Healthy weight.

Options
Reading some of the responses I've seen tonight got me wondering. Do most of you shoot for a weight that you feel us ideal or one that you know is where you'll be healthy. I ask because I'm 5'8" and I'm not sure what is healthy as far as weight. I've seen things that say 150 is top end healthy but I have been 135 pretty much most of my life without TRYING to diet ir workout. It just stayed there because I really didn't eat like I do now. So. 135? Or 150? I feel fat at 150. I want to get into my fav jeans again someday.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you don't feel slim enough at 150, try 140, or 135. It's up to you. How you feel will depend on body composition/body fat% too.

ETA: I'm 5'4" and see many women my height getting to 115. I'm just under 130 and you can see my rib cage under my arms and throughout my back. I'm also around 20% body fat. I wouldn't want to cut below 125.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'8" and 140 is good for me. I started at 155 (167 was my heaviest) in April and that's too heavy for me.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* However you like. I'm the same height and aiming for what I think converts to about 145.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't know what weight is ideal for myself because I've been overweight most of my life. My plan is just eat at a small deficit and lift weights until I'm satisfied with my body regardless of what the number on the scale says.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't know what weight is ideal for myself because I've been overweight most of my life. My plan is just eat at a small deficit and lift weights until I'm satisfied with my body regardless of what the number on the scale says.

That's a great plan :) Not just sayin' because I did the same either.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If you don't feel slim enough at 150, try 140, or 135. It's up to you. How you feel will depend on body composition/body fat% too.

ETA: I'm 5'4" and see many women my height getting to 115. I'm just under 130 and you can see my rib cage under my arms and throughout my back. I'm also around 20% body fat. I wouldn't want to cut below 125.

^ Agreed.
    I also have similar stats to arditarose, but I think my body fat is just a tad higher than hers (or my perception of my self is really skewed). My original goal was 130 lbs (higher than other women with my stats), but I lowered it to 122 lbs. I'll see what I look like there. If I look too thin/ill, I'll put on weight until I'm where I am now (around 125-129 lbs is where I'm currently fluctuating/trend weight has me at approx 127 lbs).

The healthy range for a person who is 5'8 is 122 lbs - 164 lbs. I say find your happy place anywhere within that range.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8, and for me personally 135lbs would be the absolute lowest I would go. 140lbs is my goal
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    As long as you're healthy, do what feels right for you. Sometimes looking at a chart or another person just creates confusion.

I was heavier than I am now when I got out of the military, but was leaner and had more muscle. When I got out I actually felt a little better when I put on a few more pounds of fat over that muscle.
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8, and for me personally 135lbs would be the absolute lowest I would go. 140lbs is my goal

That's my goal now is 140-145 I figure in 50 so I don't need to strut a bikini or anything so that would be doable for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ttfnweight wrote: »
    Reading some of the responses I've seen tonight got me wondering. Do most of you shoot for a weight that you feel us ideal or one that you know is where you'll be healthy. I ask because I'm 5'8" and I'm not sure what is healthy as far as weight. I've seen things that say 150 is top end healthy but I have been 135 pretty much most of my life without TRYING to diet ir workout. It just stayed there because I really didn't eat like I do now. So. 135? Or 150? I feel fat at 150. I want to get into my fav jeans again someday.

I'm 5'8 too

My goal weight was 160, I'm currently hovering around 158 which is within my 5lb scale weight range

My BMI is 24, my BF% is around 23, my waist is 27"...my activity level is high and I workout with progressive resistance 3 times a week

I wear a UK 8-12 (US 4-8) because clothes sizing sucks

By any standard I am healthy

These things you have seen that say top end at our height is 150 are total bollocks
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Scale weight is not just determined by height, but body frame and musculature

One of the shots on my profile is a google shot ..it demonstrates how important muscle is to getting your body tight ...and how muscle weighs more than fat by volume

Strongly suggest progressive resistance training
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It depends on your bone structure and how much muscle you have. The number will be different for all.

I'm 156 and it's way too fat for me. I'm thinking 20 more pounds need to come off, but will have to see exactly how many. Don't want to be a stick. Don't want to have big muscles. Just want thin and toned. I'll know it when I see it. :)

If you're not sure what is healthy for you, ask your doctor next time you're in. They don't like to give numbers, but if you're close, they'll give you a decent range.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Doctors will give you BMI range because that's what they know and we know BMI is a population measure and only useful for around 70% of the population

I fail to see how a doctor is a useful point of contact beyond that for scale weight
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    O
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Scale weight is not just determined by height, but body frame and musculature

One of the shots on my profile is a google shot ..it demonstrates how important muscle is to getting your body tight ...and how muscle weighs more than fat by volume

Strongly suggest progressive resistance training

k. Are there apps for it that I can do at home? Or must it be done at the gym? And if at the gym, since I've never done it where do I find instruction on how to?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Read this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

Get a programme
    Books
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

This is the shot I was talking about ...it isn't me ....there is probably a year to 18 months between each shot, it's not quick or easy to build muscle...but it's addictive and enjoyable :)
    wxy1lxqvbhdn.jpg

Also there's Staci
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

If you can't bring yourself to do free weights yet then do a decent bodyweight programme
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

But it all comes down to calorie intake for fat loss so don't forget your calorie counting
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1