Is this possible?

Options
Hello :)
I was wondering if it is possible to lose another 6 inches off my waist by January, or is that pushing it?
At the moment I'm 36 inches around my waist and I am hoping to drop a couple of sizes by the time the holiday season comes around. Preferably to a size 12 which is about 30 inches. I'm a large 14 at the moment.
I'm doing weight training 3 times a week, cardio 3 times a week.
I eat about 1400 calories a day (although on here it says 1600 but usually by the time I've eaten all that I don't feel like adding an extra 200 calories).
Ps. I've only started like 4 weeks ago and I unfortunately did not measure myself before I started so yeah I have no idea.

I just need a yes or no because I feel like I might be setting myself up for false hopes but you never know :)

Replies

• psoasi
    psoasi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You never know exactly how your body is going to respond.
    Is not a 100% yes or 100% no.

If you feel comfortable eating less calories and doing exercise, why do not try it?
    if you do not drop those 6 inches, maybe you loose 4, or 5, or maybe 1. But at least you tried it, and you were doing exercise and following a healthy diet.

Measure yourself right now, keep that and follow your plan.
    In the eating plan avoid pre-made foods and try to eat all natural. In the grocery store read the labels and try to avoid added sugars (you can eat things with natural sugars such as fruit). If what you are buying has sugar, check if it has fiber (if it has it, perfect!!!) Try to avoid any carbohydrate after 6 pm.

With the exercise plan you are doing well. Combining cardio and weight is a good starting point, but when you are doing your cardio, try to do it in your fat burning/aerobic heart rate range. This range will improve your fat burning metabolism.

If you have any doubt, let me know.
  • hypocraate
    hypocraate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    psoasi wrote: »
    You never know exactly how your body is going to respond.
    Is not a 100% yes or 100% no.

If you feel comfortable eating less calories and doing exercise, why do not try it?
    if you do not drop those 6 inches, maybe you loose 4, or 5, or maybe 1. But at least you tried it, and you were doing exercise and following a healthy diet.

Measure yourself right now, keep that and follow your plan.
    In the eating plan avoid pre-made foods and try to eat all natural. In the grocery store read the labels and try to avoid added sugars (you can eat things with natural sugars such as fruit). If what you are buying has sugar, check if it has fiber (if it has it, perfect!!!) Try to avoid any carbohydrate after 6 pm.

With the exercise plan you are doing well. Combining cardio and weight is a good starting point, but when you are doing your cardio, try to do it in your fat burning/aerobic heart rate range. This range will improve your fat burning metabolism.

If you have any doubt, let me know.

Thankyou! :)
  • psoasi
    Options
    BTW, when you do your measurements, be sure make them when you wake up (after going to the toilet) and also take on count your period. (being next or during the period makes your body to retain some water and be bloated)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No, because you say you didn't measure yourself. So there will be no way to know how many inches you lost.
  • psoasi
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    No, because you say you didn't measure yourself. So there will be no way to know how many inches you lost.

She doesn't need to measure herself.
    She knows which size of waist she uses in her jeans, so, she can take this size as starting point and as she progress in the workout/diet, she will see if she is needs a smaller size or if she is using the same.
    :)
  • hypocraate
    hypocraate Posts: 6 Member
    Options

She knows which size of waist she uses in her jeans, so, she can take this size as starting point and as she progress in the workout/diet, she will see if she is needs a smaller size or if she is using the same.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Not exactly. I lost 50 pounds and only went down one pant size. I was noticing changes in my waist before I went down that pant size because I was carrying a lot of the weight on my thighs, not my waist area. It all depends on where the extra weight is being carried.
  • psoasi
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

Not exactly. I lost 50 pounds and only went down one pant size. I was noticing changes in my waist before I went down that pant size because I was carrying a lot of the weight on my thighs, not my waist area. It all depends on where the extra weight is being carried.

If you read her post, she wants to lose inches in her waist. She also knows that she is using a size 14L (36inches) and she wants to use a size 12 (30 inches). So that's her goal. No matter how many pounds she will lose, she wants to reduce her waist, so her "measuring tape" will be her 14L pants at the waist.
    Of course she can fit perfectly in the thighs, but I was talking about the waist area of the pants, not thighs or calves.

But thank you for the note ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, so no one can say what you'll experience. Here's my data point: I started losing in mid-April 2015. 5'5", female, 59 y/o. SW 183, CW 135, i.e., I've lost 48 pounds (2 pounds/week intially, now slowed to around 0.5 pounds/week). I'm quite active (so may be more muscular for my age), but didn't materially increase my activity during this time period.

Initial waist measurement was 36.5", hip measurement 45.5".
    Recent waist measurement is 30, hip measurement 38.5".

(I may be a fraction smaller now, haven't written it down since 10/5 and it's the wrong time of day to do it now.)

Starting size jeans was U.S. women's size 16 (getting tight). Current size jeans is U.S. misses 6 (fits reasonably correctly).

So, it took me more like 6 months to lose the 6" at a reasonably healthy weight-loss rate, but (from memory) by around the 3 month mark, which you're talking about, I was down to a U.S. misses size 12 sometime in July, and my waist was 33-34" (I know, you said size 12 was 30" waist, but this was my size & measurement then - that's all I know.)

HTH. Your mileage will vary.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

If you read her post, she wants to lose inches in her waist. She also knows that she is using a size 14L (36inches) and she wants to use a size 12 (30 inches). So that's her goal. No matter how many pounds she will lose, she wants to reduce her waist, so her "measuring tape" will be her 14L pants at the waist.
    Of course she can fit perfectly in the thighs, but I was talking about the waist area of the pants, not thighs or calves.

But thank you for the note ;)

I understand, my point was that losing a lot of weight might not drop someone more than one pant size. For some people, it might. There's not really a hard and fast rule that X number of pounds lost will let you drop one pant size, it depends entirely on your body's shape. That's part of what she seemed to be asking; but i'll be the first to admit I sometimes pick up the wrong point! XD
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I can go down a full pant size with about 8 lbs lost. I think it just really depends on how and where you carry your weight. But truly, follow the plan you have going and good things will happen. :)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Is it humanly possible? Sure. Is it possible for you? We have no clue, stranger. Good luck.