Summer eating habit- need suggestions!

Options
tammykoon
tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
OK, I hate to eat when I am hot. In years past I would spend my day chewing ice and eating popsicles. At the end of the day once it cooled down I would PIG out! Well, I am changing my lifestyle and that includes summer. Here is the problem: I still hate to eat when it's hot.

Suggestions please.

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    you can still grab foods from the fridge without them being sugary popsicles.. try fruit, veggies, cool salads, etc. Pretty much everything I grab year round comes out of the fridge.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    During the heat of the day, eat things that are light and easy to digest (salads, fruit, etc). I would try and get some protein in there too - but I know protein sits in my belly like lead and I don't like that feeling when I'm hot. But, there's certainly nothing wrong with salads and fruit and such. Then have a larger dinner since it'll be starting to cool down then.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Ice Cold Watermelon! yum!
  • jennyk82
    jennyk82 Posts: 10
    Options
    If you like frozen items take fresh green or red grapes and put them in a baggie and freeze them! They taste amazing and you will get that cool treat that you are use to having.
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    Watermelon!
  • AlyssaDMurphy
    Options
    I find that I have the same problem. Lots of light meals. Chicken salad sandwich filling without the bread. Green salads with fresh fruits and cold seasoned baked chicken. Fresh fruits are also awesome in the summer months.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Cold fruit is SO refreshing on a hot day! Or, since you chew ice, try buying frozen fruit and eating that. Salads are nice and light and work well in the heat. You could also make smoothies. Add in a few egg whites and some protein powder and some fruit and it'll be cold, delicious, filling, and full of protein!!
  • becomingsara
    becomingsara Posts: 205
    Options
    FRUIT SMOOTHIES!!! :0)
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Grapes! Put a bunch of seedless grapes in the freezer; they're like teeny-tiny round popsicles with a burst of grape flavor.

Blueberries or strawberries over plain low- or no-fat yogurt with some nuts or (a very small amount of) trail mix sprinkled on top.

Lots of different kinds of salads using fresh veggies, chickpeas, etc.

I love eating during the summer and find it easier to make healthy choices, because I love summer fruit especially. But you're right that it's hard to think about sitting down to a big meal.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    how about fruit smoothies? something cold and still nutritious, if you make it yourself. I have also wanted to tried frozen grapes.

I eat a lot of my calories at night, although I always have something for breakfast. I know everyone says big meals at the end of the day are bad, but I find if I eat a big lunch, I still want to eat a big dinner and end up going over my calories. (or starving. :grumble:) Sooo, I try to save a good percentage of my calories for after work. If you plan for it and have the calories, you should be ok.
  • Rklane
    Rklane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salads is 5oz romaine, fresh tomato, one single serving mandarin oranges no sugar added drained, 3 oz of diced chicken breast, and 1 tbsp of Ken's lite poppyseed dressing. Total of 266 calories. Light, sweet and refreshing!
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    BUMP - there's lots of good suggestions already--no need to repeat. Basically, just eat light, COLD food!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Grilled veggie salad! Yum!!!
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Grapes! Put a bunch of seedless grapes in the freezer; they're like teeny-tiny round popsicles with a burst of grape flavor.

Blueberries or strawberries over plain low- or no-fat yogurt with some nuts or (a very small amount of) trail mix sprinkled on top.

Lots of different kinds of salads using fresh veggies, chickpeas, etc.

I love eating during the summer and find it easier to make healthy choices, because I love summer fruit especially. But you're right that it's hard to think about sitting down to a big meal.
    I most definitely agree with this!
    And I love to munch on ice, too. So I would keep that going.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I love love love to make wraps for meals in the summer! lots of veggies, fresh deli meats, nevr have to turn the stove or oven on! god for you and refreshing and fun! even kids like to eat wraps! you can find TONS of delish wrap recipes online! =)