Anyone In Lubbock, TX?

Options
Hello all!

There is a strong likelihood I will be at Texas Tech next year starting work on my PhD. I would love to know more about the area, especially about the places I should stay away from, and if anyone can recommend any good places to get an apartment. I'm 36, so I don't want to live in a particularly student-y area, and I want to be sure I know where not to go, even when I visit this winter. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I'm from there, currently in Ransom Canyon. What a coincidence, I'm going there for my law degree in a little more than a year! I know you're going to Tech, home of all things Red Raiders, but please stay away from Raider Pass. If you see a lady who looks like the one in my profile picture on campus, feel free to wave! I'll even friend you so we can compare notes on the Lubbock life.
  • zcb94
    edited September 2015
    Options
    One more note about TTU: although we'll both probably be too busy to keep up with them, Texas Tech is pretty good at most of the sports it offers. I'm currently watching a football game of theirs, and it's getting awesome!
    Edited to correct punctuation
  • LetterToCorinth
    LetterToCorinth Posts: 130 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks!! I'm looking forward to the football. :) Concerning Raiders Pass - I'll likely be avoiding any "student housing" in general. I'm too old for that. :)
  • LetterToCorinth
    Options
    Bump. :)
  • zcb94
    Options
    You mentioned wanting a PhD. What's your major?
  • LetterToCorinth
    Options
    Cognitive Psychology
  • zcb94
    Options
    Wow! You must be an ambitious soul. I'd crumble under the weight of all that stress! I highly recommend that you take a virtual tour before winter, if you haven't done so. I did that, and had a great time! If you're into this sort of thing, I've heard that Raider Church is an amazing student Chapel, which I wholeheartedly plan to attend!
  • LetterToCorinth
    Options
    Cool! I will do that! And it's nice to know there's a good option for a chapel. :)
  • LetterToCorinth
    Options
    I am actually planning a trip to Lubbock in January, provided the weather holds out.