Cheap Menu Solutions

Options
Being a broke college kid has advantages, but also has its pitfalls. One of them, is finding cheap, healthy recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When I only have $20 left for groceries for a week and I really need to make it last, I really don't know what I'm looking for when I go into the grocery store because the cheapest things are the most processed or awful for you. HELP!

Replies

• cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    All I can say is dried beans!!! They are high fiber, high protein, low fat.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot? If so, you can do all kinds of things with it. Lately I made some awesome mexican shredded chicken in mine. I put chicken breasts in there (however much you want, can be frozen), a can of corn, can of rotel, and about a cup of salsa. Cook on high for 4 hours and the chicken will fall apart. I stuff it into a whole wheat tortilla. Pretty cheap to make and lasts a good week!
  • bjorgen2
    bjorgen2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    eggs, oatmeal, bananas- seasonal fruit and veggies. I use to raid my parents pantry before returning to school too!
  • ascrof
    ascrof Posts: 34
    Options
    i agree....oatmeal, egg whites, cans of tuna, dried beans and brown rice, stop at a farmers market
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    rolled oats. a 2lb carton is around $2.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I went shopping at Sams for the things I ate a lot of and bought chicken breast on sale or in the big freezer bags.
    Yes, a lot of the healthier stuff is more expensive :(
    Try frozen veggies in the big bags (without the sauces), salads (esp when the packs are BOGO), fish and soups. Things that can last long so you can make in bulk and freeze... just an idea.

http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2004/02/master-recipe-list.html
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I've often wished I were one of those super couponers that could get food for dirt cheap! I agree with cecrawfo, get a crock pot if you don't have one because they are awesome for tenderizing cheap cuts of meat that other people would over look. Look out for sales and stock up on the healthy things or hit discount grocery stores. Also, lots of farmers markets are popping up this time of year. Good luck :)
  • idrewacat
    idrewacat Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is like $2 for a big tin. It should last you a few weeks. As for lunch, um... A lot of times I make a big salad of just have soup or chili, and those are cheaper if you make them yourself and store them for the week.. Dinner is a bloody free for all. A sandwich is pretty cheap. Snacks are pretty much whatever I have left in budget. Peanut butter isn't too pricey. I have come to love bananas! So cheap. Yay.
  • StVal
    StVal Posts: 91
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but have you thought about shopping at the $1 store? I recently discovered that at a local one (I'm in San Diego), they sell fresh fruits and veggies. And fixings for a salad. Also, in the frozen section, some sell frozen meals. I've found Michaelina's and others in there. I stocked up and with $10 I had 2 weeks worth of lunches covered. Also, they sell a huge variety of spices that will make the blandest of bland food taste like a chef made it. I've learned that if you make a menu of dinner prior of grocery shopping, you would be able to stick to your budget.

On a side note, a chef friend of mine is currently writing a recipe book called "Gourmet Eating from the $1 Store" and knowing him, they will all be on the healthy side.
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am just about to graduate, but as I have been attempting to eat healthy on a college budget I feel compelled to share my secret: buy frozen, generic food in bulk. Target has great prices on this kind of thing every day! Yes, frozen food isn't as good, but it is better than canned (a LOT better than canned!) but it is almost always better than fresh and it never goes bad. I even put my bread in the freezer and use my toaster oven to crisp it up for sammies!

The other thing I love is this: http://www.bobsredmill.com/org-6-grain-right-stuff-cereal.html

Buy the big bag (25 lb for $29) and you will be eating for EVER on it! I love making 4 servings at a time and then putting them in ziploc tupperwares and eating them for breakfast the rest of the week. I add a little cinnamon and maple syrup to sweeten the deal :)
  • sechere710
    Options
    WOW! All of these are super great ideas! Thanks for the input. I try to stick with frozen as much as I can. With as big as every package is coming out, there's no WAY I could use all of it before it goes bad just by myself. But I'll definitely take these into consideration. I got a crock pot for christmas but there's only a few things that I knew what to use it for. Thanks again guys, I wouldn't know what to do without y'all!