Good weight loss pace

Options
1lb/week is fairly standard, right? I am 2 weeks in to myfitnesspal and am at 4.2 already!

I know there is no way I can keep that pace going, and I'm even kind of surprised I'm that far already. Really, I haven't changed my diet a ton, nor increased my exercise a ton. It's just closely monitoring the calorie intake, and how many calories are in certain things. The past couple of days I've closed out 400 short of my calorie goal, which is set for 1lb/week loss. Weird thing is, I'm not even really all that hungry, which really surprises me as I like to eat! haha

Replies

• Bocciulo
    Bocciulo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! Depending on how you changed your diet could be why you are exceeding the 1lb mark. Just keep it up and congrats!
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing. I lost really quickly in the beginning too, then it slowed down to a steadier pace.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    It is not unusual to lose quite a few pounds a week at the beginning of this journey, you should stablize in a few weeks. If it continues you need to make some adjustments to your intake. PS: Try really hard to meet your calorie goal or your body will start holding on to the weight thinking you are starving yourslef. Good luck.
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is great news. It just goes to show that when we take into consideration and keep track of what we are eating we are more successful. Way to go..............
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds average per week is pretty normal. You'll lose a bit more the first few weeks, and, depending on how overweight you are, you might lose more too at the beginning.

BUT - your 400 cal deficit is WAY too high. You need to eat those back. Trust me, leaving them uneaten in the short term is effective, but in the long run it isn't sustainable!
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That is pretty awesome! Like the posts above, it isn't uncommon to loose quite a bit during the first few weeks. Just try not to be discouraged when you don't see this kind of loss long term. =) Keep it up!
  • bowenl
    bowenl Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah I would really watch it with the low low calorie intakes - just try to balance out the carbs/protein/fat for the day with the extra calories that you aren't using. That'll ensure that you are getting adequate nutrition. And yeah, you'll lose quite a bit the first few weeks. I lost 4 lbs in the first week alone. but it'll start to plateau the longer your body gets used to it. Enjoy the feeling now, it'll only get better!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    A lot of the initial loss is water weight, so while it is nice to see numbers go down, don't get used to it! I agree with others about not going too far below your calorie goals-400 is a lot. I did this and it resulted in quick weight loss that threw me straight into a plateau where I didn't lose weight for almost 2 months. Eating too few calories will mess with your metabolism, so try to meet your calorie goals daily!
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    Thank everyone. My goal is 21 lbs. to start (211 to 190), and I'll reevaluate as I close in to see where I would really like to be.

As for my calorie deficit, this is what I had yesterday:

1850 calorie goal

Breakfast: 240 calories
    2x Nutrigrain cereal bar (120 calories each)
    1 bottle propel zero (0 calories)

Lunch: 260 calories
    Healthy Choice cafe steamers, grilled chicken marinara, great BTW (260 calories)
    Sobe Lifewater (0 calories)

Dinner: 325 calories
    Horrible, I know, but I was in a hurry
    2 servings Marshmellow Matey's (Lucky Charms ripoff, 240 calories)
    1 serving skim milk (85 calories)

Snacks: 550 calories
    (taken throughout the day)
    2 Quaker low fat granola bars (90 calories each)
    small twist cone from McDonald's (150 calories, awful I know but it was 105 degrees yesterday! lol)
    1/2 bag microwave popcorn (210 calories)
    1 bottle crystal light flavored water (10 calories)

1375 total calories eaten.

I'm eating, not all that well at times, but I'm eating.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone. My goal is 21 lbs. to start (211 to 190), and I'll reevaluate as I close in to see where I would really like to be.

As for my calorie deficit, this is what I had yesterday:

1850 calorie goal

Breakfast: 240 calories
    2x Nutrigrain cereal bar (120 calories each)
    1 bottle propel zero (0 calories)

Lunch: 260 calories
    Healthy Choice cafe steamers, grilled chicken marinara, great BTW (260 calories)
    Sobe Lifewater (0 calories)

Dinner: 325 calories
    Horrible, I know, but I was in a hurry
    2 servings Marshmellow Matey's (Lucky Charms ripoff, 240 calories)
    1 serving skim milk (85 calories)

Snacks: 550 calories
    (taken throughout the day)
    2 Quaker low fat granola bars (90 calories each)
    small twist cone from McDonald's (150 calories, awful I know but it was 105 degrees yesterday! lol)
    1/2 bag microwave popcorn (210 calories)
    1 bottle crystal light flavored water (10 calories)

1375 total calories eaten.

I'm eating, not all that well at times, but I'm eating.

sorry, but 1375 just isn't enough - especially since most of it wasn't very nutritious. You REALLY need to try to hit your 1,800 calorie goal. You ate less than me, and I'm 40 pounds lighter than you. and female.
  • dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    I lose at a rate of around 1lb per week - some weeks I stay the same, very rarely I loose more than 1lb - the thing is all those one pounds mount up to big pounds! Although my ticker says I've lost 35lb - I've actually lost 40lb in total - 35lb of it since last November - I do it at a rate I know I can live with - I can't bear to feel starving hungry and weak - and I want to be able to do this long term - for the first time ever I'm taking it slowly - and actually getting to where I want to be!!! :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Oh man, you need some nutrition in your diet. Throw in some real food, fresh veggies and nice cuts of meat. Anyways. I have it set on here to lose 1 and 1/2 lbs a week and i have dropped 8 lbs in 3 weeks. Pretty good.
  • 3ball
    Options
    The 475 short was just one day. Usually I'm within a couple hundred or so. Cereal for dinner isn't a habit either, just no time to cook yesterday.
  • 3ball
    Options
    BTW, the Cafe Steamers from Healthy Choice are pretty decent, as far as frozen meals go. The grilled chicken marinara is my personal favorite, at least for what I have tried so far.
    http://www.healthychoice.com/frozen-meals/cafe-steamers.html

Also, the Sobe Life Waters aren't bad, and they make for good water bottles when you are done with them.