Calves hurt when running

Options
I've been doing interval running (I'm not every fit so don't judge) on the treadmill at the gym.
I do 2 and a half minutes of running, then the same walking, and keep alternating.
However when I run my calves kill, and I just can't run sometimes because it really hurts.
I've tried waiting 3 days for it to repair, but it still hurts. I always have a protein shake after the gym, and I don't do any weights for my legs..
Anyone know why?
Could it be my shoes? I got a pair of discounted running trainers at sports direct, but maybe it's them and they're rubbish?
It hurts at the back and inside of my calves.
Thanks! a

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    How long(Days, weeks, months....) have you been doing these intervals?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    tomhurst wrote: »
    I've been doing interval running (I'm not every fit so don't judge) on the treadmill at the gym.
    I do 2 and a half minutes of running, then the same walking, and keep alternating.
    However when I run my calves kill, and I just can't run sometimes because it really hurts.
    I've tried waiting 3 days for it to repair, but it still hurts. I always have a protein shake after the gym, and I don't do any weights for my legs..
    Anyone know why?
    Could it be my shoes? I got a pair of discounted running trainers at sports direct, but maybe it's them and they're rubbish?
    It hurts at the back and inside of my calves.
    Thanks! a
    Calf pain can be from a couple of different sources. The first being ramping up running mileage too quickly. So how long have you been running? How far/long are you running and how long have you been running that much? Do you think that perhaps you're increasing distance/time spent running too quickly? A really good guideline is to not increase weekly total distance by more than 10% from week to week. (If you ran 6 miles total last week, you'd not run further than 6.6 miles total this week.)

Another cause could be your shoes especially if they have a very low heel. Calf pain happens to many runners who switch from "regular" running shoes (with a 10-12 mm drop from heel to toe) to minimalist shoes (those that have a much smaller drop or have no heel cushioning at all).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    well it can be a lot of things
    it can be shoes. we all have different strides and thus needs from shoes. it is generally recommended that you get a gait analysis-a visual one is usually free and then buy the shoes from your local running store.

it can be that you did too much too fast, which is very very common.

I'm sure other people can give more advice
  • tomhurst
    tomhurst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about a month, so not too long. I'm not sure the distance b t I do it between 20-30mins at a time about 3 times a week.
    I'm thinking maybe I need different shoes. I think the way I step I place a lot of pressure on the inside of my feet and maybe my shoes don't suit that?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Walk until you are pain free. Then start with 2-3 mins walking, 1 min SLOW running. Increase gradually.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Walk when you start to hurt. It may help if you stretch out after your run. If you are not in shape your muscles are complaining.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I've been doing it for about a month, so not too long. I'm not sure the distance b t I do it between 20-30mins at a time about 3 times a week.
    I'm thinking maybe I need different shoes. I think the way I step I place a lot of pressure on the inside of my feet and maybe my shoes don't suit that?

It's always a good idea to get fitted for the right shoes for the way you run.

If you have a normal arch, you're likely a normal pronator, meaning you'll do best in a stability shoe that offers moderate pronation control. Runners with flat feet normally overpronate, so they do well in a motion-control shoe that controls pronation. High-arched runners typically underpronate, so they do best in a neutral-cushioned shoe that encourages a more natural foot motion.

Normal Pronation
    The outside part of the heel makes initial contact with the ground. The foot "rolls" inward about fifteen percent, comes in complete contact with the ground, and can support your body weight without any problem. The rolling in of the foot optimally distributes the forces of impact. This movement is called "pronation," and it's critical to proper shock absorption. At the end of the gait cycle, you push off evenly from the front of the foot.

Overpronation
    As with the "normal pronation" sequence, the outside of the heel makes the initial ground contact. However, the foot rolls inward more than the ideal fifteen percent, which is called "overpronation." This means the foot and ankle have problems stabilizing the body, and shock isn't absorbed as efficiently. At the end of the gait cycle, the front of the foot pushes off the ground using mainly the big toe and second toe, which then must do all the work.

Underpronation
    Again, the outside of the heel makes initial contact with the ground. But the inward movement of the foot occurs at less than fifteen percent (i.e., there is less rolling in than for those with normal or flat feet). Consequently, forces of impact are concentrated on a smaller area of the foot (the outside part), and are not distributed as efficiently. In the push-off phase, most of the work is done by the smaller toes on the outside of the foot.
  • tomhurst
    Options
    Overpronation sounds like me I think because the not absorbing shock properly sounds like what is happening.
    If the inside of both feet hit the floor first, is that Overpronation?
  • SueInAz
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Overpronation sounds like me I think because the not absorbing shock properly sounds like what is happening.
    If the inside of both feet hit the floor first, is that Overpronation?

If the inside of your foot is hitting the ground first, and not your heel, that right there is probably the cause of your calf issues. As I mentioned earlier, minimalist shoes have lower heels than traditional running shoes. It sounds like that may be what you ended up buying. Those shoes are specifically designed to cause the runner to have a mid-foot strike rather than a heel strike. While there are definitely some who feel this is a better overall way to run because it's how we run barefoot, it is much more work for your calves. Runners who switch from traditional shoes to minimalist shoes are instructed to make the switch very slowly to allow their calves time to build up.

If you want to continue to run that way you may just need to slow down how much you're running for awhile until your calves get stronger. Some strength moves for your calves at the gym may help the situation, too.
  • tomhurst
    Options

Thanks for the info. I'd rather not continue, so looks like I need more shoes. Annoying as they can be expensive.
    Would I just go for running trainers suitable for overpronation?
    I found this picture http://walkncomfort.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/over-pronation.jpg
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'd rather not continue, so looks like I need more shoes. Annoying as they can be expensive.
    Would I just go for running trainers suitable for overpronation?
    I found this picture http://walkncomfort.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/over-pronation.jpg

Go to a running store and get fitted.

• tomhurst
    Options
    Haven't got any round my area haha. Just a sports direct.
  • SueInAz
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you feel that you're an overprotator then find a pair of shoes to match and try them out. There's nothing wrong with trial and error other than the fact that it might cost you more money in the end because the shoes aren't right for you and you now need to buy another pair.

You might check out roadrunnersports.com and their Shoe Dog shoe fit tutorial: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp?v=2&cm_re=hpslots-_-FTV-_-shoedog

I like Roadrunner because all of their shoes are categorized by support and cushioning level. You can find the right shoe and either purchase it from them (with a 90 day fit guarantee I've taken advantage of more than once) or find the same model shoe somewhere else.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    mix things up a bit, change your routine.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Stretching helps. I walk to start then stretch and then run. If you are calves start hurting walk or stretch it out. Its normal when you start running to have aches just ease gradually into it
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    And of course as mentioned earlier...the right shoes are a must!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    You might check out roadrunnersports.com and their Shoe Dog shoe fit tutorial: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp?v=2&cm_re=hpslots-_-FTV-_-shoedog

I like Roadrunner because all of their shoes are categorized by support and cushioning level. You can find the right shoe and either purchase it from them (with a 90 day fit guarantee I've taken advantage of more than once) or find the same model shoe somewhere else.

Great link,..thanks!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    As I mentioned earlier, minimalist shoes have lower heels than traditional running shoes. It sounds like that may be what you ended up buying. Those shoes are specifically designed to cause the runner to have a mid-foot strike rather than a heel strike.

Most shoes stocked by SportsDirect are neutral with traditional heel to toe drop, so I'd be very surprised if they're minimalist.

I'm not convinced that this is shoe related per se, more likely gait and general conditioning.