Unsweetened almond milk

Options
Is it just me, or does it have a really bad aftertaste? I made a protein shake this morning with protein powder, strawberries and unsweetened almond milk and it's just yuck. Is it supposed to have a weird after taste?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or does it have a really bad aftertaste? I made a protein shake this morning with protein powder, strawberries and unsweetened almond milk and it's just yuck. Is it supposed to have a weird after taste?

Maybe its your protein powder, they sometimes have a nasty aftertaste. I personally like the unsweetened almond milk and use it on my cereal in the a.m. :) Or maybe you are just sensitive to the taste.
  • leannraya
    leannraya Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Maybe its your protein powder, they sometimes have a nasty aftertaste. I personally like the unsweetened almond milk and use it on my cereal in the a.m. :) Or maybe you are just sensitive to the taste.

Hmm, I don't think it's the protein powder, I use it in other shakes I make and I love the shakes. I also love strawberries, I'm just trying to get this down because I don't want to waste the strawberries lol
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Hmm, I don't think it's the protein powder, I use it in other shakes I make and I love the shakes. I also love strawberries, I'm just trying to get this down because I don't want to waste the strawberries lol

Wasting strawberries is a no go!! LOL
  • leannraya
    Options

Wasting strawberries is a no go!! LOL

I know right? especially after paying like $6 for the container.. I'm halfway through, you should see my face everytime I take a gulp LOL!
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hmm I buy unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I eat cereal with it, cook with it, put it in my protein shakes. I've never noticed any sort of aftertaste. Is it the protein you're using? Or perhaps, for some reason, the brand of milk you're using?
  • leannraya
    Options
    I use Fitmiss protein, brand new container and I've been using it in other banana shakes and tasted great. Maybe I'm just sensitive to the taste or not used to it
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Is it the shelf stable kind or the one in the dairy section? I find the unsweetened almond milk in the refrigerated section to be very good but some of the shelf stable ones can have a nasty aftertaste.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened cashew milk a lot better. There is no aftertaste, at least for me there isn't.
  • leannraya
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Is it the shelf stable kind or the one in the dairy section? I find the unsweetened almond milk in the refrigerated section to be very good but some of the shelf stable ones can have a nasty aftertaste.

I bought almond breeze, in the refrigerator section
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    To me the almond breeze as a funky aftertaste ....the silk vanilla unsweetened one doesn't
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would not use anything else. Are you using the brand name one "Silk"? The others I tried did have a taste I did not like. :)
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think regular milk has a funny after-taste that I cant stand :P but almond milk is just fine for me. Goes to show that we all have such different tastes!!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    No aftertaste. Must be something else.
  • leannraya
    Options
    I think I'll try Silk next time, I don't like this almond breeze :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you are comparing it to regular milk, then it's probably the lack of sugar. Milk has quite a bit of sugar. You might try one of the sweetened varities. They are still considerably less calories than regular milk.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I did not like the taste of unsweetened almond milk & went back to regular 2% milk (or Fairlife 2% milk since it has less carbs) for my shakes.

I haven't tried soy or cashew milk so that's next on my list to try and see how that goes. I'd like to get some kind of "milk" for use in my shakes that has less sugar (i.e. carbs) in it than regular milk.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I drink the Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla and it has no aftertaste.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You might just not like the taste, lol. It does have a particular taste. I know I'm not very fond of it and never buy it anymore.
  • leannraya
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so I can't use regular milk (it won't be pretty) I guess I can just stick to the water and the ice instead or I do love vanilla soy milk