Muscle Tone

Options
Hello :)

So, I do alot of cardio, but I'm wanting to start incorporating weight training as well. I'm wondering what type of lifts I can do to tone/ make some gains with my body. I weigh 100 pounds right now and everytime I try and lift I end up losing weight and looking like a child, so some lifting/nutrition tips are welcome! Thank you!

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I dont see how you lose weight by lifting if your 100 lbs

EAT MORE
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Strong Curves
    Starting Strength
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5

~~~~~~

Set your goal here to maintain and eat all the calories you get from exercise. If after 4 weeks you have lost weight then add 100 calories to your goal. Slowly work your way up till you find your actual maintenance range.

If your wanting to add muscle, then set your goal to gain 0.5 lbs per week. I think the recommended time frame to do it's 3 months and then cut a bit of the fat off, but I'm not 100% sure. I still have to research that a bit.
  • PaulBonham
    PaulBonham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We have very different problems (I'm 255lbs), but if I was you don't want to eat more, I'd do some research on healthy supplements (whey protein) that can help you to build muscle when you're lifting. Maybe you could also reduce the cardio a bit, just switch that time spent in to gym time.
  • michaeliaann_
    michaeliaann_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I dont see how you lose weight by lifting if your 100 lbs

EAT MORE

I feel like I eat alot already! I'm 5'2 and I eat around 1800-2000 calories a day D: but thanks for the reply!!
  • michaeliaann_
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Strong Curves
    Starting Strength
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5

~~~~~~

Set your goal here to maintain and eat all the calories you get from exercise. If after 4 weeks you have lost weight then add 100 calories to your goal. Slowly work your way up till you find your actual maintenance range.

If your wanting to add muscle, then set your goal to gain 0.5 lbs per week. I think the recommended time frame to do it's 3 months and then cut a bit of the fat off, but I'm not 100% sure. I still have to research that a bit.

Thank you very much for your response! I'll start looking into it! I will try eating the calories I burn from exercise, I usually just eat my 1,800-2,000 per day (I don't log my exercise because I worry the reduction isn't actually accurate!) I have been eating more though! I've gained 4 pounds since I joined MFP, so maybe this'll work for me!

Thanks again and I hope you have a nice day!
  • michaeliaann_
    Options
    lBonham wrote: »
    We have very different problems (I'm 255lbs), but if I was you don't want to eat more, I'd do some research on healthy supplements (whey protein) that can help you to build muscle when you're lifting. Maybe you could also reduce the cardio a bit, just switch that time spent in to gym time.

I was considering the reduction of cardio..I have an acquaintance who stopped doing cardio all together and now she's a bikini competitor. I do like my runs though, but I guess I'll have to adjust

Thank you very much for the response, and I hope you have a nice day!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You a very active? I looked at your picture - besides running do you dance ? Instead of distance running try a few wind sprints - up hill is great keep it short & intense just 2 x week. The 5x5 is a good program - I will send links to a couple of others later. Gradually increase you caloric intake until you see the scale going up - make sure you are getting enough protein 150 grams/day
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Strong Curves
    Starting Strength
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5

~~~~~~

This is a great answer. A heavy lifting program will help you gain strength and add nice muscle definition and shape (not bulk, as many women fear). I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a couple months now and have seen great changes in my body, but all the programs @shadow2soul listed are good choices for beginners. Read up on them, watch videos online to learn the correct form and get started. There are good groups on My Fitness Pal for both Stronglifts and New Rules for Lifting (probably for the others, too, but these are the groups I am a member of).

Lifting heavy in the weightroom is not nearly as scary as I thought it would be, and I wish I had started doing it years ago instead of dragging my feet. As part of a progressive heavy lifting program, you may need to drop some of your cardio because your body will need more rest to recover and rebuild the muscle fibers.

This post also has great advice for your calories. Keep logging and adjust them as necessary to make sure you are eating enough to maintain your weight.

Good luck!
  • GoodbyeFrumpyHelloHottie
    Options
    I'm in the exact same position at the moment, but luckily my boyfriend is guiding me through it. Nutritionally speaking, it's protein, protein, protein! If you're not hot on packing yourself to the gills with chicken fillets or eggs, then whey protein or protein bars (if you have a sweet tooth, like myself!) is a great way to go-I recommend BSN for the fact that they don't compromise on taste (oh, and remember to drink/eat them on your off days from the gym too!). Sorry, I know you didn't ask about the food aspect of things but, trust me, the more protein you take the easier it will be for you to tone up-I saw the difference in just a couple of weeks.

Concerning exercise, it depends which body part you wanna tone up and whether or not you have access to the gym. Planks are great for toning your abdomen, for example, and leg lifts, push ups etc. can all be done at home using your own body weight. Aductor is great for toning your thighs...In terms of physically using weights, then things like hammer curls and bicep curls-best advice is to consult the personal trainer at the gym, and allow him to build a regime personal to you. Good luck, and I hope you get the results you want! :)
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble eating more to hit an increase in calories a couple of calorie dense foods would be great for you :) Some nut butters on apple is a great hit of good fats and carbs with a little bit of protein, assorted dairy products - cheese and yoghurt, or even non dairy alternatives like coconut yoghurt are great if you need some extra calories but feel as though you can't eat much more food.