The Struggle

Options
I started my weight loss journey 6 months ago at 249 and 2 days ago I decided to actually try and fight myself to stay focused. I'm at 255 and it's hard I need help with food to eat and stuff. Please someone who knows better help me. My first goal is 200lbs, second goal is 175 and my third goal is 155

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Have you entered your info into MFP and gotten a calorie goal?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    we can give you a very long list of food and even exercise but if you don't want to do it right now you won't lose weight.

It's apparent to me anyway you didn't want it bad enough over the last 6months...

my only advice is decide which hard you want...

it's hard to lose weight and it's hard to be overweight...choose your hard...

and this is coming from someone who yo yo'd the same 40lbs for 3 years and finally found MFP and 2 years later I am down 60lbs.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I wrote a list of meals that I like and prepare. My go to breakfast is bacon and avocado. I have a big salad with protein for lunch everyday and roasted veg with meat most nights. I dont use dressings or roast with oil.

At the start I kept an inspiration folder with pictures, quotes, information in. I also kept a journal. Good luck.
  • gmmoor1
    gmmoor1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

No I haven't not sure what that is.
  • gmmoor1
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    we can give you a very long list of food and even exercise but if you don't want to do it right now you won't lose weight.

It's apparent to me anyway you didn't want it bad enough over the last 6months...

and this is coming from someone who yo yo'd the same 40lbs for 3 years and finally found MFP and 2 years later I am down 60lbs.

I didn't want it before and I was easily defeated I want it now and I've been working at it but not sure how to achieve it on my own I need help. I've gone down 1.5 lbs in the past week but since I haven't gotten back to my original weight it doesn't look like I've lost anything on the chart. I'm focused and ready to do this I just need tips. That I can go do and not be confused with.
  • gmmoor1
    Options
    I wrote a listing meals that online and prepare. My go to breakfast is bacon and avocado. I have a big salad with protein for lunch everyday and roasted veg with meat most nights. I dont use dressings or roast with oil.

At the start I kept an inspiration folder with pictures, quotes, information in. I also kept a journal. Good luck.

Thank you I will do the journal suggestion and take photos as well.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    gmmoor1 wrote: »

It's My Fitness Pal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

My advice is to eat "regular" food. Temporary dietary changes - low carb, or no sugar, will set you up for failure during maintenance.

As you are logging food, you will find some surprises. There are things I choose not to eat (anymore) because they just aren't worth it (to me). As you are logging you might tweak things here and there. There is a learning curve to find things that keep you full longer, and that help you meet protein and fat goals.

I'm fat because my portions are too big, and I snack too much. These are things I will need to control forever. Logging doesn't mean I don't snack....but it does hold me accountable.

Don't try to go crazy low in calories. Weight loss takes time. Being miserable for months on end is no way to live.

You don't have to be perfect to lose weight. Cut yourself some slack. Just aim to make better decisions and the weight will come off.

After food is squared away find an activity you enjoy. Move more. It doesn't have to be crazy hard, it just needs to be consistent.

Here are a couple good threads for newbies:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I didn't want it before and I was easily defeated I want it now and I've been working at it but not sure how to achieve it on my own I need help. I've gone down 1.5 lbs in the past week but since I haven't gotten back to my original weight it doesn't look like I've lost anything on the chart. I'm focused and ready to do this I just need tips. That I can go do and not be confused with.

Then my suggestion is this...

Get info into MFP with a 1lb a week weight loss goal, buy a food scale, eat the food you like/love want and log it for about a week (maybe less) see where you can change eating habit and start substituting higher calorie foods for other things.

For example instead of a big bowl of cereal and whole milk weigh out a serving and use 1% milk.

Instead of eating a bag of chips weigh out a serving

Instead of chicken wings choose chicken breast.

My diary is open if you want to see what I eat and have for my entire time here...

Eggs, bacon, chocolate, fast food, pie etc...just smaller portions and I weigh it out.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    -Make sure MyFitnessPal is set up accurately and gives you a reasonable target based on your goals
    -Log all your food as accurately as possible using a digital scale to weigh things
    -Try to make a habit of being active, even if at first it's just walking 20 minutes every day
    -If you log exercise, try to "eat back" at least half of the extra calories you've earned
    -Consider using a step/activity tracker like a FitBit, so you have a better idea of exactly how many calories you use throughout your day
    -LOG EVERY DAY. No matter if you binge. No matter if you don't know the weights of things. Just get into the habit of logging.

Do this for 6 weeks. At that point, re-assess and change goals if needed. Add more exercise, adjust your target calories, etc.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

MFP is the website you posted your question on. You have set up an account, are you using the calorie suggestions and the tracking tools?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi. I agree with others. Use the tool on my fitness pal to help you set a daily calorie goal. I would go in with a 1-1.5lbs a week weight loss goal. Tell it how active you are ( I sit at a desk all day so I'm sedentary). It will tell you how many calories you can eat to lose. Then, you just eat and log your food here.

If you aren't sure what kind of meals might work take a look at people's food diaries. Mine is public you can access it by clicking on my username and then clicking on view diary. I've only got this week filled in because I was on vacation last week and I don't log when I'm on vacation. It never hurts to make some friends on here either.

Don't worry about exercise yet if you don't currently workout. Just get your eating straight and then you can add exercise. One step at a time.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Do the MFP thing. DO EEEET!

Also, a dumb and rather personal question that you might just want to answer in your head:

Have you ever been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD? I ask because I have and I saw that you mentioned struggling to stay focused. If this is you I suggest doing some reading on the subject. I don't take meds and I don't consider it a disorder in myself (despite the acronyms!) but I have figured a few tricks to help keep me focused while losing weight, chief among them movement.

Good luck!
  • gmmoor1
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Welcome to MFP!

My advice is to eat "regular" food. Temporary dietary changes - low carb, or no sugar, will set you up for failure during maintenance.

As you are logging food, you will find some surprises. There are things I choose not to eat (anymore) because they just aren't worth it (to me). As you are logging you might tweak things here and there. There is a learning curve to find things that keep you full longer, and that help you meet protein and fat goals.

I'm fat because my portions are too big, and I snack too much. These are things I will need to control forever. Logging doesn't mean I don't snack....but it does hold me accountable.

Don't try to go crazy low in calories. Weight loss takes time. Being miserable for months on end is no way to live.

You don't have to be perfect to lose weight. Cut yourself some slack. Just aim to make better decisions and the weight will come off.

After food is squared away find an activity you enjoy. Move more. It doesn't have to be crazy hard, it just needs to be consistent.

Here are a couple good threads for newbies:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Thank you this was really helpful I will implement these things into my daily life.

Then my suggestion is this...

Get info into MFP with a 1lb a week weight loss goal, buy a food scale, eat the food you like/love want and log it for about a week (maybe less) see where you can change eating habit and start substituting higher calorie foods for other things.

For example instead of a big bowl of cereal and whole milk weigh out a serving and use 1% milk.

Instead of eating a bag of chips weigh out a serving

Instead of chicken wings choose chicken breast.

My diary is open if you want to see what I eat and have for my entire time here...

Eggs, bacon, chocolate, fast food, pie etc...just smaller portions and I weigh it out.

thanks I'll take a look. That helps.
  • gmmoor1
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    -Make sure MyFitnessPal is set up accurately and gives you a reasonable target based on your goals
    -Log all your food as accurately as possible using a digital scale to weigh things
    -Try to make a habit of being active, even if at first it's just walking 20 minutes every day
    -If you log exercise, try to "eat back" at least half of the extra calories you've earned
    -Consider using a step/activity tracker like a FitBit, so you have a better idea of exactly how many calories you use throughout your day
    -LOG EVERY DAY. No matter if you binge. No matter if you don't know the weights of things. Just get into the habit of logging.

Do this for 6 weeks. At that point, re-assess and change goals if needed. Add more exercise, adjust your target calories, etc.

Thanks I found myself eating the wrong things and I stopped logging but then I fell off because I wasn't accountable. So I'll start logging everything regardless
  • gmmoor1
    Options

MFP is the website you posted your question on. You have set up an account, are you using the calorie suggestions and the tracking tools?

I have begun tracking and calorie suggestions I'm always over my sugars though
  • WBB55
    Options

Thanks I found myself eating the wrong things and I stopped logging but then I fell off because I wasn't accountable. So I'll start logging everything regardless

In my mind, you'll have more success if you stop thinking of certain foods as good or bad. They're just food. Sure, sometimes we eat more calories of them than we intend to, but the food itself is neither right nor wrong. (Unless you have specific goals like managing diabetes or seizures or something like that.)
  • gmmoor1
    Options
    Hi. I agree with others. Use the tool on my fitness pal to help you set a daily calorie goal. I would go in with a 1-1.5lbs a week weight loss goal. Tell it how active you are ( I sit at a desk all day so I'm sedentary). It will tell you how many calories you can eat to lose. Then, you just eat and log your food here.

If you aren't sure what kind of meals might work take a look at people's food diaries. Mine is public you can access it by clicking on my username and then clicking on view diary. I've only got this week filled in because I was on vacation last week and I don't log when I'm on vacation. It never hurts to make some friends on here either.

Don't worry about exercise yet if you don't currently workout. Just get your eating straight and then you can add exercise. One step at a time.

Thanks I'll build on. I'll start with food then add in working out. I'll take a look at your food plan.
  • gmmoor1
    Options

In my mind, you'll have more success if you stop thinking of certain foods as good or bad. They're just food. Sure, sometimes we eat more calories of them than we intend to, but the food itself is neither right nor wrong. (Unless you have specific goals like managing diabetes or seizures or something like that.)

That's a good outlook, guess I should focus more on portion control.
  • WBB55
    Options

That's a good outlook, guess I should focus more on portion control.

you certainly can eat a bigger volume of salad with lowcal dressing for the same amount of calories as 7 walnuts or a slice of toast. But it's up to you which you find more satisfying. You'll only know by tracking your food and keeping a diary.

You can do it. You're in control of what goes in your mouth, truly. If you want to eat a bag of Doritos, it's ok. Just log it. Decide if it was worth it, and then think of that experience the next time you're faced with a bag of Doritos you want to eat.