What should I try to eat and what should I stay away from (personally)

Options
My diet issues stem from more than just portion control. I do not try hard enough to eat healthy options, mostly due to not having a lot of variety available, but also because I do not try.

This is what I like: Apples, Bananas, Watermelon, carrots, celery, broccoli, kholrabi, green beans, brown beans, spinach, artichoke hearts, corn, grapefruit, potatoes, lettuce, asparagus, and that is what I can think of.

This is what I hate: tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, peppers, cabbage, strawberries, cherries, kale and oranges, and that is what I can think of (I bet there is more, there has got to be!)

This is what I have never tried: plums, pears, peaches, pomegranate, pomelo, pumpkin, and anything not listed already (again, I could be forgetting something)

My strangely phrased discussion title means, based on my likes and dislikes, what should I try or not try? Is there a logic to this? Let me know.

Replies

• madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Can you articulate what you dislike about the things you hate?
    For example, I find it curious that you should hate cabbage and kale, but like broccoli and spinach, since they are quite similar. Could it be the preparation you've tried that you hate rather than the item itself in some cases?

Anyway, I'd definitely try the winter squashes (butternut is my fave, great roasted or on soup), fennel (can be eaten raw or cooked for distinctly different flavour and texture), eggplant (roasted particularly, in salads, or in moussaka), snow peas (great either raw or stir-fried), maybe try leek slowly braised for a more subtle onion substitute.
  • susan_mcconnell
    susan_mcconnell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It probably is a flavor thing. I guess there are not as many parallels in my tastes as I would hope. Would you say I am off to a good start with what I do like? Or could I still grow in tastes?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You've got enough variety on your "like" list, but keep your mind open to new foods and different preparations.

And don't eat at my house--my "love" list looks like your "hate" list: tomatoes, kale, mushrooms, strawberries, onions and peppers!
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's all such a personal choice. You like this but not that, but something very similar may go either way. Try a new fruit and vegetable every few days if you can. I don't care for mangos, but love melons and nectarines. There is such a variety, just be adventurous!
  • susan_mcconnell
    susan_mcconnell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    so if you haven't tried romaine as a salad base, that's something.

I prefer romaine to iceberg, romaine or spinach for my salad base always.
  • EspressoLvr
    EspressoLvr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you try new foods in general. But from your list of likes, bananas, corn, and carrots are high in sugar, and while "healthy", not great for weight loss.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Try ALL of the fruits and veggies. If you don't absolutely hate a veggie, keep making it in different ways until you find one that you love,

If you're not familiar with fruits and veggies, spend some time hanging out in the produce section. If you can afford a copy, either "The Visual Food Encyclopedia" or "The Illustrated Cook's Book of Ingredients" have pictures of food and tips on buying it. That way, you'll know a turnip from a rutabaga, Swiss chard from rhubarb and scallions from leeks. Your library might be able to get a copy.

Try watching "Good Eats," which reruns on the Cooking Channel and is on amazon (and maybe Netflix.) He devoted many shows to making veggies in yummy ways. "The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" has some great recipes and is probably available through the library system. There are many sites with veggie recipes, like "Oh, She Glows."

It's a lot of work. Sometimes you'll make things you don't love. Sometimes you'll mess up and have to eat something very iffy. Stick with it and keep trying new things. When you have a diet full of yummy, healthy stuff, you'll be so glad you went through all the effort!! :)

If you haven't had edamame yet, put that at the top of the list of things to try!
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    fruit and vegetables aren't the only healthy option. Theres nuts, seeds, legumes, dairy (greek yoghurt) meat and eggs. You could perhaps roast a bunch of different vegetables for dinner, coat them in olive oil first. Try celery or apple with peanut butter.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    My diet issues stem from more than just portion control. I do not try hard enough to eat healthy options, mostly due to not having a lot of variety available, but also because I do not try.

This is what I like: Apples, Bananas, Watermelon, carrots, celery, broccoli, kholrabi, green beans, brown beans, spinach, artichoke hearts, corn, grapefruit, potatoes, lettuce, asparagus, and that is what I can think of.

This is what I hate: tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, peppers, cabbage, strawberries, cherries, kale and oranges, and that is what I can think of (I bet there is more, there has got to be!)

This is what I have never tried: plums, pears, peaches, pomegranate, pomelo, pumpkin, and anything not listed already (again, I could be forgetting something)

My strangely phrased discussion title means, based on my likes and dislikes, what should I try or not try? Is there a logic to this? Let me know.

There probably is one or more underlying logics to it, but I can't identify them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make an account on Pinterest. Use search term with three of your items.
    You can make meat with broccoli and carrots on the side for example.

Do you like tacos or burritos? You can make them with meat, Romaine, and corn.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

You have enough YES foods to work with for now. Work with those:
    Apples, Bananas, Watermelon, Carrots, Celery, Broccoli, Kohlrabi, Green beans, Brown beans, Spinach, Artichoke hearts, Corn, Grapefruit, Potatoes, Lettuce, Asparagus.
    Do you eat rice? Oatmeal? Yogurt? Cottage cheese?

6s6rpwgftz3n.jpg

http://www.thekitchn.com/top-five-ways-to-prepare-kohlr-60321
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you like broccoli while hating cabbage and kale, which are also cruciferous vegetables. You could try different ways of preparing them - kale chips get a lot of buzz. What about cabbage in coleslaw? (I need to watch the mayo!)

I grow kale cuz sometimes what they have in the supermarket is old and tough and like chewing grass. I like kale in soup:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/portuguese-chourico-and-kale-soup-recipe.html
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/sausage-kale-and-lentil-soup-recipe.html

I make this a lot. I add canned salmon or tuna: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015085-pasta-with-anchovies-garlic-chiles-and-kale

I make kale salad with especially tender leaves. I add oil & vinegar, garlic powder and celery salt, and let it marinate for a bit. I like grated carrots, sharp cheddar, and canned salmon or tuna.

Or you could just stick with broccoli :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

You have enough YES foods to work with for now. Work with those:
    Apples, Bananas, Watermelon, Carrots, Celery, Broccoli, Kohlrabi, Green beans, Brown beans, Spinach, Artichoke hearts, Corn, Grapefruit, Potatoes, Lettuce, Asparagus.
    Do you eat rice? Oatmeal? Yogurt? Cottage cheese?

6s6rpwgftz3n.jpg

http://www.thekitchn.com/top-five-ways-to-prepare-kohlr-60321

mmmmm Kohlrabi....wish I had some; just made stir fry with pad thai rice noodles. Celery, garlic, cabbage, broc broc, and chicken. Some classic sauce and dinner is ready in 3 . . . .2. . . . .
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I read a study once that said you had to try a new food item 12-14 times in several different combinations of preparedness before your body would adapt to the new flavor profile and truly let you know if you enjoyed it or disliked it rather than just rebelled against it because it was new and different.

I can't seem to find the study now (not helpful, I know) but if anyone else does it'd be awesome if you share the link.

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Spaghetti squash and parsnips are both mild and versatile. Try roasting a bunch of root vegetables together. Eat them as is or puree them with broth and a little milk or cream. Season to taste and you've got a wonderful soup. This could be good way to get some veggies in if you have issues with texture.