Water Intake

Options
Is drinking water bad for you? My gym instructor said that I need to cut out my water intake cause I am retaining to much water. I only drink about five cups a day and burn 500 to a 1000 calories a day working out in the gym. I only eat near 1350 calories or less a day.

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    That's patently ridiculous. You wanna lose water weight? Drink more water. Water in and of itself is a diuretic, you only retain if you aren't drinking enough in the first place. I hope you aren't paying that trainer very much. Or better yet, get a new trainer.
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like very good advice. From everything that I have read on here and other resources, you really should be drinking 64 oz of water per day. If you are retaining water you need to check your sodium intake or other things that may cause water retention. Just my 2 cents.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Water is good for you. Your trainer may not be...

You retain water because your body doesn't get enough regularly so it holds on to what you have. If you keep drinking water it won't have to hold on to it. Lower your sodium intake and drink more water. Good luck.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    That's patently ridiculous. You wanna lose water weight? Drink more water. Water in and of itself is a diuretic, you only retain if you aren't drinking enough in the first place. I hope you aren't paying that trainer very much. Or better yet, get a new trainer.

Absolutely agree! run, don't walk, to another trainer.:huh:
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree! run, don't walk, to another trainer.:huh:
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That's crazy talk! You NEED water to lose water weight. 60+ ounces. Sorry for the potty talk--but your urine should be CLEAR if you're drinking enough water. Besides that, it's an important weight loss tool -- if you're drinking the right amount, your 1300 calories will feel like enough.

I never believed it until the last couple of weeks, but most of the time when you 'think' you're hungry, you're body really just wants more water.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Your body retains water when it's not getting enough, just like it retains fat when it thinks it's being starved. High levels of sodium and other electrolytes will also cause it to retain water. You might track your sodium intake to see if that is the culprit.

Our bodies need 64 ounces of water each day, although it's been proven that the water doesn't need to come strictly in water form. We get water from the foods we eat and the things we drink, plain water or not. However, if you live in a hot climate or sweat a lot, you need more than that to replenish what you're sweating out. It sounds to me like you're getting about the right amount of water, or maybe even too little depending on your sodium intake. I definitely wouldn't drink less that you currently are.
  • CMDuffy
    CMDuffy Posts: 1
    Options
    Get a new trainer! Water is an essential and key player in eating healthy and getting fit. The more you workout, the more water you need. The more you eat salty foods, the more water you need. The more soda you drink, the more water you need. If your urine is continuously clear, you have enough water.
  • Anthony80love
    Options
    FAT CELLS STORY WATER BUT WE HAVE TO BECAFEFUL OF NOT HAVING ENOUGH WATER SEE UR PHD. ABOUT THIS A PERSONAL TRAINER IS A GOOD THING BUT THEY SPECIAL IN DEVELOPMENT IN MUSCLE NOT REALLY IN DIET.
  • Anthony80love
    Options
    YES I AGREE.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Definitely get rid of your trainer, and drink more water.