New to Running

Options
Olivia174nicole
Olivia174nicole Posts: 15 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys, here's a little bit about me. I started my weight loss journey last year. I was 194 and made it to 160. But unfortunately I gained it all back. Im at 193 right now. I am more fit than when I started last year, but at the same time I'm not if that makes sense. I just started running today, I have an app for beginner runners, I tried it out this morning and it was great. It was only day 1 though. I wanted to quit more than once because it was hard, but I pushed myself.
Anyone else new to Running or have any advice for a beginner runner?
What are some of yalls successful weight loss stories because of running?

Also I'm looking for new friends that will be motivating, so please add me if you want!

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner now for years but I haven't really lost weight 'because' of running. Diet is much more important in weight loss... and important for fueling for running. I've found that when I train for a marathon, I stay at the same weight mostly because I'm hungry a lot haha. If I'm running shorter distances, I can keep my cals in check more easily. Running is fun for me and, if it helps me lose weight, that's a bonus but I try to follow the CICO method more than focus just on running alone.

That saying, 'you can't outrun a bad diet' comes into play lol
  • sarahbarbara012345
    sarahbarbara012345 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We sort of have similar stories. I was at 208 lbs then lost 70lbs, but gained some back so I am at 160lbs now. I used to be able to run 5 miles but now can barely do 2. We just have to push ourselves. Probably follow a running plan. I'm most likely going to do the Couch to 5K. We can do this! :)
  • militarygirl92
    militarygirl92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, here's a little bit about me. I started my weight loss journey last year. I was 194 and made it to 160. But unfortunately I gained it all back. Im at 193 right now. I am more fit than when I started last year, but at the same time I'm not if that makes sense. I just started running today, I have an app for beginner runners, I tried it out this morning and it was great. It was only day 1 though. I wanted to quit more than once because it was hard, but I pushed myself.
    Anyone else new to Running or have any advice for a beginner runner?
    What are some of yalls successful weight loss stories because of running?

Also I'm looking for new friends that will be motivating, so please add me if you want!

I'm an addicted runner :D always nice to find a fellow druggie (dark humor sorry lol)
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Running will only help you lose weight if your diet is at a deficit . Running helps me maintain my weight and allows me to eat more. I didn't enjoy running to begin with but 3 years on and I'm total addicted. So what I'm trying to say is ,sort your diet out and consentrate on that to lose the weight, running will help you get fitter and give you something else to think about apart from food, and also give you some extra calories to eat but try to only eat back half the calories.
    Good luck with you weight loss and hope you learn to love running as I do.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1) get fitted for appropriately fitted shoes. local running stores will generally offer a free gait analysis. buy the shoes there. they might have running workshops or groups too.
    2) don't do too much. go slow. and don't run every day. beginner programs include rest days for a reason. going too fast or doing to much can lead to injury or burn out or decreased performance
    3) enjoy it.