Just looking to chat about food, fitness, life

Options
For a first post this is going to sound like a rant...

Okay here goes: I believe that I should eat a healthy balance of foods. I believe that I should not eat less than 1200 calories a day. I am human and only have one life... So I do have cake on my birthday and enjoy time with my friends... I am into being healthy.

Being healthy and maintaining or getting to a healthy weight should never be a prison sentence... Nobody around me believes in moderation... It is all or nothing... Deprivation or gluttony... Exercising/starving until you drop or having surgery...

I eat 1300-1600 calories a day and stray if I have reason too... I lift 3x a week, cardio 2x a week and at least 30 minutes of brisk activity everyday... I am 53... I was a size 16 when I was 29..., and have peacefully remained remained around a 2-6 since then... I weigh 123 am 5'0 tall and calipered body fat is 27%... I am settling into winter mode so my current goal is to maintain... When I shake off my winter blahs... I want to increase my lean muscle and get my body fat down to around 20%... The goal is to be healthy so weight/body fat is negotiable based on how it makes me feel...

Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• FeenixFlashfire
    FeenixFlashfire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hmm...
    Let's add a question... Does anyone have friends like that where it is all or nothing... They are either eating lettuce or they are eating a huge plate of fettuccine Alfredo?... And the entire thought of a balanced lifestyle is completely alien to them?
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are describing me lol
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Yes I'm in that boat! I have trouble making people understand you can be healthy and eat your cake too :) I lift 3 days cardio 2 days and I have the weekends off it works for me!!!
  • FeenixFlashfire
    Options
    Okay is it not the hardest thing to try get people to understand that being fit and eating right is not an exercise in pain and misery? It isn't easy and you have to put in effort... But you don't have to live on tasteless greens and naked chicken breasts while you spend all of your precious free time rotting on the treadmill ... Yes I speak dieting heresy, lol
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Most of the people around me are in the "nothing" category. Not many of my close circle (family, friends, etc.) care about nutrition or exercise. They probably view me as being in the "all" category, but that's not true at all. I try to maintain a healthy balance of nutrition and exercise and how anyone else views it is irrelevant to me. I don't discuss my lifestyle with anyone unless they ask a specific question. Otherwise, to each their own.

Good for you, OP for finding your balance and sticking with it regardless of others around you. It's not easy at times, so chatting with others here is a good idea.
  • FeenixFlashfire
    Options
    @BZAH10- I hate that you have no one around you... It makes it harder when everyone rolls their eyes and says of course you can eat that/ skip your workout... Fill in as necessary... And of course you can do x... But do you want to? Which is a question no one Ever seems to acknowledge ... And Thank you... It took me a decade to figure it out :)

@Summerkissed: got to love the do or die club... Sometimes I just want to cry for them... Life is too precious to give up "everything to be socially thin"
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    @FeenixFlashfire , thank you for your concern, but I'm one of those people who is determined and independent. I don't need anyone around me to keep reaching my goals and I don't mean that in an arrogant way at all. I simply mean that I am set on my path whether anyone else is with me or not. I'm the same way with working out: solo. Although I enjoy the gym atmosphere and the others there are definitely a source of silent support to me. And people here such as yourself are helpful as well!
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I'm getting so sick of my posted getting cut short!!! I also wrote my hardest thing is stress from just general life that's what makes things hard for me...I'm trying to get back into my 10 minute meditation everyday before breakfast! I live in a real rural area and I have no one close to me so I get on here to chat with like minded people. I've competed in figure comps and have been very successful but I still have family members around me that say I'm totally wrong in the way I do things and they keep on there yoyo dieting fads
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    I'm getting so sick of my posted getting cut short!!! I also wrote my hardest thing is stress from just general life that's what makes things hard for me...I'm trying to get back into my 10 minute meditation everyday before breakfast! I live in a real rural area and I have no one close to me so I get on here to chat with like minded people. I've competed in figure comps and have been very successful but I still have family members around me that say I'm totally wrong in the way I do things and they keep on there yoyo dieting fads

Congrats on the competitions! That's fantastic. The fact that you've done those and people around you still make these types of comments is completely baffling to me! Sorry, but I'm really glad you come here as a source of support.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    @FeenixFlashfire I still don't understand the socially thin thing....id prefer the physical fit thing lol I love a beer on the weekend and pizza on Friday nights....or a bbq then Apple crumble for desert! But during the week I stick to my eating for fuel not comfort (that still includes chocolate lol)
    @BZAH10 yes my family has been far from supportive....jealousy is a curse they say and they were calling me a skinny *kitten* behind my back lol yes I laugh about it, no point letting it get me down. people don't get jealous when your doing the wrong thing they only get jealous when your getting it right!!! And I'm like you I never discussed what I was doing or say I can't eat that I'd always plan ahead and make the better choice if we went somewhere little things like going out for dinner and asking for extra veggies no scallop potatoes or can I have no chips with my salad I never pushed it or made a big deal out of it! But everyone around me hated it!
  • FeenixFlashfire
    Options
    @BZAH10
    I am glad that you have that inner strength it is blessing... And yet I still say " you rock and way to go!" You succeed without backup... But I wish that you didn't have to yes?

@summerkissed
    Figure comps... Wow that is serious work and dedication... My trainer competes in NPC events... I really applaud you I know the work that goes into that... Along with why do you want to do that from people who just don't get it... Bravo
  • FeenixFlashfire
    Options
    Yep... I enjoy a good beer and I do home made pasta... Stuff like that... But the week as whole ...good solid macros... Carbs, healthy fats and plenty of protein...
    Make time for the workouts... Even if requires schedule juggling... Only misses sickness, injury or some real family crisis

Just takes effort... And a goal
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I have just missed a full week :neutral: school holidays (4 kids at home) and my step son pushing me to the brink of break down!!! Made life really really hard as I said stress is my biggest killer!
  • FeenixFlashfire
    Options
    Stress... My mortal enemy... Takes all I have to not devour everything in sight... Including the cats
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Stress... My mortal enemy... Takes all I have to not devour everything in sight... Including the cats

Hahaha!!!
  • proudseal
    proudseal Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hmm...
    Let's add a question... Does anyone have friends like that where it is all or nothing... They are either eating lettuce or they are eating a huge plate of fettuccine Alfredo?... And the entire thought of a balanced lifestyle is completely alien to them?

Haha yes! My SO can be like that sometimes. It helps to have other people in my life with a more balanced approach. Also I got an online coach to help guide me. Helps me walk the middle path.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a few friends in the all or nothing category. I myself can be put there... only I never reach the "all" part. I've been doing this for almost 3 years and still going strong... happy but never satisfied. I take endless amounts of *kitten* and good and bad advice about my nutrition and exercise plan, but like BZAH10 said, for the most part the opinions of others are of no consequence to me. I am on this path in life for a reason and my motivation, drive and passion have been absolutely on fire for three years. I love it and I feel awesome.

Good for you for choosing to be healthy and fit and for choosing to enjoy your life. Believe me, as strict as I am, when it comes down to family time like holidays, Sunday dinner or whatever, I am super indulgent and simply don't care! :smile: I don't list things in order of importance but if I had too I would say that family, my nutrition and exercise are all number one and equally as important. I have skipped family events for group X and I have skipped group X for family events.

I used to be a cardio junkie and lost all my weight that way initially. Now I have toned down on the cardio and do StrongLifts three times a week along with a variety of body strength activities including MMA and military style bootcamp. I also love to dance and I love to run :smile:

I am a very stubborn Scorpio so I tend to see everything as black or white and I tend to approach everything with furious enthusiasm. Personally... I am sick and tired of taking crap for how I choose to live my life. It's no ones business really. Over three years ago someone told me that by now I'd be sick or injured or I'd lose my motivation, etc. Well... here I am still ready to go, still top notch, still top of my game, still excited.. Oh well.

Blah, blah, blah... :wink:
  • summerkissed
    Options
    @cushman5279 hey there
  • summerkissed
    Options
    @cushman5279 hey there
    Funny how there are so many on the same path yet they are never close to us!!
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Well yesterday was one of those days that you look back on and say "AWESOME" we had 29 degrees so warm and sunny!! Got in a heavy weight session then finished off the veggie patch ready for planting today!!!