Meal Ideas

Options
Hey everyone!
I need some help in the grocery department. I'm a 21 year old in college and have a pretty busy lifestyle so I need some convenient and reasonably priced meal ideas that I can grab quickly to bring to work. I'm sick of eating pasta and frozen dinners all the time because I know they aren't helping me reach my goals.

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Rather than searching for quick food on the go, have you considered picking a day of the week when you have more time, and making enough food to take with you every day for the week? It would be so much healthier, and cheaper too!
  • clvdandj
    clvdandj Posts: 76
    Options
    i like to make a HUGE salad. Black beans, corn, red bellpepper, cheese, ready grileld chicken, lettuce, and for dressing i use 1/2 ranch 1/2 bbq sauce mixed together. And i use the healthiest version of all these ingredients i can.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I agree with Angela. Pick a day, precook some good for you, yummy stuff and put it in single serving containers so you can just grab and go. There are TONS and TONS of websites with great recipes as well as great stuff on here. Good luck!!!
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I agree picking one day to tackle the kitchen. Then portion things out into individual sizes and put them in the freezer. I know we have summer coming up but soups are great things to do this with. You can make them low cost, low sodium and low cal.
  • ashleyrose90
    ashleyrose90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    That's an awesome idea. I will have to go and see what I can find.
    Feel free to add me too if you want. I need all the support I can get with this.
  • GinaSmash
    GinaSmash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Birdseye Steamers are a favorite of mine. They have varieties with brown rice and veggies mixed together. Sometimes I add meat or blackbeans. You can add a scrambled eggs and soy sauce to give it an asian twist or "taco" seasoned ground turkey for a mexican twist. There is also Slaw and Order, which is Hungry Girl's pasta fake out. I just use the broccoli cole slaw, pasta sauce and parmesan cheese. It works great in the microwave!

Slaw & Order
    PER SERVING (1/2 of recipe, 1 heaping
    cup): 148 calories, 3g fat, 610mg sodium,
    24.5g carbs, 6g fiber, 10g sugars, 8g
    protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4*

Prep: 5 minutes
    Cook: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
    One 12-oz. bag (4 cups) dry broccoli cole slaw
    1 cup low-fat creamy tomato soup (like Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque) or canned
    crushed tomatoes
    1 tsp. chopped garlic, or more to taste
    Dash onion powder, or more to taste
    Dash each salt and black pepper, or more to taste
    Dash crushed red pepper, or more to taste
    3 tbsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping, divided
    Directions:
    Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add slaw
    and 1/4 cup water. Stirring occasionally, cook until water has evaporated and slaw has
    softened slightly, about 5 - 8 minutes.
    Add soup/tomatoes, garlic, spices, and 2 tbsp. grated topping. Stir and continue to cook
    until hot, about 3 - 4 minutes.
    Season to taste with additional spices, if you like. Top with remaining 1 tbsp. grated
    topping. Enjoy!
    MAKES 2 SERVINGS