When to take a rest day?

Options
How many days can you work out in a row?
What if your muscles are tired but you had huge thanksgiving meals and want to burn some of it off?
I worked out for 4 days in a row and everything is tired. I don't know what I should do today.

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day. de-training doesn't start for weeks in most people
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    How about going for a walk?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i take a rest from running when my running plan says to :) or if my body needs it.

that said, i usually still take a nice walk and do some yoga
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Rest day does not necessarily mean be a couch potato or lay in bed binge watching tv. It can still be active.

I take every Sunday off. I plan things that I do not normally do during the week. I usually take a walk around my neighborhood every evening after dinner everyday...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I take one to two rest days per week and a rest week every 8-10 weeks or so. also, a rest day doesn't mean you have to just do nothing...I still go for walks on my rest days and often do yoga...I just take a rest from vigorous exercise.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If my body is telling me I've been pushing it too hard - I listen. In the past I have gotten very hurt from not. It's bad on your joints. I was strapped with an immobilizer for months from a knee and ankle injury from not listening to my body telling me it needed a break. Rest days for me consist of walking and yoga.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice!
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My rest days are not true rest days. Even on days I am not in the gym, I, at least make sure that I get over my 10,000 steps a day. That might equate to a day at the park, a walk around the neighborhood or some marathon window shopping!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My opinion on rest-days is that you should schedule them into your training plan, so you're not all of a sudden "needing" a rest day. Same thing with deloading, I think programming in a deload is good so you don't get to the point where you're like "oh *kitten* I'm beat to death and need a break." Force yourself to take some rest and possibly just a light week here and there to prevent wearing yourself out. De-training occurs at approximately 3-weeks of inactivity.

As for the big meal, focus on eating right 90% of the time and don't worry about that 10%. Nobody is going to be be perfect 100% of the time, at least not in the long-run and part of successful weight-management are creating behaviors for long-term success.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You only grow, whIle you rest! ;)
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Love it! Haha but if you fry cns it takes 48 hours for that to recover. When I first started I'd go weeks at a time with out rest then a Friday would come up and I would finish class and as soon I touched my bed I passed out. Now I train with much more volume and intensity than before so I rest about 2-3 days a week so I don't burn out