark chocolate on the days I don't drink and I've been losing great. But I always make sure it fits in my calories.

I drink it because I enjoy it. :grin:

I applaud that, just goes to prove you don't have to cut out anything you enjoy in order to stay healthy.

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    So time to start working on the blueberrie, peanut butter, red wine and dark chocolate protein shake.
  • zebras1977
    zebras1977 Posts: 28 Member
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    So time to start working on the blueberrie, peanut butter, red wine and dark chocolate protein shake.

I'm totally up for that :p
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    winos, ADD ME!
  • scolaris
    I'm making red wine a new macro
    Hahaha
    Prolly not ~hangs head in shame~
    But a girl can dream...
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    I'll wait until my doctor tells me that a glass of wine a night helps lower cholesterol. I don't believe newspaper articles.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I drink wine almost daily, usually red, though not exclusively. I love reading articles that tell me it's good for me, because I'd do it anyway. I have never had cholesterol issues, which isn't all that common at my age, and even more uncommon at my age with a strong family history of high cholesterol.

Is it too early to open a bottle?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Had to laugh, the finding in the actual press release says the compound enhances exercise performance, and then they jump to the title of the article you posted that a glass of wine is equivalent to an hour in the gym. Journalism destroying science as per usual.
  • scolaris
    Heh you're right!
  • FatMoojor
    auddii wrote: »
    Had to laugh, the finding in the actual press release says the compound enhances exercise performance, and then they jump to the title of the article you posted that a glass of wine is equivalent to an hour in the gym. Journalism destroying science as per usual.

See I'm not sure about this, I once drank a couple of bottles of red wine and I could hardly walk. I reckon I would have killed myself in the gym :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    edited October 2015
    Except the gym doesn't have a negative effect on your liver. They always leave that part out.
    And also what auddii said.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Except the gym doesn't have a negative effect on your liver. They always leave that part out.

Red wine is not associated with health problems unless you overdo it. You can suffer ill effects from overdoing it at the gym too.
  • VeryKatie
    edited October 2015

Red wine is not associated with health problems unless you overdo it. You can suffer ill effects from overdoing it at the gym too.

Actually studies show that all alcohol, even moderate, affects the liver. Having 1 drink a day is the same as having 7 at once one time a week to the liver. Can't remember where I read it. So I suppose you could take that with a grain of salt, but I'm personally on the cautious side of things when it comes to drugs and alcohol.

You're right about the gym also.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member

Actually studies show that all alcohol, even moderate, affects the liver. Having 1 drink a day is the same as having 7 at once one time a week to the liver. Can't remember where I read it. So I suppose you could take that with a grain of salt, but I'm personally on the cautious side of things when it comes to drugs and alcohol.

You know what, depending on who you are talking too, just about everything is bad for you now days.
  • Need2Exerc1se

I will take that with a grain of salt. Especially since "affects" =/= "negatively affects". Eating fruit "affects" the liver.
  • VeryKatie

I will take that with a grain of salt. Especially since "affects" =/= "negatively affects". Eating fruit "affects" the liver.

I meant negatively effects. I'd said that in my first post so I figured it was implied.
  • Need2Exerc1se

I meant negatively effects. I'd said that in my first post so I figured it was implied.

Yes, I know. Something you read somewhere at sometime but don't remember the source. Got it.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Just curious: Is all of wine alcohol? If a 5 ounce glass is 150 calories 10% alcohol are the alcohol calories 15 or the 150 for the entire glass. If it is the 150 calories and someone on a 1200 calorie diet has two glasses then alcohol is 25% of their intake. Just curious
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Unlike so many things that people say are "toxic" alcohol actually is toxic. I'm not suggesting that everyone should stop drinking it and it should be illegal and all that, but it really is, technically, bad for us.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Just curious: Is all of wine alcohol? If a 5 ounce glass is 150 calories 10% alcohol are the alcohol calories 15 or the 150 for the entire glass. If it is the 150 calories and someone on a 1200 calorie diet has two glasses then alcohol is 25% of their intake. Just curious
    Knee-jerk response was "non-alcoholic wine is grape juice", but after rereading, that's completely not your question.

I would say the entire 150 calories would be attributed to alcohol. The reason for this is because you are consuming 150 calories that you now can't spend on food. So, yes, two glasses of wine would be 25% of the intake of someone who is on 1200 calories a day. And it would be really difficult to get all the nutrition you need for the day in the remaining 900 calories.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    what happens when i drink ONE 5oz glass of wine?
    i want another one
    then another one since the bottle is already opened and it spoils in 2 days.

I use this logic, too, so I keep Trader Joe's box wine around for the nights I am attempting moderation. It keeps up to 4 weeks and let's me save the bottles for the weekends. ;)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Here is an updated rat study on that rat study:
    http://circheartfailure.ahajournals.org/content/8/1/128.short
    Conclusions—Resveratrol treatment of mice with established HF lessens the severity of the HF phenotype by lessening cardiac fibrosis, improving molecular and structural remodeling of the heart, and enhancing diastolic function, vascular function, and energy metabolism.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I am in the wine business. I drink 1 to 2 glasses of wine, each day. I make sure that it fits in to my calorie count for the day.
  • FatMoojor

Yes, I know. Something you read somewhere at sometime but don't remember the source. Got it.

This was done on a TV show. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32798569
    Twins, 1 of them drank the "recommended" number of units a day, the other drank the whole weeks "recommended" number of units in 1 night.

The blood work etc at the end showed that both livers were almost at the same state. So yeah, it doesn't matter if you binge it or drink it spread out. damage is the same. It's the quantity which is the issue not how you drink it.