Low-cal but filling meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I make chicken fajita bowls using chicken, onion and bell pepper and I make a spicy fajita seasoning to stir fry it up (with about 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil)..

I use Misson carb low carb tortillia's (6 net carbs) and put them in bowls and toast them in the oven and fillup with my stir fry and cooked chicken.. you can add cheese, salsa or low fat sour cream... I usually leave these off.

One of my favs! I could eat this for days. I don't use the low carb tortillas but I get the fajita size because they are smaller but still satisfying. I also use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream and no cheese because I just don't like it. I'll sometimes add in some tomatoes or other veggies I have on hand.

Tonight, I had an acorn squash, roasted and stuffed with ground turkey, apples, onions, celery, and mushrooms with seasonings and it was SO GOOD. Around 375ish calories depending on what you use/quantities. I paired it with roasted brussel sprouts because YUM lol.

Soups are always a good choice because you can make them extra brothy to fill you up and add any veggies you want. I don't really do creamy soups but I love veggie and chicken based soups and you can use up extras in your fridge.

I also advise getting lots of friends with open diaries and stalking their meals for a while to get ideas!
  • tanyathiart1
    tanyathiart1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Xtra lean beef mince with some baked beans in tomato sauce is also very filling.
  • CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You guys... YUM. I am loving this. Not so much all the pepper talk, but everything else sounds delicious!

Spaghetti also turned out to be a good option. I make my own sauce, which apparently is pretty healthy according to MFP, and I got so full so fast. And it's so good leftover! And I can put cheese on it! I did not know that cheese was so low-cal and high-protein. Yay cheese!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Glad you are enjoying these new options. Cheese is about as high-cal as nuts. But it is delicious and filling. Use strong flavoured cheese and grate fine to get the most out of it.

Vegetables of all kinds are higher in fiber and water so will fill you up without adding a lot of calories. This time of year there are all sorts of winter squash. Try roasting them with a little olive oil and spices/salt.
  • thesatchito
    thesatchito Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is more a like a snack but I love cucumbers with lime and a bit of salt. I usually slice two full cucumbers, shower them in lime juice and sprinkle a bit of salt. I like to eat those while watching a movie or just after exercising. It's very filling and extremely low in calories. Sometimes I add chili powder too but that's because I'm Mexican :tongue:
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    This is my vegan low-cal but still tasty alternative to a cheese and tomato pizza - warm a wholemeal pitta bread, spread with tomato puree and a teaspoon of chilli tomato chutney, sprinkle a few pieces of chopped sun-dried tomatoes which have been pre-soaked in a little hot water to plump them up, loads of coarse-ground black pepper, top with 25g of grated smoked soya 'cheese' and grill until 'cheese' bubbles and browns a little, just under 300 calories. Great with a plateful of veg or salad.