Group exercise

Options
Hi all,
What's everyones opinion on group exercise for weight loss and how effective you think they are?
Thanks!

Replies

• ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Group exercise classes are a wonderful way to meet people, have fun and be challenged and stay motivated. There is a large variety of classes to choose from depending on your interests. They are usually very affordable especially if you already have a gym membership or take classes offered through your local community/YMCA.

A good group instructor will provide constant cues on exercise form and technique and are often available before and/or after class if you have questions.

The right class and instructor can certainly help with weight loss goals. Just remember though that dialling in your nutrition is your primary key to weight loss.

Best wishes.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    if you find something you can stick with and are a social person then group classes is a great motivational factor to keep up with fitness.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    they are great for some people
    i'm not social but I do do yoga classes
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I love group exercise. For me it's been very effective. And I do like the social aspect and being directed to do things I wouldn't do on my own. For one of the classes I attend my friend actually checks me on on FB before I even get there so I better only miss if there is a good reason! Lol.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I like them, but couldn't do cross fit because they wait for you. I felt awkward and stressed having everyone wait for me to finish drills.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Basically, the exercise you enjoy and continue doing is the one that will help you reach your goal.
    I personally love some classes. If you do too, go for it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I just joined the gym last week and the variety of classes is great. It's not just legs bums and tums. Yesterday we did a class where the guy taught us deadlifts squats etc with a barbell. He was showing us techniques as we went along, resting in between each set. It was really good. I think this will give me the confidence to go to the free weights section after few more sessions. I did spinning on sunday that was a killer, really great workout. I am going to try circuit trainiing this week too

The instructor just said find classes that will push you otherwise won't see results
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Group classes can have a higher rate of member attendance consistency versus an individual going to the gym by themselves. The comradery that one gets with group classes is a main factor here because many try to urge or inspire others to do well as a group.
    Find one you like and stick with it.
    Weight loss depends mostly on CICO, but a good exercise program helps with calories out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • apittsle
    apittsle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really enjoy the energy you get from group classes, if I just go to the gym by myself, I get bored. I'm my final semester of nursing school, so it's hard for me to go everyday, but I do try to go three days a week.