So what the heck

Options
How the heck did I drop 3.5 pounds overnight. I expected to be the same or possibly a little heavier because I ate a large meal late and then was up early. I am dumbfounded as to why? Could I have dropped that much water weight overnight? I have been increasing my water intake per someone's suggestion so maybe?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate due to a number of factors -- hormones, sodium intake, the amount of food in your body, muscles retaining water. Focusing on daily fluctuations isn't all that useful -- that's why many people who record a daily weight focus on the trend instead.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Could be water weight, could be daily fluctuations.

Again, great job on taking advice and upping your calories :)
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Ok I was concerned down 6,5 pounds this week. Still strange
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Probably water weight. It happens to me all the time overnight.... gets me all excited, then I realize it was just water that I lost lol
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    6.5 pounds in a week? How did you do that? That's a pretty big fluctuation
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »
    6.5 pounds in a week? How did you do that? That's a pretty big fluctuation

She undereats.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You've been sick and not eating...you're probably a little dehydrated

You need to set up an account on trendweight.com...you have a fitbit it will automatically pull your MFP weight logging and give you trend information and then you can look over an appropriate time (6-8 weeks) not day to day

It's another trick in getting your head right

Look this is me in the last 3 months, you know I'm at maintenance and I'm good at calorie logging

Look at how scale weight black dots go up and down massively ...but the overall line is generally around the same

hmh8wv1sbsqr.jpg

This is my calorie intake, there's very little direct correlation ..cos hormones, sodium

wccxzn01xw9y.jpg
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You've been sick and not eating...you're probably a little dehydrated

You need to set up an account on trendweight.com...you have a fitbit it will automatically pull your MFP weight logging and give you trend information and then you can look over an appropriate time (6-8 weeks) not day to day

It's another trick in getting your head right

Look this is me in the last 3 months, you know I'm at maintenance and I'm good at calorie logging

Look at how scale weight black dots go up and down massively ...but the overall line is generally around the same

hmh8wv1sbsqr.jpg

This is my calorie intake, there's very little direct correlation ..cos hormones, sodium

wccxzn01xw9y.jpg

I like that. Going to set up an account for sure
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    I set it up and it looks better with the trend weights 1.5 a week. Thanks a bunch again. You are so smart.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I'm a geek :) I like data
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Anything under 2 month trend is not worth looking at IMO
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations - totally normal.
    If you aren't familiar or used to what is happening on the scales, I'd suggest weighing weekly instead of daily.

You seem a bit like me in the sense that you'll put too much emphasis on what your scale tells you. This is the reason I don't weigh in daily. Logic tells me that I will be up and down constantly when weighing every day - but I still feel a little put out if I see a 'gain' despite knowing it isn't actually a 'gain'. Stick to weekly and track your progress that way :)
  • Mylargirl
    Mylargirl Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    A few weeks ago, after months of steadily losing weight and maintaining a daily calorie deficit, I gained 4kg (9lb) in one day. I was freaking out, but a week later I had lost it again. It was the week before my period. I had no idea retaining water could make that much difference. It's really helped me put into perspective the problem with using scales!

Edit: I also don't have a scale at home and only weigh myself weekly at the gym. I find if I weigh myself daily, I get obsessive and lose sight of the bigger picture that I'm getting fitter and stronger and healthier and happier.