Starting my pre-sleeve surgery journey.

Options
Hello! (: I'm Heather, 27 from SoMd. I'm in the middle of my pre-op paperwork and doctor visits. I'll be completely finished the week before Thanksgiving. I'm interested in strictly the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. My sw was 333 and my cw is 315. I started my journey August 19th and my surgery journey Sept 8th. My goal is to be in "twosville" before surgery which I'm hoping will be in January after the New Year and possible last family vacation with my son and husband before he possibly deploys in early 2016. But, who knows. I'm excited and nervous, the fears are starting to come into play the closer I get haha.

Replies

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hey Heather. Congrats! You are doing well! :) Though I'm not a fan of gastric surgeries (two family members who had them and gained all back -- which I'm sure you've heard before) but I am happy to help with your fitness journey. Feel free to add me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Are you starting to see the benefits from your loss so far? I graduated from the local weight loss program which included VSG a year ago last summer. The weight loss after surgery was glorious, though it was a lot of hard work the first few months to nurse my new tummy to health.
  • heatherhb_wlj
    heatherhb_wlj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Benefits.. I've lost a total of 17 inches from all over my body. I don't have any health issues of any type, I'm completely healthy except being double the size I should be. I guess I'm that 5% of morbidly obese people who don't have diabetes, sleep apena, high blood pressure or etc. I exercise, eat healthy, haven't touched soda in almost 2 years. This surgery is a tool for me, to help me in a way that I haven't been able to, to give me that extra edge I need.

I have heard the "horror" stories. My stepdad got bypass in 2004 and has been successful consistently. It is all about balance. You will drop and gain until you level off. But this is not a cure, you have to fight, work and beat pavement to make yourself who you want and be healthier and stay healthier. This is a mind game. The surgery doesn't fail, the person fails.

I just opened this new mfp if yall want to add me (:
  • Astrosfan82
    Astrosfan82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I was sleeved about 5 days ago and I have NO regrets. It has been a pretty smooth journey so far and am seeing real results! I agree that success is all in the person, this is just a tool to get us there but the hard work is within ourselves!
    Feel free to add me and good luck with your procedure!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a fan of weight loss surgery; my mom has had a ton of health issues since having hers, and she still doesn't eat right or exercise. So, it hasn't been that effective for her (she's smaller now, but not necessarily any healthier and still is overweight).

As I'm sure you know, the surgery is just a tool, so use the next few months to build the habits you're going to need after the surgery. Exercise (if your doctor says you're healthy enough to), even if it's just walking. Put you stats into MFP and try to stay within your goal.

Good luck with losing, and maybe if you can get the ball rolling you'll decided to give MFP a try for a little longer and not need the surgery.
  • metalmaiden63217
    metalmaiden63217 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am also beginning my vsg journey. I go on November 16 for my pre-surgical evaluations. I am so happy for you!! This seems like such a great experience, and I am really doing my best to make changes now, so i'm not as overwhelmed post op. I like how you stated that the surgery is a tool. That is so true. I hate how many people who are not informed about bariatric surgery consider it a "quick fix". They obviously do not know what they are talking about. Good luck, darlin!!

I just started using MFP again, so please add me or send me a message if you'd like!
  • CardiLuxe
    CardiLuxe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Omg congratulations! Xo