Ginger or mint soda

Options
mehmig
mehmig Posts: 55 Member
i don't drink regular sodas any more, and I don't do artificial sweeteners, so diet sodas are out. Here is a simple recipe for home made "soda" that I love.

Make a simple syrup of one part real sugar and one part water. I use organic sugar and water I filter from a zero water pitcher. You can double, triple, etc this recipe as long as you go one to one. Ie one cup sugar to one cup water.
Heat in a sauce pan until sugar melts. Don't boil. You can steep mint leaves or fresh, peeled ginger root in the simple syrup. Let it cool and put in a jar and refrigerate.

Use the simple syrup to make a soda by pouring a glass of mineral water, I like San pellegrino, but you can use whatever you like, just use a neutral tasting water, not one that is very minerally tasting. add a little syrup to the water. You won't need much. It will be a little sweet and very flavorful.

I hope you enjoy.

Replies

• WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, thank you, stopped driniing soda about 2 months ago so this is righ tup my ally! Any idea if you cn make this with stevia instead of sugar?
  • McRebecca
    McRebecca Posts: 72
    Options
    Nice Thank you! I love Ginger Ale so this would be a nice replacement.
  • mehmig
    Options
    You might have to tweak the recipe because you need to steep the ginger or mint in something and I don't think you would do that with stevia. Maybe you could muddle the mint or ginger in the bottom of the glass, add the water and stevia to taste.
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That sounds really tasty & refreshing. Thanks for sharing. Geri
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bump; I REALLY want to try this. Not because I love/loved soda but because it sounds so damn good!!!
  • mehmig
    Options
    It really is yummy. I am drinking a ginger one right now. I plan to take the ingredients on vacation and make my in-laws drink it. They already think I sort of nuts, this will push them over the edge!