Gained 4 pounds in less than a week! HELP!

Options
I been eating clean, healthy foods, low sodium, lots of fruits and vegetables and exercise everyday. Today I got on the scale and it was up 4 pounds! How? Is it stress? What retention? Because there is no way I ate that much.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's just a fluctuation. We all fluctuate everyday, sometimes by several pounds. If you're on or around your period that will make you retain water, if you have more food in your system than normal that'll make you weigh more, and sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason. In order to have gained that much fat you'd have to have eaten 2000 calories over your maintenance each day. The weight will probably be gone in a day or two.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    blessingsfromabove721 Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Have you started a new workout routine?

It is more than likely water retention or normal fluctuations and will come off in due time :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I been eating clean, healthy foods, low sodium, lots of fruits and vegetables and exercise everyday. Today I got on the scale and it was up 4 pounds! How? Is it stress? What retention? Because there is no way I ate that much.
    Then just be patient.

• BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Could a new diet do this too?
  • blessingsfromabove721
    blessingsfromabove721 Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Could a new diet do this too?

How long have you been on this?

For some people it takes a couple weeks to see any change on the scale unfortunately
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" does not cause weight (fat) loss/gain. If you are eating at a deficit, then you'll lose weight, if you are eating at a surplus you will gain weight. You can do either one while eating "clean".

If you know you ate at a deficit, then chalk it up to water weight and move on, eventually it will come off.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    How long does it take for a person's body to fluctuate before it goes down?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How long does it take for a person's body to fluctuate before it goes down?

a few hours, a few days, a couple weeks.

There's no standard answer...that's why it's a fluctuation.

Chart your weight trend over the long term. Don't worry about day to day or week to week fluctuations.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I'm going to go ahead and say this, I was under eating for a bit, so I decided to up my calories a bit but continued to exercise. So is this normal? My body is just adjusting to the new diet, then it would go back down?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Daily fluctuations, maybe use the scale once a week instead.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I usually ignore the scale and go by how I feel. But it's a complex issue a lot of us go through. I do like the number and the feeling. I hope my body can adjust to this new calorie adjustment and go back down.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I gain four pounds A DAY, in fluid and food and normal fluctuation. You're fine.

Weigh at the same time of day under the same conditions. Continue eating at an appropriate deficit and have patience.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Just go potty. Most problems in life can be solved by doing 1 of 2 things.

1. Eating
    2. Pooping

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Mine's doing it right now, too. It has been a few days, and there's no way I ate enough to gain weight (maybe some ounces, lol). Dunno why, but I have been constipated and have a headcold, both of which are unusual for me. I'll just assume it's that since I wasn't stuffing my face with doughnuts in my sleep or anything :grin:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    @BlackPantherChick123 - Where are you in your menstrual cycle? Ovulation and being premenstrual are always good for a few pounds up for me.

When's the last time you weighed yourself?

Are you weighing all your solid foods and measuring your liquids to ensure the accuracy of your calorie counts?
  • dianaiku
    dianaiku Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's just a fluctuation. We all fluctuate everyday, sometimes by several pounds. If you're on or around your period that will make you retain water, if you have more food in your system than normal that'll make you weigh more, and sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason. In order to have gained that much fat you'd have to have eaten 2000 calories over your maintenance each day. The weight will probably be gone in a day or two.

Wow, thanks! This is new information to me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    dianaiku wrote: »

Wow, thanks! This is new information to me.

I don't weigh myself the week before my period, because the scale shoots way up. I don't step back on the scales until 2 days after they're dead and gone :lol:

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal daily fluctuations, relax and keep doing what you're doing.